Fourth Circuit Strikes Down North Carolina Voting Laws

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
flockofseagulls104

Re: Fourth Circuit Strikes Down North Carolina Voting Laws

#51 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:01 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
It's not paranoia when the facts demonstrate they really are out to get you. --Bob
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--7cm0wVvhc

Case closed.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

jarnon

#52 Post by jarnon » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:05 pm

North Carolina Congressional Map Ruled Unconstitutionally Gerrymandered

At first glance, this looks like a repeat of the 2016 story, but this case is about the voting map, not voting law. But it's the same legislature, with the same ultimate goal, being blasted by the same judges. No doubt it will be appealed, and the Supreme Court is already hearing gerrymandering cases from other states.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob Juch

#53 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:14 pm

jarnon wrote:North Carolina Congressional Map Ruled Unconstitutionally Gerrymandered

At first glance, this looks like a repeat of the 2016 story, but this case is about the voting map, not voting law. But it's the same legislature, with the same ultimate goal, being blasted by the same judges. No doubt it will be appealed, and the Supreme Court is already hearing gerrymandering cases from other states.
I wish someone would take them to court over not have any (or very few with long lines) polling places in the poorest areas.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

jarnon

#54 Post by jarnon » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:59 pm

jarnon wrote:North Carolina Congressional Map Ruled Unconstitutionally Gerrymandered

Here's the latest (on a free website):

Federal judges again rule North Carolina Congressional map unconstitutional
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

silverscreenselect

#55 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:23 pm

jarnon wrote:

The difference is that this time the court struck the redistricting down as a political gerrymander rather than a racial one, meaning that it's less likely to stand up, especially considering the likely makeup of the Supreme Court.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#56 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:24 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
jarnon wrote:

The difference is that this time the court struck the redistricting down as a political gerrymander rather than a racial one, meaning that it's less likely to stand up, especially considering the likely makeup of the Supreme Court.
The key issue forming the basis of the remand was standing in each district. The Court found standing. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#57 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:49 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
jarnon wrote:Here's the latest (on a free website):

The key issue forming the basis of the remand was standing in each district. The Court found standing. --Bob
Standing is a stopgap; assuming this gets appealed to the Supreme Court, they are free to reach the central issue of whether political gerrymandering is unconstitutional. Interestingly, the three member court unanimously found that the new NC map violated equal protection, but two of the three also said that it violated the free speech rights of Democrats.

Ritterskoop

#58 Post by Ritterskoop » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:07 pm

The potential new map is drawn by Jowei Chen, a University of Michigan associate professor of political science and an expert in election maps.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/ ... 47475.html
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#59 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:55 pm

This right here is another reason Republicans will be in a hurry to get Kavanaugh on the Court. They'll want his vote to stay the ruling so the gerrymandered districts stay in place for 2018. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#60 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:54 pm

Bob78164 wrote:This right here is another reason Republicans will be in a hurry to get Kavanaugh on the Court. They'll want his vote to stay the ruling so the gerrymandered districts stay in place for 2018. --Bob
Kavanaugh is a racist, right? If he gets on the court, he'll put all the black folk back in chains, like Joe said. No dem votes for him. Not one. The big question is will that be enough.
When the dems get control of congress, we'll have a genuine utopia!!!!!!
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

silverscreenselect

#61 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:27 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:This right here is another reason Republicans will be in a hurry to get Kavanaugh on the Court. They'll want his vote to stay the ruling so the gerrymandered districts stay in place for 2018. --Bob
Kavanaugh is a racist, right? If he gets on the court, he'll put all the black folk back in chains, like Joe said. No dem votes for him. Not one. The big question is will that be enough.
Flock, I didn't think it was possible but your posts are less amusing than Donald Trump's tweets.

flockofseagulls104

#62 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:37 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Flock, I didn't think it was possible but your posts are less amusing than Donald Trump's tweets.
I'm not aiming to amuse you.

silverscreenselect

#63 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:38 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote:Flock, I didn't think it was possible but your posts are less amusing than Donald Trump's tweets.
Well, a good rule of thumb is that the more lame attempts at humor you make in a post, the more it indicates that you really have no valid response to, in this case, the points that Bob made, so you wave your arms and make a lot of noise and hope the whole issue goes away.

flockofseagulls104

#64 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:37 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote:Flock, I didn't think it was possible but your posts are less amusing than Donald Trump's tweets.
Well, a good rule of thumb is that the more lame attempts at humor you make in a post, the more it indicates that you really have no valid response to, in this case, the points that Bob made, so you wave your arms and make a lot of noise and hope the whole issue goes away.
You have just proven my point for me. You don't read what I post anyway. It's Groundhog Day.

I got you, babe.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#65 Post by Vandal » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:19 am

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Estonut
Evil Genius

#66 Post by Estonut » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:24 am

Do you not see your problem here?
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Bob Juch

#67 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:44 am

Estonut wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:I'm not aiming to amuse you.
Do you not see your problem here?
Do you see yours?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#68 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:36 am

Don't expect redistricting in time for the 2018 elections. Apparently the plaintiffs are telling the Court it's not practicable at this point. So North Carolina's politicians have gotten to select their voters for another cycle. Just one more to go before the whole merry-go-round begins again. --Bob

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#69 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:48 pm

Resting its 357-page decision entirely on state constitutional grounds, and expressly determining that the issue is justiciable on those grounds in state court, a three-judge panel in North Carolina has unanimously ruled that its legislative lines constitute an unconstitutional partisan gerrymander and cannot be used for the 2020 elections. The court also has refused to stay its decision pending appeal. --Bob

silverscreenselect

#70 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Sep 03, 2019 3:01 pm

Bob78164 wrote:Resting its 357-page decision entirely on state constitutional grounds, and expressly determining that the issue is justiciable on those grounds in state court, a three-judge panel in North Carolina has unanimously ruled that its legislative lines constitute an unconstitutional partisan gerrymander and cannot be used for the 2020 elections. The court also has refused to stay its decision pending appeal. --Bob
Next Tuesday is the special election in the 9th North Carolina district, which has been vacant since the last results were thrown out due to improprieties by official connected with the Republican campaign. Democrat Dan McCready (who was the Democratic candidate in 2018) is running against a different Republican this time, Dan Bishop, the State Senator who sponsored the "bathroom bill." The race is considered a tossup. In addition, there is a special election in the 3rd disctrict to replace longtime representative Walter Jones, who died a few months back. That district is considered safely Republican.

jarnon

#71 Post by jarnon » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:13 am

Congressman Mark Meadows, a rabid Trump backer from Transylvania County, N.C., is not seeking reelection. His district is more competitive now.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

silverscreenselect

#72 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:56 am

jarnon wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:13 am
Congressman Mark Meadows, a rabid Trump backer from Transylvania County, N.C., is not seeking reelection. His district is more competitive now.
The press has fixated on how the impeachment votes are going to affect "vulnerable" Democrats without a mention of how this may play out for Republicans. I'm sure voters in Colorado and Maine will remember how Cory Gardner and Susan Collins conduct themselves during this trial.

silverscreenselect

#73 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:05 am

jarnon wrote:
The deadline for filing for the 2020 election in North Carolina is tomorrow, which means that potential Republican successors will not have much time to meet the requirements (Meadows had not yet filed for re-election). He says that he may resign earlier, which would result in a special election for the remainder of his term, but the winner of that election would not automatically be on the ballot for a new term.

Bob Juch

#74 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:20 pm

jarnon wrote:
George Holding announced he's not seeking reelection last week for the same reason.

silverscreenselect

#75 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:59 am

Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:05 am
jarnon wrote:
The deadline for filing for the 2020 election in North Carolina is tomorrow, which means that potential Republican successors will not have much time to meet the requirements (Meadows had not yet filed for re-election). He says that he may resign earlier, which would result in a special election for the remainder of his term, but the winner of that election would not automatically be on the ballot for a new term.
Another follow-up on the Meadows situation. The deadline for filing is noon today. Also, nobody who is running for another office can file (which makes sense). In most cases, a person removes his or her name from the list for one office before filing for another. EXCEPT, the deadline for doing that was Tuesday. So, any Republicans already on the ballot anywhere in the State of North Carolina can't run (for the regular term) and anyone else only has a couple of hours left to do so. Of course, there will be a special election for the rest of Meadows' term if he resigns early instead of merely retiring and there would be separate qualifying for that.