Kavanaugh

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
tlynn78

Re: Kavanaugh

#26 Post by tlynn78 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:12 pm

Do the pudendum chapeaux protect from the sky falling? Asking for a friend.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

flockofseagulls104

#27 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:27 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:I'll get over it when we get the seat back. And not before. --Bob
bob-tel. Garland would NOT have been confirmed even if he had hearings. We saved a whole lot of money. (Well not actually, they just overspent it on something else.) Your side would have done the same thing if the roles were reversed, AND YOU KNOW IT. Your comrades ensured that years ago during the Bork hearings. Besides, the SC should not be politically driven. It's a travesty that it is. But regardless, it was not your seat.

But we've discussed this before. I know you don't read any posts by people you disagree with. I've proven it.
Bork got hearings. Bork got a vote. If Garland had received hearings and a vote, I wouldn't be crying foul.

McConnell didn't refuse Garland a hearing because he knew Garland wouldn't be confirmed. He refused Garland a hearing because he knew damn well that Garland would be confirmed. Too many Republicans in tight Senate races would have been forced by their constituents to vote yes. And if not, then one way or another, their votes would have made them accountable to their constituents. That's how the process is supposed to work.

I don't think Democrats would have voted down a centrist Republican nominee (one in the mold of, say, Kennedy) if the positions had been reversed, but I may be wrong about that. But I am certain that they would have afforded such a nominee a hearing. We'll never know for sure, though, because McConnell's theft of a seat changed the rules and I don't see that change reversing itself any time soon.

In 2012 I voted for the candidate I wanted appointing Justices for the next four years. My candidate won. McConnell stole my vote. I want it back, and I won't shut up about it until I get it back. --Bob
Yes, I forgot that democrats are the most reasonable, incorruptible people in the world. (The Echo Chamber World that you SSS and BJ live in, anyway.) That's why Reid unilaterally changed the rules on confirmations in the first place. I want back the seats that Reid stole!!!! Nyah Nyah. And why Schumer sabotaged himself on this nomination.

Consider shutting up anyway, just out of general consideration to other people that don't live in the echo chamber.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#28 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:29 pm

elwoodblues wrote:
Kavanaugh was and is well-liked and respected, they said, “a thoughtful classmate and loyal friend."
Nice to know that someone who is about to help overturn the Voting Rights Act is a good guy.
Seriously, what. the. fuck. I thought you were more reasonable.
Well, then

elwoodblues

#29 Post by elwoodblues » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:53 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
elwoodblues wrote:
Kavanaugh was and is well-liked and respected, they said, “a thoughtful classmate and loyal friend."
Nice to know that someone who is about to help overturn the Voting Rights Act is a good guy.
Seriously, what. the. fuck. I thought you were more reasonable.
Okay, that may have been a bit of hyperbole. I am just concerned about the direction in which the country is going.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#30 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:57 pm

We already have voter ids. Many versions. Jeezaree
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#31 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:00 pm

Beebs52 wrote:We already have voter ids. Many versions. Jeezaree
And not one of them prevents people from voting by mail. Their purpose and effect are to hold down the turnout of groups that traditionally vote Democratic.

Why is it, for instance, that Texas accepts gun licenses but not student IDs? I think it's to make it harder for students to vote and easier for gun owners to vote. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#32 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:04 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
And not one of them prevents people from voting by mail. Their purpose and effect are to hold down the turnout of groups that traditionally vote Democratic.

Why is it, for instance, that Texas accepts gun licenses but not student IDs? I think it's to make it harder for students to vote and easier for gun owners to vote. --Bob
States' rights, whatever. Honestly, why would I want your criteria/list? Tiring
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#33 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:23 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

States' rights, whatever. Honestly, why would I want your criteria/list? Tiring
Because you care if eligible voters are being deprived of the fundamental right to vote. Which is exactly what's happening.

In North Carolina, the courts found that the Legislature "with almost surgical precision" intentionally drafted its Voter ID law to target minority voters, deeming those IDs more likely to be used by minority voters to be invalid while those less likely to be used by minority voters valid (among other tactics). We know they did this because Republican legislative leaders requested, and received, breakdowns by race of who used which type of ID, and then crafted their law to exclude the types of ID used mostly by minority voters. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#34 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:29 pm

It was struck down, so, yay? Done
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#35 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:32 pm

Beebs52 wrote:It was struck down, so, yay? Done
But the elected representatives who intentionally targeted minorities are still in office, so not done. And the Texas Voter ID requirements are still in litigation. The Fifth Circuit (probably the most conservative in the nation) has problems with them. --Bob

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#36 Post by Beebs52 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:41 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:It was struck down, so, yay? Done
But the elected representatives who intentionally targeted minorities are still in office, so not done. And the Texas Voter ID requirements are still in litigation. The Fifth Circuit (probably the most conservative in the nation) has problems with them. --Bob
Oh well.
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#37 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:05 am

It looks like the Committee’s Republicans are playing games to hide information. They designated a bunch of documents as Committee Confidential, which means they can’t be publicly discussed or disclosed. The potential penalty for breaching that confidentiality is expulsion from the Senate (although that takes a two-thirds vote so it’s not happening).

Some of those documents have leaked. And Senator Cory Booker has released others. For the life of me I can’t see any basis for hiding these documents from the American people. On the other hand, I can see why Kavanaugh’s advocates wouldn’t want them released. One set gives a clear answer to whether he considers Roe v. Wade settled law (he doesn’t), and another expresses his view about affirmative action (he seems to think it’s almost always unconstitutional).

Whether you agree with his views or not, there’s no reason to misuse confidentiality to hide those views from the public. Especially in connection with the most consequential Supreme Court nomination of our lifetimes. What do Republicans have against transparency? Could it be that they know the public will vote against them if the truth is revealed? —Bob

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#38 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 12:04 pm

Bob78164 wrote:It looks like the Committee’s Republicans are playing games to hide information. They designated a bunch of documents as Committee Confidential, which means they can’t be publicly discussed or disclosed. The potential penalty for breaching that confidentiality is expulsion from the Senate (although that takes a two-thirds vote so it’s not happening).

Some of those documents have leaked. And Senator Cory Booker has released others. For the life of me I can’t see any basis for hiding these documents from the American people. On the other hand, I can see why Kavanaugh’s advocates wouldn’t want them released. One set gives a clear answer to whether he considers Roe v. Wade settled law (he doesn’t), and another expresses his view about affirmative action (he seems to think it’s almost always unconstitutional).

Whether you agree with his views or not, there’s no reason to misuse confidentiality to hide those views from the public. Especially in connection with the most consequential Supreme Court nomination of our lifetimes. What do Republicans have against transparency? Could it be that they know the public will vote against them if the truth is revealed? —Bob
Docs were cleared for release before Booker's grandstand.
Well, then

Bob Juch

#39 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:35 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:It looks like the Committee’s Republicans are playing games to hide information. They designated a bunch of documents as Committee Confidential, which means they can’t be publicly discussed or disclosed. The potential penalty for breaching that confidentiality is expulsion from the Senate (although that takes a two-thirds vote so it’s not happening).

There are more to come. One newly released email shows Kavanaugh twice gave false testimony under oath about his knowledge of warrantless wiretapping.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

earendel

#40 Post by earendel » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:40 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:

There are more to come. One newly released email shows Kavanaugh twice gave false testimony under oath about his knowledge of warrantless wiretapping.
And, regrettably, none of it will amount to a hill of beans. The railroad is on the track and has a full head of steam.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#41 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:53 pm

I question whether any of you have been watching, understand context or just don't care because he's a Trump appointee.
Well, then

Bob Juch

#42 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:02 pm

Beebs52 wrote:I question whether any of you have been watching, understand context or just don't care because he's a Trump appointee.
Imagine if every criminal got to pick his judge.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#43 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:05 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:I question whether any of you have been watching, understand context or just don't care because he's a Trump appointee.
Imagine if every criminal got to pick his judge.
Imagine if you dint live in bileland.
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#44 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:57 pm

Beebs52 wrote:

Misses the point. Why were they ever designated confidential in the first place? --Bob

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#45 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:58 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:

Misses the point. Why were they ever designated confidential in the first place? --Bob
Who knows. Let us know when your sources find out.
Well, then

flockofseagulls104

#46 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:48 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:

Don't worry. The documents are coming. They're in the queue, right after the documents the House requested from the DOJ about the Russia probe. Shouldn't be long now.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

flockofseagulls104

#47 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:54 pm

Whoa, just heard the hard drives containing Kavanaugh's emails were accidentally formatted, left in a vat of sulphuric acid overnight, and unfortunately smashed with a sledge hammer.

Maybe the russians have a copy.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#48 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 6:56 pm

And then there's this.

Here's the short version. During the Bush Administration, confidential strategy information relating to judicial confirmations was stolen from Democratic servers. The content made it highly obvious that the material was not intended for release to the Administration, and the hacking was discovered. A couple of years later, after the hacking had come to light, Kavanaugh testified under oath during his own confirmation hearings for the D.C. Circuit. He said under oath, repeatedly, that he'd never seen any of the stolen material.

That testimony was false. Records now in the Judiciary Committee's possession demonstrate that Kavanaugh in fact had, and discussed the contents of, the stolen material. So we now know that he committed perjury during his confirmation hearings to the D.C. Circuit. And remember, Kavanaugh said that Bill Clinton should be impeached for lying at a civil deposition. All I ask is for Kavanaugh to live by the same standard he applied to his political opponents. --Bob

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#49 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:27 pm

Here is an e-mail (released yesterday) that Kavanaugh received on the subject. It starts, "I have a friend who is a mole on the left."

Remember, his testimony in 2004 is that he never saw any of the stolen information. His testimony this time around was that maybe he got them, but he had no idea at the time they were stolen. --Bob

flockofseagulls104

#50 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:08 pm

Bob78164 wrote:Here is an e-mail (released yesterday) that Kavanaugh received on the subject. It starts, "I have a friend who is a mole on the left."

Remember, his testimony in 2004 is that he never saw any of the stolen information. His testimony this time around was that maybe he got them, but he had no idea at the time they were stolen. --Bob
Well, it looks like he lied. The dems found something! If that is a disqualification for public office, I doubt we'd have anyone qualified to serve in the federal government, which would be alright by me. Which doesn't excuse it, but it shows what a frickin game it is in Washington. This group of corrupt politicians pointing fingers at another group of dirty politicians, all of them getting rich and buying power at our expense. And you have no comment at all as to the content of the email. Warren Buffet anonymously giving 20 million to PP to influence who will be a judge. What do they use that money for, anyway?

Yeah, bob-tel, elect democrats and we'll have a pure as snow utopia and everyone will be whistling zippity doo-dah out their asshole. Right.....

We need a Convention of the States. Limit terms on Congress and on the Supreme Court. Senators chosen by the state legislatures, not by popular vote.