Take off your Nikes before setting them on fire

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

Take off your Nikes before setting them on fire

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:45 pm

Spoiler

It appeared that “Mustard” had fused himself to the very company he was trying so desperately to separate himself from when some of the pieces from the sneakers became grafted to his feet as a result of the flames.

“Docter says I may lose them anyway so I may just have them amputated,” he wrote in a follow-up tweet.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

Re: Take off your Nikes before setting them on fire

#2 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:49 pm

It appears that Trump still has a lot of supporters among non-college educated white males.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:54 pm

As much as people had a field day commenting over the idiotic stunt, Internet sleuths revealed the whole thing was a hoax.

“Mustard”‘s real name is Phil Braun. He is a writer and an online comedian who supports Nike’s decision to team up with Kaepernick.

The picture of the burnt feet are not his.

According to Snopes, the burned victim’s feet belong to an unidentified patient at the Alfred Hospital in Melbourne, Australia.

The photograph was made available as early as March 2017 on the Victorian State Trauma System website.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Hale Bopper
Merry Man

#4 Post by Hale Bopper » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:05 pm

It's so much easier to just drink the Kool Aid and ride the comet....

Estonut
Evil Genius

#5 Post by Estonut » Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:54 am

silverscreenselect wrote:It appears that Trump still has a lot of supporters among non-college educated white males.
I didn't hear about any of them falling for this.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

silverscreenselect

#6 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:09 am

Once again, Nike proves itself smarter than Donald Trump or those people who set their shoes on fire either with or without their feet in them. Nike sales grew 31% over the Labor Day holiday weekend in comparison with last year.

http://time.com/5390884/nike-sales-go-up-kaepernick-ad/

BackInTex

#7 Post by BackInTex » Mon Sep 10, 2018 8:31 am

silverscreenselect wrote:Once again, Nike proves itself smarter than Donald Trump or those people who set their shoes on fire either with or without their feet in them. Nike sales grew 31% over the Labor Day holiday weekend in comparison with last year.

Looking at a one time SJW spike. Over time, which is what really matters, you and they will see a decline.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#8 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:00 am

BackInTex wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:Once again, Nike proves itself smarter than Donald Trump or those people who set their shoes on fire either with or without their feet in them. Nike sales grew 31% over the Labor Day holiday weekend in comparison with last year.

Looking at a one time SJW spike. Over time, which is what really matters, you and they will see a decline.
No, because political boycotts tend to be short-lived on both sides of the political spectrum. Remember all those anti-Disney boycotts because of the company's stance on gay rights. It hasn't seemed to hurt their bottom line very much over the years.

Spock

#9 Post by Spock » Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:33 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:It appears that Trump still has a lot of supporters among non-college educated white males.
I see we made a bit of a logical leap here based on nothing.

I will put electricians, plumbers, bricklayers etc etc well ahead of Womyn's Studies majors in the common sense department.

flockofseagulls104

#10 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:12 pm

Spock wrote:
I see we made a bit of a logical leap here based on nothing.

I will put electricians, plumbers, bricklayers etc etc well ahead of Womyn's Studies majors in the common sense department.
Don't bother to correct him. It was a typical bigotted statement which he is famous for. He cain't hepp it.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

silverscreenselect

#11 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:27 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote: Don't bother to correct him. It was a typical bigotted statement which he is famous for. He cain't hepp it.
My statement was based on statistics. What you can't hepp is making unfunny jokes when you have no response based on the facts.

jarnon

#12 Post by jarnon » Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:21 pm

Nike's yanking of Betsy Ross sneaker sparks controversy

As you might expect, this move is unpopular here, especially this time of year between Flag Day and July 4.

Kaepernick isn't all wrong. In 1776 slavery was legal in all 13 states. And Ross herself didn't have the right to vote or other benefits of citizenship that her male relatives did. But I think we can still celebrate what the Founders started, a country that over the centuries has extended the boundaries of liberty. Nike's not hypocritical when it sells both Betsy Ross and Kaepernick shoes.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob Juch

#13 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:00 pm

jarnon wrote:Nike's yanking of Betsy Ross sneaker sparks controversy

As you might expect, this move is unpopular here, especially this time of year between Flag Day and July 4.

Kaepernick isn't all wrong. In 1776 slavery was legal in all 13 states. And Ross herself didn't have the right to vote or other benefits of citizenship that her male relatives did. But I think we can still celebrate what the Founders started, a country that over the centuries has extended the boundaries of liberty. Nike's not hypocritical when it sells both Betsy Ross and Kaepernick shoes.
There's no evidence that Betsy Ross mad that or any other flag.

silverscreenselect

#14 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:11 pm

BackInTex wrote:

Since jarnon brought this thread back up, I thought I would take another look at one of BiT's prognostications. This one is right up there with his prediction about his Congressional race. This article appeared before the Betsy Ross controversy.
CNBC wrote:Nike sold more sneakers and sports gear during the fiscal fourth quarter than Wall Street expected, helping to boost revenues by 4% to just over $10 billion. Its earnings released Thursday, however, missed analysts’ expectations by a few pennies a share, and the stock initially fell by more than 4% in after-hours trading before rebounding. Shares were trading slightly positive at 6 p.m. ET.

Nike earned 62 cents a share on an adjusted basis during the three months ended May 31, short of Wall Street’s forecast for 66 cents a share, according to average analysts’ estimates compiled by Refinitiv. Revenues for the Nike brand, which excludes Converse merchandise, jumped 10% from the same quarter last year to $9.7 billion. Converse sales were about flat at $491 million. Total sales in North America, excluding fluctuations in currency rates, were up 8% to $4.17 billion. Sales in the China region surged 22% to $1.70 billion.

The stock is up about 17% over the past 12 months, bringing the retailer’s market cap to roughly $131.4 billion. It’s also significantly outperformed the S&P 500 Retail ETF (XRT), which is down 14% from a year ago.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/27/nike-re ... nings.html

BackInTex

#15 Post by BackInTex » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:19 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
BackInTex wrote:

Since jarnon brought this thread back up, I thought I would take another look at one of BiT's prognostications. This one is right up there with his prediction about his Congressional race. This article appeared before the Betsy Ross controversy.
CNBC wrote:Nike sold more sneakers and sports gear during the fiscal fourth quarter than Wall Street expected, helping to boost revenues by 4% to just over $10 billion. Its earnings released Thursday, however, missed analysts’ expectations by a few pennies a share, and the stock initially fell by more than 4% in after-hours trading before rebounding. Shares were trading slightly positive at 6 p.m. ET.

Nike earned 62 cents a share on an adjusted basis during the three months ended May 31, short of Wall Street’s forecast for 66 cents a share, according to average analysts’ estimates compiled by Refinitiv. Revenues for the Nike brand, which excludes Converse merchandise, jumped 10% from the same quarter last year to $9.7 billion. Converse sales were about flat at $491 million. Total sales in North America, excluding fluctuations in currency rates, were up 8% to $4.17 billion. Sales in the China region surged 22% to $1.70 billion.

The stock is up about 17% over the past 12 months, bringing the retailer’s market cap to roughly $131.4 billion. It’s also significantly outperformed the S&P 500 Retail ETF (XRT), which is down 14% from a year ago.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/27/nike-re ... nings.html
Even losers are winning in the Trump economy.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

jarnon

#16 Post by jarnon » Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:02 pm

Bob Juch wrote:There's no evidence that Betsy Ross mad that or any other flag.
Wikipedia wrote:Ross was one of those hired to make flags for the Pennsylvania fleet. An entry dated May 29, 1777, in the records of the Pennsylvania Navy Board includes an order to pay her for her work. It is worded as follows:

An order on William Webb to Elizabeth
Ross for fourteen pounds twelve shillings and two
pence for Making Ships Colours [etc.] put into William
Richards store……………………………………….£14.12.2
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

BackInTex

#17 Post by BackInTex » Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:20 pm

jarnon wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:Ross was one of those hired to make flags for the Pennsylvania fleet. An entry dated May 29, 1777, in the records of the Pennsylvania Navy Board includes an order to pay her for her work. It is worded as follows:

Oh, THAT Betsy Ross.

How sad for Bob to live in a country he is obviously ashamed of.

I’m sure Honduras or Liberia waoukd accept his application for immigration.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#18 Post by Bob Juch » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:00 pm

BackInTex wrote:
jarnon wrote:

Oh, THAT Betsy Ross.

How sad for Bob to live in a country he is obviously ashamed of.

I’m sure Honduras or Liberia waoukd accept his application for immigration.
I suppose you're proud of our slaveholding past.

silverscreenselect

#19 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:46 am

I wish they had kept that design for the flag so I could have avoided a certain question on Millionaire.

Bob Juch

#20 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:47 pm

Why Is Everyone So Upset About the Betsy Ross Flag?

There’s a pretty long history of the flag being used by extremist right-wing movements — and a recent move by Nike has brought that into the spotlight.

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/cu ... an-854612/

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#21 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:47 pm

Bob Juch wrote:Why Is Everyone So Upset About the Betsy Ross Flag?

There’s a pretty long history of the flag being used by extremist right-wing movements — and a recent move by Nike has brought that into the spotlight.

You are crazed. Cheese weasels. Find something positive to do.
Well, then

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#22 Post by silvercamaro » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:07 pm

Thank you everso, Bob. I've been wondering what kind of "logic" suddenly turned Betsy Ross into one of the bad guys. I will point out that an even longer history exists for people in right-wing movements who have chosen to breathe oxygen into their lungs. Obviously, breathing oxygen is a bad thing, and everyone must stop that now.

You go first.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

Spock

#23 Post by Spock » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:20 am

silvercamaro wrote:

Thank you everso, Bob. I've been wondering what kind of "logic" suddenly turned Betsy Ross into one of the bad guys. I will point out that an even longer history exists for people in right-wing movements who have chosen to breathe oxygen into their lungs. Obviously, breathing oxygen is a bad thing, and everyone must stop that now.

You go first.
https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/b ... ressivism/

Charles Cooke's column on the Betsy Ross thing. He mentions that many have referenced the speed at which we are dropping Ross into the Memory Hole but he has another angle.

Pull Quote>>>"The Party has spoken, and the apparatchiks are enforcing the new line. It’s creepy as hell."<<<

silverscreenselect

#24 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:31 am

Spock wrote: He mentions that many have referenced the speed at which we are dropping Ross into the Memory Hole but he has another angle.

Pull Quote>>>"The Party has spoken, and the apparatchiks are enforcing the new line. It’s creepy as hell."<<<
First, the blowback against the "Betsy Ross flag" has nothing to do with Betsy personally. It's due to the fact that the flag has been appropriated by white nationalist and hate groups over the years, not to the extent of the Confederate battle flag, but still significantly.

This isn't the first time in recent history this has happened. Before the 1920's the swastika was considered a good luck symbol and a lot of products, including Coca-cola, used it in their advertising. Now, of course, no one uses it.

Place the blame where it should be, on the white nationalists, not on those who are offended by their appropriation of the Betsy Ross flag.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-29644591

jarnon

#25 Post by jarnon » Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:03 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:First, the blowback against the "Betsy Ross flag" has nothing to do with Betsy personally. It's due to the fact that the flag has been appropriated by white nationalist and hate groups over the years, not to the extent of the Confederate battle flag, but still significantly.

This isn't the first time in recent history this has happened. Before the 1920's the swastika was considered a good luck symbol and a lot of products, including Coca-cola, used it in their advertising. Now, of course, no one uses it.

Place the blame where it should be, on the white nationalists, not on those who are offended by their appropriation of the Betsy Ross flag.
No, we can't let white nationalists pervert our heritage! Unlike the Confederate flag, the Betsy Ross flag has stood for many admirable ideas before they tried to appropriate it. Letting them redefine it as a racist symbol is giving them power. We have to take it back!

Similarly, in Europe, racists are claiming Greek and Roman culture as part of white European tradition, even though many classical figures were darker than the people they hate. They think the ancient Mediterraneans looked like the bleached marble statues they see in museums.
Last edited by jarnon on Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי