I'm beginning to find Beto O'Rourke impressive

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

I'm beginning to find Beto O'Rourke impressive

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:14 pm

In this video, in response to a question from a veteran, Rep. O'Rourke (who is running against Ted Cruz for the Senate) explains why, in his view, it's not disrespectful for NFL players to take a knee during the national anthem.

I've been waiting to see whether his campaign is viable to decide whether to contribute to his campaign. After watching this video, I'm not at all sure I care any more. He may well get my money even if I don't think he can win. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

Re: I'm beginning to find Beto O'Rourke impressive

#2 Post by BackInTex » Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:07 pm

Please do send him your money.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

elwoodblues

#3 Post by elwoodblues » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:12 pm

I can't afford to send him money, but I will vote for him and for Ted Cruz to slither back under his rock.

BackInTex

#4 Post by BackInTex » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:27 pm

..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#5 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:44 pm

You can tell when BIT is getting nervous.

Beto O'Rourke Leads Cruz by 2 Among Likely Voters
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#6 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:51 pm

Why are we limiting immigration arbitrarily when there are lots of jobs at legal wages going unfilled because employers can't find anyone willing to take them at the wages they can afford to pay? It makes more sense to help our economy by accepting workers who will help us grow our economy.

I believe the employers in this case because if they could afford higher wages, I believe they'd make the economically rational decision to fill the jobs by increasing wages rather than allowing the jobs to remain unfilled. In other words, their actions (allowing the positions to remain unfilled) speak louder than words to me. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#7 Post by BackInTex » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:00 pm

Aside from the fact he completely ignores the racist undertones of Beto's comment...
Bob78164 wrote: I believe the employers in this case because if they could afford higher wages, I believe they'd make the economically rational decision to fill the jobs by increasing wages rather than allowing the jobs to remain unfilled. In other words, their actions (allowing the positions to remain unfilled) speak louder than words to me. --Bob
If employers can not be profitable by increasing wages enough to fill vacancies then it their products that are not needed or wanted. We don't need to import poverty to put undesired products in the market.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#8 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:00 pm

By the way, the population of Roscoe, TX, which Beto was talking about is 75% white and 1% black. So it's not poor blacks unwilling to work the cotton gins; it's poor whites unwilling to work the gins. Here in Georgia, we have poultry processing plants that involve some of the most disgusting work around. They are located in areas with largely white populations yet the workforce in predominantly Hispanic.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob Juch

#9 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:43 pm

He did not say illegal immigrants are needed to work the cotton gin, he said immigrants are needed.

BTW, cotton gin tastes terrible.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#10 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:18 pm

BackInTex wrote:Aside from the fact he completely ignores the racist undertones of Beto's comment...
Bob78164 wrote: I believe the employers in this case because if they could afford higher wages, I believe they'd make the economically rational decision to fill the jobs by increasing wages rather than allowing the jobs to remain unfilled. In other words, their actions (allowing the positions to remain unfilled) speak louder than words to me. --Bob
If employers can not be profitable by increasing wages enough to fill vacancies then it their products that are not needed or wanted. We don't need to import poverty to put undesired products in the market.
That's just not true. All it means is that the marginal value of those employees is less than their marginal costs at the wage rates the employees are demanding (plus a reasonable return on capital). If people currently excluded from the work force are willing to perform the work at lower legal rates, then everyone wins.

Crops aren't rotting on the ground because people don't want them. It's because not enough Americans are willing to accept the wages being offered to pick them. If foreigners are willing to accept those wages and if the wages are sufficient to allow them an acceptable standard of living (one that doesn't require public support), then why not accept their labor? --Bob

BackInTex

#11 Post by BackInTex » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:22 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:Aside from the fact he completely ignores the racist undertones of Beto's comment...
That's just not true. All it means is that the marginal value of those employees is less than their marginal costs at the wage rates the employees are demanding (plus a reasonable return on capital). If people currently excluded from the work force are willing to perform the work at lower legal rates, then everyone wins.

Crops aren't rotting on the ground because people don't want them. It's because not enough Americans are willing to accept the wages being offered to pick them. If foreigners are willing to accept those wages and if the wages are sufficient to allow them an acceptable standard of living (one that doesn't require public support), then why not accept their labor? --Bob
I forgot. Economics is not in your wheelhouse.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#12 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:26 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

I forgot. Economics is not in your wheelhouse.
Why am I wrong? Don't be afraid to use math. --Bob

tlynn78

#13 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:39 pm

This thread title is always good for a chuckle.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Bob Juch

#14 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:42 pm

tlynn78 wrote:This thread title is always good for a chuckle.
Get used to calling him Senator O'Rourke.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#15 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:54 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Chuckle.
Well, then

tlynn78

#16 Post by tlynn78 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:25 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
Chuckle.
Indeed. I don't even call my own senators, Senator.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

jarnon

#17 Post by jarnon » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:30 pm

Here's another great excerpt of a speech by O'Rourke, about the Dallas cop who mistakenly shot a man in his own home:

https://twitter.com/tedcruz/status/1043278255740973058

Oddly, I saw this clip, not on YouTube, but on Twitter, where it was posted by Cruz, just before the two debated in Dallas. Cruz must agree with O'Rourke that police shouldn't shoot innocent people in their homes. I found a longer video of the same speech on YouTube that also has some controversial opinions, for example, discrimination against ex-convicts is the new Jim Crow. Maybe Cruz's staff posted the wrong clip.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

BackInTex

#18 Post by BackInTex » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:03 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Is his dad giving him a new nickname?

BTW, who are you voting for for senator of AZ?
~~ Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#19 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:00 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
More like Sgt O'Rourke.
I don't know why everybody says you're so dumb.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Bob Juch

#20 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:01 am

BackInTex wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
Is his dad giving him a new nickname?

BTW, who are you voting for for senator of AZ?
Kyrsten Sinema, of course. She's in a statistical tie with Martha McSally.

jarnon

#21 Post by jarnon » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:51 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
BackInTex wrote:BTW, who are you voting for for senator of AZ?
BiT seems to be aware of the controversy around Sinema. She was a far-left antiwar activist 15 years ago, but in recent years, especially in Congress, she's been very pro-military.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

flockofseagulls104

#22 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:41 pm

Beto's theme song:

The end of the Civil War was near
When quite accidentally,
A hero who sneezed abruptly seized
Retreat and reversed it to victory.

His medal of honor pleased and thrilled
his proud little family group.
While pinning it on some blood was spilled
And so it was planned he'd command F Troop.

Where Indian fights are colorful sights
and nobody takes a lickin'
Where pale face and redskin
Both turn chicken.

When drilling and fighting get them down,
They know their morale can't droop.
As long as they all relax in town
Before they resume with a bang and a boom
BE-TO!

(I got that from bite-bart. Or was it Laura Ingram. I can't remember. I wish we had a conservative batphone.)
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Bob Juch

#23 Post by Bob Juch » Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:49 pm

jarnon wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
BiT seems to be aware of the controversy around Sinema. She was a far-left antiwar activist 15 years ago, but in recent years, especially in Congress, she's been very pro-military.
You can be anti-war and pro-military at the same time.

BackInTex

#24 Post by BackInTex » Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:59 pm

jarnon wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
So what someone did or who they were 15 years ago doesn't matter now? What about 35 years ago?
~~ Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#25 Post by BackInTex » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:00 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
jarnon wrote:
Bob Juch wrote: Kyrsten Sinema, of course. She's in a statistical tie with Martha McSally.
You can be anti-war and pro-military at the same time.
But she wasn't. She was anti-both.
~~ Thomas Jefferson