Flake Has an Out if He Wants

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
jarnon

Re: Flake Has an Out if He Wants

#51 Post by jarnon » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:04 pm

Bob Juch wrote:I hope Kavanaugh gets confirmed. That will ensure a Democrat takeover of both the House and Senate. He'll get impeached along with trump.
Be careful what you hope for.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50863&p=505206#p505206
Last edited by jarnon on Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#52 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:14 pm

jarnon wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:I hope Kavanaugh gets confirmed. That will ensure a Democrat takeover of both the House and Senate. He'll get impeached along with trump.
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=50863&p=505206#p505206

Well, that saved Esto some work tonight....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

flockofseagulls104

#53 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:25 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:Not until the House Judiciary Committee uses its subpoena power to begin a real investigation. Which should be the first order of business on January 3. In the meantime, anyone who thinks this farce of an investigation was inadequate should vote Democratic. Because otherwise Republicans, spurred on by their primary voters (the only ones most Congressional Republicans are actually worried about) will continue to hide the truth from the American people, and we deserve better. --Bob
The REAL investigation is why Feinstein hid the letter for 2 months while setting Ford up with a completely democrat controlled partisan lawyer, and had it leaked to delay the nomination.

bob-tel, the guy has had 7 FBI investigations into his background. The first one was right after college. He didn't have trump to shield him then. There were no shackles. (Is that a batphone word? I'll see if I hear it 50 times on the news tonite). If he had ANY history of being a slobbering sex crazed drunk, I think the FBI, unless they are totally incompetent, would have reported it.

The guy has served in several high profile, very sensitive positions since then. The vast majority, if not all, of the people who actually know him and worked with him have publically endorsed him and defended him against this accusation. As far as I know there has not been a hint of any questionable personal behavior against him until a couple weeks ago, and now he is a suddenly a degenerate reprobate.

How many background checks has Dr. Ford had? BJ (I think) has found a questionable list from a questionable source of 31 'lies' of Kavanaugh. There are many inconsistencies in Dr. Ford's testimony. I would make a list, but you will ignore them as we go forward, so why bother?

One of these people is lying or is misremembering. I don't doubt Dr. Ford had something happen to her. But, for what it's worth, and it's not worth much, since I have no say in anything, I don't think it was Kavanaugh.
How many people attacked Al Franken for misconduct before the roof started caving in on him? How about Eliot Spitzer? Eric Schneiderman? Anthony Weiner?

The absence of prior accusations doesn't prove a damn thing. --Bob
An accusation without any evidence that backs it up also doesn't prove anything, bob-tel.

Hysteria and hypocrisy are all you have to offer. It's passionate, but it's still bullshit, bob-tel.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

earendel

#54 Post by earendel » Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:20 am

I wouldn't be too sure of that. Several polls show that Republican women are being galvanized by the Kavanaugh debate in a way that they weren't before, while Democratic women are less likely to believe that the elections are important. Further, the chances of the Democrats taking control of the Senate have decreased - In North Dakota Heidi Heitkamp is trailing her Republican opponent by 10-12 points (depending upon the poll). If she loses then the Democrats have to hold all of the other contested seats and win in Arizona, Nevada, and either Tennessee or Texas. In Tennessee the Democratic challenger is behind by 5 points.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

jarnon

#55 Post by jarnon » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:39 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Estonut wrote:Umm, the witnesses SHE NAMED failed to corroborate any part of her accusations. What makes you think any other corroboration exists?
Those are the witnesses she believed to be at the party. A thorough investigation would have pinned down the date of the party. A thorough investigation would have talked to her friends -- maybe one of them helped her home, or saw her on her way home. A thorough investigation would have sought to determine whether this group of people was in the habit of using "Killer Qs" to spike drinks. A thorough investigation would have walked her through her memory of the event, repeatedly, in as much detail as possible, in an effort to unearth details that could be used to corroborate or discredit the account. Did she hear about the party from a friend? What, if anything, does that friend remember? A thorough investigation would have followed up with the potential witness who said people knew contemporaneously that something had happened. As far as I know, the FBI made no effort to speak to her. A thorough investigation would have walked Kavanaugh through his memory of the appropriate party, in as much detail as possible, to determine whether he was out of public view for an extended length of time, to determine whether he got drunk at that party, to confirm whether Dr. Blasey Ford was at the party.
With Senator Feinstein's help, Dr. Ford found lawyers who are experts in abuse, who probably did most of what Bob suggests. If they didn't turn anything up, I doubt the FBI would have. Also, hundreds of journalists have been tracking down every lead. The most intrepid one, Ronan Farrow, did find a classmate of Kavanaugh's who heard what happened to Ramirez at the time. But the eyewitness whom he heard it from can't remember the incident. And nobody else who was actually there has come forward.

I don't think complaining about the FBI investigation is a productive argument. Democrats should instead focus on Kavanaugh's drunken, loutish youthful behavior, his rudeness in the Senate hearing, and of course Trump mocking Dr. Ford.
Bob78164 wrote:Not until the House Judiciary Committee uses its subpoena power to begin a real investigation. Which should be the first order of business on January 3.
Unlike lawyers, journalists or the FBI, the House can compel witnesses to testify, so they could find out something - if there's any "there" there.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

silverscreenselect

#56 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:24 am

earendel wrote:
I wouldn't be too sure of that. Several polls show that Republican women are being galvanized by the Kavanaugh debate in a way that they weren't before, while Democratic women are less likely to believe that the elections are important. Further, the chances of the Democrats taking control of the Senate have decreased - In North Dakota Heidi Heitkamp is trailing her Republican opponent by 10-12 points (depending upon the poll). If she loses then the Democrats have to hold all of the other contested seats and win in Arizona, Nevada, and either Tennessee or Texas. In Tennessee the Democratic challenger is behind by 5 points.
The polls that showed renewed Republican enthusiasm were taken immediately after the second hearing. It remains to be seen how that's going to play out a month from now when the election takes place. Democratic enthusiasm has been high for almost two years now. Heidi Heitkamp has had a big spike in donations (although I'm sure a lot of them came from out of state) in the last 24 hours.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

silverscreenselect

#57 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:37 am

One possible delay in a vote Saturday is that Montana Senator Steve Daines (an almost guaranteed yes vote) has the wedding of his daughter to attend. McConnell would not want to risk holding a vote that he loses 50-49, so there's a good chance the vote could be postponed to Sunday or Monday. I wonder if he would extend the same courtesy if a Democratic Senator had a wedding to attend.

silverscreenselect

#58 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:58 am

The final vote on cloture was 51-49. Flake, Collins, and Manchin voted Yes. Murkowski voted No. None of them have released a statement regarding their votes.

FYI, John McCain voted for cloture on the Obamacare repeal but then voted against the final bill. At that time, the Senate split was 52-48, so three Republicans had to vote no in order to defeat the bill.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#59 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:19 am

silverscreenselect wrote:The final vote on cloture was 51-49. Flake, Collins, and Manchin voted Yes. Murkowski voted No. None of them have released a statement regarding their votes.

FYI, John McCain voted for cloture on the Obamacare repeal but then voted against the final bill. At that time, the Senate split was 52-48, so three Republicans had to vote no in order to defeat the bill.
It's hard to believe that Murkowski will vote to confirm after voting no on cloture. Collins has announced that she will reveal what her final vote will be in a floor speech at 3:00 p.m. today. I can't believe that Manchin will provide Kavanaugh's 50th vote, so I think he'll do what she does. If that's right, we'll know in a few hours what the answer will be. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

tlynn78

#60 Post by tlynn78 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:08 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:One possible delay in a vote Saturday is that Montana Senator Steve Daines (an almost guaranteed yes vote) has the wedding of his daughter to attend. McConnell would not want to risk holding a vote that he loses 50-49, so there's a good chance the vote could be postponed to Sunday or Monday. I wonder if he would extend the same courtesy if a Democratic Senator had a wedding to attend.
That was never a concern. Had Steve's vote been necessary, our congressman Greg Gianforte had offered the use of his private plane so Steve could accommodate both appearances.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire