Good news

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

Re: Good news

#51 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:00 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
Well, I'm not sure where they got that information, because I went to the source, the US Census Bureau statistics and they tell a different story.

According to the Census Bureau, the 3 year average poverty level in the US 2015-17 was 12.8% and for 2016-17, it was 12.5%. (They don't list figures for just 2017.)

California was above the national average at 13.4%/13.2%, but it was below Texas at 14.0/13.6%. As you might guess, states like Alabama and Mississippi were significantly higher.

https://www.census.gov/data/tables/2018 ... 0-263.html
I think they're using one of the tables (I don't know which one) from this page. The figure isn't the official poverty measurement because it's adjusted to account for local cost of living. California's cost of housing is extremely high, and that's what fuels our position by that adjusted measure. --Bob
You don't have to tell me about the cost of housing in California! I just now looked up the house my family moved to when I was 12. My parents paid $55,000 for it and sold it in 1978 when my father was transferred to New Jersey. I just looked it up on Zillow. It's estimated value is $1.9 million! It has just three bedrooms and three bathrooms. :shock:

The 1409 sqft house in Sunnyvale I sold for $105,000 in 1979 is estimated at $2.4 million! :shock: :shock
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

BackInTex

#52 Post by BackInTex » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:12 pm

Consumer confidence at its highest level in about 18 years.
Consumer confidence rose in September, notching its highest level in about 18 years.

The Consumer Board's index rose to 138.4 this month from 134.7 in August. Economists polled by Reuters expected consumer confidence to dip to 132.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#53 Post by BackInTex » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:16 pm

Republican Party Favorability Highest in Seven Years
Forty-five percent of Americans now have a favorable view of the Republican Party, a nine-point gain from last September's 36%. It is the party's most positive image since it registered 47% in January 2011, shortly after taking control of the House in the 2010 midterm elections. Forty-four percent give the Democratic Party a favorable rating.
The gap is only going to get wider between the parties as more lunacy from the left makes the news.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#54 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:39 pm

BackInTex wrote:Consumer confidence at its highest level in about 18 years.
Consumer confidence rose in September, notching its highest level in about 18 years.

The Consumer Board's index rose to 138.4 this month from 134.7 in August. Economists polled by Reuters expected consumer confidence to dip to 132.
From their report:
Consumers’ assessment of current conditions held steady in September. Those stating business conditions are “good” increased from 40.5 percent to 41.4 percent, while those saying business conditions are “bad” declined marginally from 9.3 percent to 9.1 percent. Consumers’ assessment of the labor market was somewhat more favorable. Those claiming jobs are “plentiful” increased from 42.3 percent to 45.7 percent, but those claiming jobs are “hard to get” increased from 12.1 percent to 13.2 percent.
That's nothing to brag about.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#55 Post by Estonut » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:33 am

Bob Juch wrote:
BackInTex wrote:Consumer confidence at its highest level in about 18 years.

From their report:
Consumers’ assessment of current conditions held steady in September. Those stating business conditions are “good” increased from 40.5 percent to 41.4 percent, while those saying business conditions are “bad” declined marginally from 9.3 percent to 9.1 percent. Consumers’ assessment of the labor market was somewhat more favorable. Those claiming jobs are “plentiful” increased from 42.3 percent to 45.7 percent, but those claiming jobs are “hard to get” increased from 12.1 percent to 13.2 percent.
That's nothing to brag about.
Real Americans think it is.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

silverscreenselect

#56 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:31 am

Here's some good news for BiT, for those occasions in which he will still call Texas home:
A new survey by Public Policy Polling finds that Republicans are in trouble on the issue of the Affordable Care Act and pre-existing conditions as Texas voters say they are less likely to support Republicans due to their stance on health care. In Texas’s 7th Congressional District, a plurality of voters (46%) say they are less likely to vote for Congressman John Culberson because of his effort to repeal the ACA.

The Trump administration recently went to court to eliminate the health care law’s protections for people with pre-existing conditions, and voters overwhelmingly oppose their action. 62% oppose the lawsuit, including 50% of Republicans. Texans are also less likely to vote for Republicans who stayed silent on this lawsuit. A plurality of voters (45%) say they are less likely to vote for Congressman Culberson because of his silence on the lawsuit.

In a preview of the November election, Democrat Lizzie Pannill Fletcher holds a slight lead over Republican John Culberson, 47-45.
https://www.protectourcare.org/wp-conte ... ept-21.pdf
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Estonut
Evil Genius

#57 Post by Estonut » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:50 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:Here's some good news for BiT, for those occasions in which he will still call Texas home:
A new survey by Public Policy Polling finds that Republicans are in trouble on the issue of the Affordable Care Act and pre-existing conditions as Texas voters say they are less likely to support Republicans due to their stance on health care. In Texas’s 7th Congressional District, a plurality of voters (46%) say they are less likely to vote for Congressman John Culberson because of his effort to repeal the ACA.

The Trump administration recently went to court to eliminate the health care law’s protections for people with pre-existing conditions, and voters overwhelmingly oppose their action. 62% oppose the lawsuit, including 50% of Republicans. Texans are also less likely to vote for Republicans who stayed silent on this lawsuit. A plurality of voters (45%) say they are less likely to vote for Congressman Culberson because of his silence on the lawsuit.

In a preview of the November election, Democrat Lizzie Pannill Fletcher holds a slight lead over Republican John Culberson, 47-45.
https://www.protectourcare.org/wp-conte ... ept-21.pdf
It just goes to show you that Republicans don't all think alike.
Groucho Marx

BackInTex

#58 Post by BackInTex » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:57 pm

~~ Thomas Jefferson

Estonut
Evil Genius

#59 Post by Estonut » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:44 am

Here's more:
Daily Presidential Tracking Poll

On Friday, the latest Rasmussen Reports Presidential Tracking Poll was released, and it showed that 51 percent of likely voters approve of the job Trump is doing.

That is higher than Obama's approval rating was at the same point in his presidency.
Groucho Marx

silverscreenselect

#60 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:45 am

Estonut wrote:Here's more:

On Friday, the latest Rasmussen Reports Presidential Tracking Poll was released, and it showed that 51 percent of likely voters approve of the job Trump is doing.

That is higher than Obama's approval rating was at the same point in his presidency.
Trump has "taken advantage" of the fact that he's been relatively on the sidelines in the major news of the last couple of weeks. And the Rasmussen poll skews right.

flockofseagulls104

#61 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:17 am

Estonut wrote:Here's more:

Trump has "taken advantage" of the fact that he's been relatively on the sidelines in the major news of the last couple of weeks. And the Rasmussen poll skews right.
You tell me I am a 'trump-enabler:
You are a Trump enabler. You profess to disagree with him, generally on his style, but leap to his defense every single time on this Bored, generally by parroting the party line that goes through the right wing noise machine.
You may want to look at what you do. You seem to need to denigrate ANYTHING having to do with trump, no matter what it is. I think that is a symptom of TDS.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

silverscreenselect

#62 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:08 am

New CNN Poll:

Trump Approval Rating (10/4-7): Approve 41%; Disapprove 52%
Did You Want Kavanaugh Confirmed: Yes 41%; No 51%
Did You Want Gorsuch Confirmed (poll taken at similar time in confirmation process): Yes 49%; No 36%
Impression of Kavanaugh: Positive 35%; Negative 47%
Impression of Gorsuch: Positive 39%; Negative 24% (31% had neither a positive or negative impression)
Approve of the way Republicans are handling the hearings: Yes 35%; No 55%
Approve of the way Democrats are handling the hearings; Ys 36%; No 56%
Has Kavanaugh's personal conduct disqualified him from the Supreme Court: Yes 50%; N0 43%
Do you believe the women or Kavanaugh? Women 52%; Kavanaugh 38%

58% of registered voters who said they were very enthusiastic about voting in the upcoming elections opposed Kavanaugh's confirmation, while only 40% favored it.

http://cdn.cnn.com/cnn/2018/images/10/0 ... anaugh.pdf

flockofseagulls104

#63 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:11 am

silverscreenselect wrote:New CNN Poll:

Trump Approval Rating (10/4-7): Approve 41%; Disapprove 52%
Did You Want Kavanaugh Confirmed: Yes 41%; No 51%
Did You Want Gorsuch Confirmed (poll taken at similar time in confirmation process): Yes 49%; No 36%
Impression of Kavanaugh: Positive 35%; Negative 47%
Impression of Gorsuch: Positive 39%; Negative 24% (31% had neither a positive or negative impression)
Approve of the way Republicans are handling the hearings: Yes 35%; No 55%
Approve of the way Democrats are handling the hearings; Ys 36%; No 56%
Has Kavanaugh's personal conduct disqualified him from the Supreme Court: Yes 50%; N0 43%
Do you believe the women or Kavanaugh? Women 52%; Kavanaugh 38%

58% of registered voters who said they were very enthusiastic about voting in the upcoming elections opposed Kavanaugh's confirmation, while only 40% favored it.

http://cdn.cnn.com/cnn/2018/images/10/0 ... anaugh.pdf
How many shits do you give about what the polls say? None-80%, One-15.1%, Other-2.9%, Don't give a shit about this question-4.9%, Unintelligible-9.1%,no answer, just a disparaging comment about trump-2.8% Margin of error 99%
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

silverscreenselect

#64 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:17 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote:How many shits do you give about what the polls say? None-80%, One-15.1%, Other-2.9%, Don't give a shit about this question-4.9%, Unintelligible-9.1%,no answer, just a disparaging comment about trump-2.8% Margin of error 99%
The Republican Party and various Republican candidates do give a shit about what polls say since they commission a whole lot of them during election season (so do the Democrats).

Science isn't really your thing is it Flock (and yes, statistics is a science although polling due to the inherent difficulty in selecting a representative sample).

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#65 Post by SportsFan68 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:16 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:How many shits do you give about what the polls say? None-80%, One-15.1%, Other-2.9%, Don't give a shit about this question-4.9%, Unintelligible-9.1%,no answer, just a disparaging comment about trump-2.8% Margin of error 99%
The Republican Party and various Republican candidates do give a shit about what polls say since they commission a whole lot of them during election season (so do the Democrats).

Science isn't really your thing is it Flock (and yes, statistics is a science although polling due to the inherent difficulty in selecting a representative sample).
I'm apparently off all polling lists in Colorado. Two years ago, some pollster called and asked me if I had an official position of some sort requiring me to support any particular candidates, and I replied truthfully that I was chair of the local Democratic party. Sayonara without asking any poll questions, and no more polling phone calls of any kind since.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

flockofseagulls104

#66 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:58 pm

No shit, sherlock. BTW, Mr. Ryerson, here it is so you can ignore it again: I AM NOT A REPUBLICAN. I AM NOT A DEMOCRAT. I don't give a shit about polls. They may be useful to the candidates, but no poll is going to convince me to change my mind about anything. I think reporting on polls is a waste of time. I think the polls probably were an actual legitimate reason why Clinton lost. I'm sure many people didn't bother to vote because the polls were SOOOOO sure she would win.

Bob Juch

#67 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:17 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:

No shit, sherlock. BTW, Mr. Ryerson, here it is so you can ignore it again: I AM NOT A REPUBLICAN. I AM NOT A DEMOCRAT. I don't give a shit about polls. They may be useful to the candidates, but no poll is going to convince me to change my mind about anything. I think reporting on polls is a waste of time. I think the polls probably were an actual legitimate reason why Clinton lost. I'm sure many people didn't bother to vote because the polls were SOOOOO sure she would win.
I think you should join the Know Nothing party.

silverscreenselect

#68 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:25 pm

Bob Juch wrote: I AM NOT A REPUBLICAN.
No, you just talk and act like one 99% of the time (except when you give Donald Trump a thumbs down on his style points).

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#69 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:30 pm

No, you just talk and act like one 99% of the time (except when you give Donald Trump a thumbs down on his style points).
Hee hee. Quotes dude.
Well, then

Estonut
Evil Genius

#70 Post by Estonut » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:33 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Hee hee. Quotes dude.
Quoting and previewing are beyond his intellect.
Groucho Marx

flockofseagulls104

#71 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:35 pm

Gosh darn it, it Feb 2 again!!

Once again, SSS. I don't like trump. I like some of the things he is accomplishing, but I certainly wish we had someone as president who has more tact and intelligence and had more awareness of how to say things more specifically and literally.

But the reason you think I am a 'trump supporter', SSS, is that for all his grievous faults, I believe he is still a much better alternative than people like you having power. Your party has no solutions anymore. They don't even pretend to have any solutions. They just have hate for trump and anyone who doesn't curse him or wish him dead. And complete disdain for anyone who doesn't toe their line.

So go ahead and call me a republican if you want. Go ahead and call me a trump supporter if you want. Attack me and call me whatever you want. When you do, it will indicate you have no answer.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#72 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:34 pm

This study (published in August 2018 based on responses from 2017) may help explain why people seem unimpressed by how "well" the economy is doing. Most if the benefit is going to not very many people. In contrast, nearly 40% of the population faced economic hardship last year, in the form of not being able to timely pay one or more of their basic bills (shelter, utilities, food, or healthcare) in full and on time. (By nearly 40%, I mean more than 39%.)

It would probably help of real wages (i.e., wages adjusted for inflation) had increased above where they were 40 years ago, but they haven't, so there you are. As expected, rather than passing tax savings along to their workers, corporations are either holding on to them (increasing profits which undoubtedly increase bonuses paid to top executives) or paying dividends to their owners. And most companies are privately held, so increasing money to the company's owners isn't doing anyone's retirement account any good. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#73 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:48 am

Bob78164 wrote:This study (published in August 2018 based on responses from 2017) may help explain why people seem unimpressed by how "well" the economy is doing. Most if the benefit is going to not very many people. In contrast, nearly 40% of the population faced economic hardship last year, in the form of not being able to timely pay one or more of their basic bills (shelter, utilities, food, or healthcare) in full and on time. (By nearly 40%, I mean more than 39%.)
Trump's win in 2016 was largely due to his being able to convince midwestern voters in states like PA, MI, WI, OH that they were being left behind in the economic recovery (which was true to a certain extent) and that he was going to help them get their share (which was not).

Not coincidentally, Democrats are doing very well in the polling in these same states this year. PA is expected to elect a Democratic senator and governor by double digits and flip several House seats (the court ordered redistricting helps here). A number of the voters in these states gave Trump a chance in 2016, but found out what they got, or more accurately, what they didn't get for that trust.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#74 Post by Estonut » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:55 am

silverscreenselect wrote:Trump's win in 2016 was largely due to his ...
Blah, blah, blah. You still don't get it, do you? The only reason Trump won in 2016 was because he was not Hillary. As has been stated here before, he was the second worst candidate in history. Unfortunately for your sweet Hillary, she was the worst.
Groucho Marx

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#75 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:56 pm

BackInTex wrote:
BackInTex wrote: It will be very effective.

And as we get closer to election day you will see the economic news being used.
Out of mild curiosity, who is your current Congressperson? I want to keep track of this election to see how effective the good news is.
John Culberson. He will win.
CNN says that the voters of your District say that you're wrong. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson