Game #186: Movies Made in Heaven

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
franktangredi

#1 Post by franktangredi » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:30 am

Identify the 100 actors in the clues below. (Every other clue is a quotation.) Then, match them into 60 pairs according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself.

Eighteen actors will be used twice and one actor will be used three times (not necessarily in different capacities.) There shouldn’t be any alternate matches unless I got really careless.

No name will be matched with itself.

1. This co-founder of a major Hollywood studio also hosted the very first Academy Awards ceremony.

2. “I even made poor Louis take me on Crusade. How's that for blasphemy? I dressed my maids as Amazons and rode bare-breasted halfway to Damascus. Louis had a seizure and I damn near died of windburn, but the troops were dazzled.”

3. According to this actor, Larry Gates slapping him was in the original script, but his slapping Larry Gates back was his own suggestion.

4. “Don't call me ‘Son.’ I'm a lawyer and an officer in the United States Navy, and you're under arrest, you son of a bitch.”

5. This actress was named “Babe of the Year” by GQ the same year her then-husband was named “Sexiest Man Alive” by People.

6. “Put. That. Coffee. Down. Coffee's for closers only. “

7. She was the first of her first husband’s eight wives and the fifth of her second husband’s eight wives.

8. “When he was nine years old he ran away from a fight. I saw it; I was so embarrassed I almost threw up. I said, ‘I'm gonna make a man outta you if I have to break you in two tryin'.’ And I made a man out of him. When he was sixteen, we had a fight. Hit me in the jaw - a big kid. Haven't seen him for two years. Kids ... work your heart out...”

9. He was born the same year his current stepmother played her Oscar-winning role; forty years later, he received an Oscar nomination of his own.

10. “Say ‘Auf Wiedersehen’ to your Nazi balls!”

11. The Oscar record she set in 1963 lasted only eleven years.

12. “Up there, we know we're lost and done for whether we're dead or alive. Three years we've had of it, four years! And every day a year, and every night a century! And our bodies are earth, and our thoughts are clay, and we sleep and eat with death!”

13. This British actor was born Zvi Mosheh Skikne in Lithuania.

14. “Well, if I was gonna kill you, I wouldn't do a dumb thing like hitting you on the head. First of all, I don't like the fingerprint angle. Of course, I could always wear gloves. Press your hands against the pipe after you were dead and make you look like a suicide. Except it don't seem hardly likely that you'd beat yourself to death with a club. I'd murder you so it didn't look like murder.”

15. He won a Best Director Oscar for a film in which he starred and a Worst Actor Razzie for a film which he directed.

16. “You truly love each other and so you might have been truly happy. Not one couple in a century has that chance, no matter what the story books say. And so I think no man in a century will suffer as greatly as you will.”

17. She was far better known for her work on stage and television, but she did make a number of memorable films – including her one-scene role as the mother of the title character of an Oscar-winning comedy.

18. “I was crazy that day. We were going to our son's funeral and you were worried about what I wore on my feet. I'm sure it sounds like nothing to you, but it stuck with me and I just wanted to tell you about it.”

19. His film career included adaptations of works by Jane Austen, Theodore Dreiser, Anton Chekhov, Daphne du Maurier, John Osborne, one of the Bronte sisters – and, of course, Shakespeare.

20. “I'm not one to use hyperbole, ladies and gentlemen, but I'll tell you this, for the first time in my life I had the caca scared out of me!”

21. While filming what turned out to be his Oscar-winning role, this actor and a friend were taken hostage and almost shot by a gun-toting gang of Brazilian robbers.

22. “Joey, have you ever been in a Turkish prison?”

23. He is the father of an actor in one of the preceding clues.

24. “He looks as if ... as if he knows what I look like without my shimmy.”

25. She was part of the all-star cast of a movie based on a novel written by an author whom she herself would play five years later.

26. “Why don't you let me be in the show? Are you afraid of my Guatemalan-ness?”

27. Of a trilogy in which he starred, he has said that the 1995 film was about what could be, the 2004 film was about what should have been, and the 2013 film was about what is.

28. “I am Carrot Top: confident, clever, capable of running his life and yours, and everybody else's. And I'm Golo the Giant: cowardly, stupid, longing to be loved, clumsy and in need of comforting. And I'm Marguerite too: vain, jealous, obsessed with self, looking at my face in the mirror – ‘Are my teeth nice? Is my hair growing thin?’ And I'm Reynaldo: the thief, the opportunist, full of compromise and lies like any other man. I have in me all these things.”

29. This actress was the only child of a prominent stockbroker and a cereal heiress.

30. “Children don't have to defend themselves. When a child is taken, they automatically move forward. Isn't that nice?”

31. He received his only Oscar nomination in competition with two other actors from the same movie. (None of them won, but the other two had already won Oscars the previous two years.)

32. “Poor cat! Poor slob! Poor slob without a name! The way I see it, I haven't got the right to give him one. We don't belong to each other. We just took up one day by the river. I don't want to own anything until I find a place where me and things go together.”

33. Kid brother of a prominent member of the Brat Pack, he won an Emmy award for his portrayal of a young man living with AIDS.

34. “I arrived last night. Right in time for English Department cocktails. The c**k was mine. The tail belonged to a lovely young thing with a passion for D.H. Lawrence.”

35. He starred in one of my favorite Twilight Zone episodes, as an aging Broadway actor in the throes of a midlife crisis.

36. “The notary will tell you that I'm leaving you my whole estate. It may surprise you, but it's the truth. The lawyer will give you all the documents because your father was my son. He was the Soubeyran I'd hoped for all my life, whom I tormented to death because I didn't know who he was. If I had told him about the spring, he'd still be playing his harmonica, and you'd all be living in our family home. No one knows it, but I'm too ashamed to face anyone, even the trees.”

37. Only two actors have played James Bond in more films than he.

38. “They turned me loose from the nervous hospital. Said I was well. I got hired on by a Mr. Bill Cox fixing lawnmowers and whatnot. That grass out there in the yard has grown up quite a bit. I reckon I might cut it for you.”

39. Her film career has included adaptations of works by Feodor Dostoevski, Ernest Hemingway, Shirley Jackson, Henrik Ibsen, Ray Bradbury, John Le Carre – and, of course, Shakespeare.

40. “Somebody once wrote, ‘Hell is the impossibility of reason.’ That's what this place feels like. Hell.”

41. When this child actor refused to cry during a scene, his director – who also happened to be his uncle – threatened to shoot his dog. (It worked.)

42. “You wrote to me once, listing the four chief virtues: wisdom, justice, fortitude and temperance. As I read the list, I knew I had none of them. But I have other virtues, Father. Ambition. That can be a virtue when it drives us to excel. Resourcefulness, courage - perhaps not on the battlefield, but there are many forms of courage. Devotion, to my family and to you. But none of my virtues were on your list. Even then, it was as if you didn't want me for your son.”

43. Reportedly, she once had an entire movie set rebuilt so that she would not have to show her right profile.

44. “Andy brought AIDS into our offices, into our bathroom, brought AIDS to our annual God damn family picnic!”

45. He played the killer on three episodes of Columbo, including the first episode of the regular series.

46. “I removed my undergarments and climbed on top of him. He woke up then. He said the only word other than his name that I ever heard him utter. He said, ‘Good.’ It didn't take very long, and that once was all that was needed.”

47. In two different films, this British actress has played the mother of the actress in Clue #5.

48. “Don't f**k with the babysitter!”

49. A song in the most recent Tony winner for Best Musical is named for this suave actor.

50. “I am not a vigilante. I am just trying to get home to my little girl's birthday party and if everyone will just stay out of my way, nobody will get hurt.”

51. She won her country’s national beauty pageant in 1936, succeeding Maria Nagy.

52. “Oh, you got a letter? I got run over! Helen gets her hair chopped off, Julie gets a body in her trunk, and you get a letter? That's balanced!”

53. This actor is most associated with two movie quotes – one from a 1940 film that provided him with one of his nicknames, the other from a 1942 film that provided him with the title of his 1965 autobiography.

54. “Now what kind of an attitude is that, ‘These things happen?’ They only happen because this whole country is just full of people who, when these things happen, they just say ‘These things happen,’ and that's why they happen!”

55. She won a Tony award for a role that had previously won the same award for Glynis Johns.

56. “When your husband makes love to you, it's my face he sees. When your baby's hungry, it's my breast that feeds him. Look at you! When push comes to shove, you can't even breathe!”

57. His film career included adaptations of works by Daphne du Maurier, Edna Ferber, Tennessee Williams, George Orwell, John Osborne, John Le Carre – and, of course, Shakespeare.

58. “And what am I supposed to do, huh? Go back to taxi dancin'? Ten cents so some slob can sweat gin all over me? I'm never doin' that again! So you go back there and you tell ol' rich Mr. Chocolate Man that he ain't closing me down!”

59. He starred in the film biography of the man who wrote the lyrics to “When Irish Eyes Are Smiling.”

60. “You know something, Fantan? This world is so full of crap, a man's gonna get into it sooner or later whether he's careful or not.”

61. This actress – who tragically died of leukemia at the age of 32 – had her most memorable movie moment playing the trumpet in a film with a harmonica score.

62. “Some people think the Crucifixion only took place on Calvary. They better wise up! Taking Joey Doyle's life to stop him from testifying is a crucifixion. And dropping a sling on Kayo Dugan because he was ready to spill his guts tomorrow, that's a crucifixion. And every time the mob puts the pressure on a good man, tries to stop him from doing his duty as a citizen, it's a crucifixion. And anybody who sits around and lets it happen, keeps silent about something he knows that happened, shares the guilt of it just as much as the Roman soldier who pierced the flesh of our Lord to see if he was dead.”

63. Before becoming a star of ‘B’ westerns, he was named Most Valuable Player in the Rose Bowl.

64. “Oh, no! Not the bees! Not the bees! Aaaaahhhhh! Oh, they're in my eyes! My eyes! Aaaahhhhh! Aaaaagghhh!”

65. She appeared in a classic 1937 movie about aspiring young actresses, but achieved her greatest popularity as the star of a 1950s sitcom – and, no, her name is not Lucy.

66. “I know you like me. I know it. For the last year or two, you've been pretending like you hate me. I love you very much. I love you as much as I love anybody, as much as I love myself. And in a few years when I haven't been around to be on your tail about something or irritating you, you could remember that time that I bought you the baseball glove when you thought we were too broke. You know? Or when I read you those stories? Or when I let you goof off instead of mowing the lawn? Lots of things like that. And you're gonna realize that you love me. And maybe you're gonna feel badly, because you never told me. But don't - I know that you love me. So don't ever do that to yourself, all right?”

67. He received an Oscar nomination for playing an actor who is the answer to one of the preceding clues.

68. “Anita Bryant did not win tonight. Anita Bryant brought us together!”

69. Some of her screen roles were subsequently reprised by June Allyson, Anne Bancroft … and Jerry Lewis.

70. “Criss-cross.”

71. After seeing this actor in a Hitchcock film, a British critic wrote, “For the first time on our screen we have the British equivalent of a Clark Gable or a Ronald Colman, playing in a purely national idiom.”

72. “May 23rd. My first batch of subjects arrived today, and I have to admit that I am very excited. This could be the dawn of a new age. Nuclear power is meaningless in a world where a virus can kill an entire population and leave its wealth intact.”

73. I can’t swear that she is the only actress ever deliberately electrocuted on screen by a Capuchin monkey, but I’d be willing to take the bet.

74. “You needn't take it any further, sir. You've proved to me that all this ultraviolence and killing is wrong, wrong, and terribly wrong. I've learned me lesson, sir. I've seen now what I've never seen before. I'm cured! Praise God!”

75. One of his first stage roles was as Stanley Kowalski in Un Tram Che Si Chiama Desiderio; one of his last screen roles was as the voice of Mufasa in Il Re Leone.

76. “Three tomatoes are walking down the street- a poppa tomato, a momma tomato, and a little baby tomato. Baby tomato starts lagging behind. Poppa tomato gets angry, goes over to the baby tomato, and smooshes him ... and says, ‘Catch up.’”

77. Her film career included adaptations of works by Charles Dickens, Sinclair Lewis, George Bernard Shaw, W. Somerset Maugham, Damon Runyon – and, of course, Shakespeare.

78. “It is clear that we are just an advanced breed of primates on a minor planet orbiting around a very average star, in the outer suburb of one among a hundred billion galaxies. But ever since the dawn of civilization, people have craved for an understanding of the underlying order of the world. There ought to be something very special about the boundary conditions of the universe. And what can be more special than that there is no boundary? And there should be no boundary to human endeavor. We are all different. However bad life may seem, there is always something you can do, and succeed at. While there is life, there is hope.”

79. This actress said, “"To sit out the McCarthy era in a house on Rodeo Drive as [the wife of a major MGM star] is not so bad. But the atmosphere that prevailed eventually destroyed my marriage. My ideas ran against the political currents of the time. By 1957, we were divorced."

80. “John, the kind of control you're attempting simply is ... it's not possible. If there is one thing the history of evolution has taught us it's that life will not be contained. Life breaks free, it expands to new territories and crashes through barriers, painfully, maybe even dangerously, but, uh ... well, there it is.”

81. She received her only Oscar nomination in competition with two other actresses from the same movie. (None of them ever won.)

82. “I've come to see lots of nice people who hate it and deplore it and protest their own innocence, then help it along and wonder why it grows. People who would never beat up a Jew. People who think anti-Semitism is far away in some dark place with low-class morons. That's the biggest discovery I've made. The good people. The nice people.”

83. She served as matron of honor at the second wedding of the actor in Clue #53.

84. “He looks like that fellow in the movies - Ralph Bellamy.”

85. She completes the following list: Cate Blanchett; Michael Caine; Diane Keaton; Dianne Wiest; Dianne Wiest.

86. “I'm hard to get, Steve. All you have to do is ask me.”

87. On one of my least favorite episodes of The Twilight Zone, he played a Confederate soldier who has a chance to defeat the entire Union army, but won’t do it because he refused to traffic with the Devil.

88. “You know what I'm realizing? My life is just going to go. Like that. This series of milestones. Getting married. Having kids. Getting divorced. The time that we thought you were dyslexic. When I taught you how to ride a bike. Getting divorced ... again. Getting my master’s degree. Finally getting the job I wanted. Sending Samantha off to college. Sending you off to college. You know what's next? Huh? It's my f**king funeral! Just go, and leave my picture!”

89. In his best-known film role, this French actor cuckolded a former Sexiest Man Alive. (It did not end well for him.)

90. “Okay, now you're talking above my head. I don't know all of this industry jargon, YP, MP. All I know is that I can't get a record contract, we cannot get a record contract unless we take those tapes to the record company. And granted, the tapes themselves are, ah, uh, um, oh, you own them, all right, but the magic that is on those tapes, that f**king heart and soul that we put onto those tapes, that is ours and you don't own that. Now I need to take that magic and get it over the record company. And they're waiting for us, we were supposed to be there a half hour ago. We look like a**holes, man.”

91. Joan Crawford accused this younger actress of “setting the cause of Hollywood glamor back 20 years” by accepting an Oscar in a home-made dress.

92. “I don't know if you'd be particularly interested in hearing anything about me. My life, I mean. Most of it doesn't add up to much that I could relate as a way of life that you'd approve of…. I'd like to be able to tell you why, but I don't really... I mean, I move around a lot because things tend to get bad when I stay. And I'm looking ... for auspicious beginnings, I guess.... I'm trying to, you know, imagine your half of this conversation. My feeling is, that if you could talk, we probably wouldn't be talking. That's pretty much how it got to be before I left.”

93. The film version of a Broadway hit ended with a “curtain call” in which this actress gave the girl playing her daughter a well-deserved spanking.

94. “What's the most you ever lost on a coin toss?”

95. The film version of the fifth longest-running musical in Broadway history was generally well-received, but this actor’s singing of one of the lead roles was universally panned.

96. “Sondheim! Send in the clowns!”

97. It’s a toss-up which of his screen characters was the most purely evil: the serial killer, the necromancer, or the Nazi.

98. “I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope.”

99. His film career included adaptations of works by Henry James, James Jones, Theodore Dreiser, Tennessee Williams, Nathanael West, Irwin Shaw – and NOT Shakespeare.

100. “Those imbeciles. Haven't they got any eyes? Have they forgotten what a star looks like? I'll show them! I'll be up there again, so help me!”

littlebeast13
Dumbass

Re: Game #186: Movies Made in Heaven

#2 Post by littlebeast13 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:46 am

My token contribution to this game...

45. He played the killer on three episodes of Columbo, including the first episode of the regular series.

JACK CASSIDY

I recognize both of the TZ episodes, but don't know the name of either actor involved...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

mellytu74

#3 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:18 am

VERY QUICK FIRST PASS (A lot of these are familiar but need to think and I want/need to get this out before I have to concentrate on writing something :O)

Identify the 100 actors in the clues below. (Every other clue is a quotation.) Then, match them into 60 pairs according to a Tangredi, or principle you must discover for yourself.

Eighteen actors will be used twice and one actor will be used three times (not necessarily in different capacities.) There shouldn’t be any alternate matches unless I got really careless.

1. This co-founder of a major Hollywood studio also hosted the very first Academy Awards ceremony.

DOUGLAS FAIRBANKS, SR

2. “I even made poor Louis take me on Crusade. How's that for blasphemy? I dressed my maids as Amazons and rode bare-breasted halfway to Damascus. Louis had a seizure and I damn near died of windburn, but the troops were dazzled.”

KATHARINE HEPBURN

3. According to this actor, Larry Gates slapping him was in the original script, but his slapping Larry Gates back was his own suggestion.

SIDNEY POITIER?

7. She was the first of her first husband’s eight wives and the fifth of her second husband’s eight wives.

AVA GARDNER (rooney and Shaw, respectively)

8. “When he was nine years old he ran away from a fight. I saw it; I was so embarrassed I almost threw up. I said, ‘I'm gonna make a man outta you if I have to break you in two tryin'.’ And I made a man out of him. When he was sixteen, we had a fight. Hit me in the jaw - a big kid. Haven't seen him for two years. Kids ... work your heart out...”

LEE J COBB

9. He was born the same year his current stepmother played her Oscar-winning role; forty years later, he received an Oscar nomination of his own.

JOSH BROLIN?

PATTY DUKE?

12. “Up there, we know we're lost and done for whether we're dead or alive. Three years we've had of it, four years! And every day a year, and every night a century! And our bodies are earth, and our thoughts are clay, and we sleep and eat with death!”

LEW AYERS

18. “I was crazy that day. We were going to our son's funeral and you were worried about what I wore on my feet. I'm sure it sounds like nothing to you, but it stuck with me and I just wanted to tell you about it.”

DONALD SUTHERLAND

19. His film career included adaptations of works by Jane Austen, Theodore Dreiser, Anton Chekhov, Daphne du Maurier, John Osborne, one of the Bronte sisters – and, of course, Shakespeare.

LAURENCE OLIVIER

PETER GRAVES

JAMES BROLIN?

VIVIEN LEIGH

25. She was part of the all-star cast of a movie based on a novel written by an author whom she herself would play five years later.

VANESSA REDGRAVE?

26. “Why don't you let me be in the show? Are you afraid of my Guatemalan-ness?”

HANK AZARIA

28. “I am Carrot Top: confident, clever, capable of running his life and yours, and everybody else's. And I'm Golo the Giant: cowardly, stupid, longing to be loved, clumsy and in need of comforting. And I'm Marguerite too: vain, jealous, obsessed with self, looking at my face in the mirror – ‘Are my teeth nice? Is my hair growing thin?’ And I'm Reynaldo: the thief, the opportunist, full of compromise and lies like any other man. I have in me all these things.”

MEL FERRER

29. This actress was the only child of a prominent stockbroker and a cereal heiress.

DINA MERRILL

31. He received his only Oscar nomination in competition with two other actors from the same movie. (None of them won, but the other two had already won Oscars the previous two years.)

FRANCHOT TONE

32. “Poor cat! Poor slob! Poor slob without a name! The way I see it, I haven't got the right to give him one. We don't belong to each other. We just took up one day by the river. I don't want to own anything until I find a place where me and things go together.”

AUDREY HEPBURN

33. Kid brother of a prominent member of the Brat Pack, he won an Emmy award for his portrayal of a young man living with AIDS.

CHAD LOWE

41. When this child actor refused to cry during a scene, his director – who also happened to be his uncle – threatened to shoot his dog. (It worked.)

JACKIE COOPER

43. Reportedly, she once had an entire movie set rebuilt so that she would not have to show her right profile.

MIRIAM HOPKINS? CLAUDETTE COLBERT?

44. “Andy brought AIDS into our offices, into our bathroom, brought AIDS to our annual God damn family picnic!”

JASON ROBARDS

JACK CASSIDY

46. “I removed my undergarments and climbed on top of him. He woke up then. He said the only word other than his name that I ever heard him utter. He said, ‘Good.’ It didn't take very long, and that once was all that was needed.”

GLENN CLOSE

49. A song in the most recent Tony winner for Best Musical is named for this suave actor.

OMAR SHARIF

51. She won her country’s national beauty pageant in 1936, succeeding Maria Nagy.

ONE OF THE GABORS?

53. This actor is most associated with two movie quotes – one from a 1940 film that provided him with one of his nicknames, the other from a 1942 film that provided him with the title of his 1965 autobiography.

RONALD REAGAN

57. His film career included adaptations of works by Daphne du Maurier, Edna Ferber, Tennessee Williams, George Orwell, John Osborne, John Le Carre – and, of course, Shakespeare.

RICHARD BURTON

58. “And what am I supposed to do, huh? Go back to taxi dancin'? Ten cents so some slob can sweat gin all over me? I'm never doin' that again! So you go back there and you tell ol' rich Mr. Chocolate Man that he ain't closing me down!”

MADONNA

59. He starred in the film biography of the man who wrote the lyrics to “When Irish Eyes Are Smiling.”

DENNIS MORGAN

62. “Some people think the Crucifixion only took place on Calvary. They better wise up! Taking Joey Doyle's life to stop him from testifying is a crucifixion. And dropping a sling on Kayo Dugan because he was ready to spill his guts tomorrow, that's a crucifixion. And every time the mob puts the pressure on a good man, tries to stop him from doing his duty as a citizen, it's a crucifixion. And anybody who sits around and lets it happen, keeps silent about something he knows that happened, shares the guilt of it just as much as the Roman soldier who pierced the flesh of our Lord to see if he was dead.”

KARL MALDEN

63. Before becoming a star of ‘B’ westerns, he was named Most Valuable Player in the Rose Bowl.

JOHNNY MACK BROWN?

65. She appeared in a classic 1937 movie about aspiring young actresses, but achieved her greatest popularity as the star of a 1950s sitcom – and, no, her name is not Lucy.

EVE ARDEN

66. “I know you like me. I know it. For the last year or two, you've been pretending like you hate me. I love you very much. I love you as much as I love anybody, as much as I love myself. And in a few years when I haven't been around to be on your tail about something or irritating you, you could remember that time that I bought you the baseball glove when you thought we were too broke. You know? Or when I read you those stories? Or when I let you goof off instead of mowing the lawn? Lots of things like that. And you're gonna realize that you love me. And maybe you're gonna feel badly, because you never told me. But don't - I know that you love me. So don't ever do that to yourself, all right?”

DEBRA WINGER

SEAN PENN

69. Some of her screen roles were subsequently reprised by June Allyson, Anne Bancroft … and Jerry Lewis.

CAROLE LOMBARD

77. Her film career included adaptations of works by Charles Dickens, Sinclair Lewis, George Bernard Shaw, W. Somerset Maugham, Damon Runyon – and, of course, Shakespeare.

JEAN SIMMONS

79. This actress said, “"To sit out the McCarthy era in a house on Rodeo Drive as [the wife of a major MGM star] is not so bad. But the atmosphere that prevailed eventually destroyed my marriage. My ideas ran against the political currents of the time. By 1957, we were divorced."

BETSY BLAIR

82. “I've come to see lots of nice people who hate it and deplore it and protest their own innocence, then help it along and wonder why it grows. People who would never beat up a Jew. People who think anti-Semitism is far away in some dark place with low-class morons. That's the biggest discovery I've made. The good people. The nice people.”

DOROTHY MCGUIRE

83. She served as matron of honor at the second wedding of the actor in Clue #53.

BRENDA MARSHALL

85. She completes the following list: Cate Blanchett; Michael Caine; Diane Keaton; Dianne Wiest; Dianne Wiest.

MIRA SORVINO

LAUREN BACALL

90. “Okay, now you're talking above my head. I don't know all of this industry jargon, YP, MP. All I know is that I can't get a record contract, we cannot get a record contract unless we take those tapes to the record company. And granted, the tapes themselves are, ah, uh, um, oh, you own them, all right, but the magic that is on those tapes, that f**king heart and soul that we put onto those tapes, that is ours and you don't own that. Now I need to take that magic and get it over the record company. And they're waiting for us, we were supposed to be there a half hour ago. We look like a**holes, man.”

JOHN C REILLY

91. Joan Crawford accused this younger actress of “setting the cause of Hollywood glamor back 20 years” by accepting an Oscar in a home-made dress.

EVA MARIE SAINT?

95. The film version of the fifth longest-running musical in Broadway history was generally well-received, but this actor’s singing of one of the lead roles was universally panned.

RUSSELL CROWE?

98. “I hope I can make it across the border. I hope to see my friend and shake his hand. I hope the Pacific is as blue as it has been in my dreams. I hope.”

MORGAN FREEMAN

kroxquo

#4 Post by kroxquo » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:19 am

4. “Don't call me ‘Son.’ I'm a lawyer and an officer in the United States Navy, and you're under arrest, you son of a bitch.”

Fred MacMurray? Caine Mutiny?

Someone in Glengarry Glenn Ross. Alec Baldwin?

Patty Duke

15. He won a Best Director Oscar for a film in which he starred and a Worst Actor Razzie for a film which he directed.

Kevin Costner

16. “You truly love each other and so you might have been truly happy. Not one couple in a century has that chance, no matter what the story books say. And so I think no man in a century will suffer as greatly as you will.”

Chris Sarandon

21. While filming what turned out to be his Oscar-winning role, this actor and a friend were taken hostage and almost shot by a gun-toting gang of Brazilian robbers.

William Hurt?

Peter Graves

Michael J. Pollard?

Chad Lowe

Pierce Brosnan

Jason Robards

Garp's mother. Glenn Close?

Zsa Zsa Gabor

John Agar?

64. “Oh, no! Not the bees! Not the bees! Aaaaahhhhh! Oh, they're in my eyes! My eyes! Aaaahhhhh! Aaaaagghhh!”

Nicolas Cage

Debra Winger

74. “You needn't take it any further, sir. You've proved to me that all this ultraviolence and killing is wrong, wrong, and terribly wrong. I've learned me lesson, sir. I've seen now what I've never seen before. I'm cured! Praise God!”

Malcolm McDowell

80. “John, the kind of control you're attempting simply is ... it's not possible. If there is one thing the history of evolution has taught us it's that life will not be contained. Life breaks free, it expands to new territories and crashes through barriers, painfully, maybe even dangerously, but, uh ... well, there it is.”

From Jurassic Park - Jeff Goldblum or Sam Neill

Javier Bardem

Austin Pendleton

Morgan Freeman

100. “Those imbeciles. Haven't they got any eyes? Have they forgotten what a star looks like? I'll show them! I'll be up there again, so help me!”
Gloria Swanson?
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

jarnon

#5 Post by jarnon » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:11 am

TOM CRUISE

56. “When your husband makes love to you, it's my face he sees. When your baby's hungry, it's my breast that feeds him. Look at you! When push comes to shove, you can't even breathe!”
REBECCA DE MORNAY
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

mrkelley23

#6 Post by mrkelley23 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:01 am

franktangredi wrote:Game #186: Movies Made in Heaven

One of the UA folks, I'd guess. And almost certainly not a woman, so that leaves Douglas Fairbanks and Charlie Chaplin. I'd guess Fairbanks

Sidney Poitier?

Tom Cruise

Sounds like something from Glengarry Glen Ross, but I don't know who said it.

Laurence Harvey

Sounds Stallone-ish to me

17. She was far better known for her work on stage and television, but she did make a number of memorable films – including her one-scene role as the mother of the title character of an Oscar-winning comedy.

Colleen Dewhurst??

20. “I'm not one to use hyperbole, ladies and gentlemen, but I'll tell you this, for the first time in my life I had the caca scared out of me!”

Caca is a favorite Robin Williams-ism, but I can't think of any movie where he said this.

Peter Graves

This isn't Hank Azaria in Birdcage, is it?

Chad Lowe

Sally Field? from Garp?

Omar Sharif

I'm betting this is Dennis Morgan, from My Wild Irish Rose

Eve Arden?

Lauren Bacall

Russell Crowe

All I got for now.
For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled. -- Richard Feynman

franktangredi

#7 Post by franktangredi » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:11 am

mellytu74 wrote:

MIRA SORVINO
Damn, I had a feeling I had left someone off that list! Mira Sorvino should have been included. Sorry.

mellytu74

#8 Post by mellytu74 » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:58 am

franktangredi wrote:
mellytu74 wrote:

MIRA SORVINO
Damn, I had a feeling I had left someone off that list! Mira Sorvino should have been included. Sorry.

PENELOPE CRUZ

frogman042
Bored Pun-dit

#9 Post by frogman042 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:24 am

Douglas Fairbanks?

Katherine Hepburn - The Lion In Winter

Sidney Poitier in The Heat of the Night

Tom Cruise - A Few Good Men

Alec Baldwin - Glengarry Glen Ross

Lee J Cobb in 12 Angry Men

Josh Brolin?

Kevin Costner?

Chris Sarandon - Princess Bride

Donald Sutherland in Ordinary People (are you sure this quote is correct - I thought he was talking about the color of his shirt, not his shoes)

Peter Graves - Airplane!

I know this - can't place it.

27. Of a trilogy in which he starred, he has said that the 1995 film was about what could be, the 2004 film was about what should have been, and the 2013 film was about what is.
Ethan Hawke - the 'Before' Trilogy (Sunrise, Sunset, Midnight)

Audrey Hepburn - Breakfast at Tiffany's

Jackie Coogan?

Jean Arthur?

Jason Robards - Philadelphia

Elizabeth Shue - Adventures in Babysitting

50. “I am not a vigilante. I am just trying to get home to my little girl's birthday party and if everyone will just stay out of my way, nobody will get hurt.”
Michael Douglas

54. “Now what kind of an attitude is that, ‘These things happen?’ They only happen because this whole country is just full of people who, when these things happen, they just say ‘These things happen,’ and that's why they happen!”
Ethel Merman - IAMMMMW

Lawrence Olivier?

Jane Fonda - They Shoot Horses Don't They?

Karl Malden - On The Waterfront

Debra Winger - Terms of Endearment

70. “Criss-cross.”
Robert Walker - Strangers on a Train

Malcolm McDonald - A Clockwork Orange

76. “Three tomatoes are walking down the street- a poppa tomato, a momma tomato, and a little baby tomato. Baby tomato starts lagging behind. Poppa tomato gets angry, goes over to the baby tomato, and smooshes him ... and says, ‘Catch up.’”
Uma Thurman - Pulp Fiction

Jeff Goldblum -Jurassic Park

From Gentleman's Agreement - either Gregory Peck or Celeste Holms

Cary Grant - His Girl Friday

Someone who won the Oscar in a Woody Allen movie

Lauren Bacall - To Have or Have Not

Javier Bardam (sp) No Country For Old Men

Morgen Freeman - Shawshank Redemption

mellytu74

#10 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:03 am

mellytu74 wrote:

DOROTHY MCGUIRE
frogman's answer made me realize I had been thinking about the scene and wrote the wrong thing.

It's GREGORY PECK talking to Dorothy McGuire.

Pastor Fireball

#11 Post by Pastor Fireball » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:05 am

Yay! First pass!

TOM CRUISE

PATTY DUKE (ASTIN)

LAURENCE HARVEY is the only guy I can think of who was born in Lithuania.

KEVIN COSTNER

PETER GRAVES

CHAD LOWE

JACKIE COOPER

JACK CASSIDY

Nagy sounds like a Hungarian name, so I'll try ZSA ZSA GABOR.

55. She won a Tony award for a role that had previously won the same award for Glynis Johns.

She was probably most famous on stage for Sondheim's A Little Night Music--which, interestingly, is referenced in Clue #96--and the star of the revival was CATHERINE ZETA-JONES.

81. She received her only Oscar nomination in competition with two other actresses from the same movie. (None of them ever won.)

I thought at first that #31 might have been about Tom Jones, but I'm pretty sure this one involves Tom Jones. Edith Evans and Joyce Redman were nominated for other Oscars, but DIANE CILENTO never got another nod.

PENELOPE CRUZ (acting Oscar winners in Woody Allen films)
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

earendel

#12 Post by earendel » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:39 pm

Maybe a consolidation will jumpstart this. I used ? when more than one person had an answer of which they were uncertain, and / if two people had different answers but seemed certain.

DOUGLAS FAIRBANKS SR

KATHERINE HEPBURN

SIDNEY POITIER?

TOM CRUISE

5. This actress was named “Babe of the Year” by GQ the same year her then-husband was named “Sexiest Man Alive” by People.

ALEC BALDWIN

AVA GARDNER

LEE J COBB

JOSH BROLIN?

PATTY DUKE ASTIN

LEW AYERS

LAWRENCE HARVEY

14. “Well, if I was gonna kill you, I wouldn't do a dumb thing like hitting you on the head. First of all, I don't like the fingerprint angle. Of course, I could always wear gloves. Press your hands against the pipe after you were dead and make you look like a suicide. Except it don't seem hardly likely that you'd beat yourself to death with a club. I'd murder you so it didn't look like murder.”

KEVIN COSTNER/SYLVESTER STALLONE

CHRIS SARANDON

COLLEEN DEWHURST?

DONALD SUTHERLAND

LAURENCE OLIVIER

WILLIAM HURT?

PETER GRAVES

JAMES BROLIN?

VIVIAN LEIGH

VANESSA REDGRAVE?

HANK AZARIA

ETHAN HAWKE

MEL FERRER

DINA MERRILL

30. “Children don't have to defend themselves. When a child is taken, they automatically move forward. Isn't that nice?”

FRANCHOT TONE? MICHAEL J POLLARD?

AUDREY HEPBURN

CHAD LOWE

34. “I arrived last night. Right in time for English Department cocktails. The c**k was mine. The tail belonged to a lovely young thing with a passion for D.H. Lawrence.”

35. He starred in one of my favorite Twilight Zone episodes, as an aging Broadway actor in the throes of a midlife crisis.

36. “The notary will tell you that I'm leaving you my whole estate. It may surprise you, but it's the truth. The lawyer will give you all the documents because your father was my son. He was the Soubeyran I'd hoped for all my life, whom I tormented to death because I didn't know who he was. If I had told him about the spring, he'd still be playing his harmonica, and you'd all be living in our family home. No one knows it, but I'm too ashamed to face anyone, even the trees.”

PIERCE BROSNAN

38. “They turned me loose from the nervous hospital. Said I was well. I got hired on by a Mr. Bill Cox fixing lawnmowers and whatnot. That grass out there in the yard has grown up quite a bit. I reckon I might cut it for you.”

39. Her film career has included adaptations of works by Feodor Dostoevski, Ernest Hemingway, Shirley Jackson, Henrik Ibsen, Ray Bradbury, John Le Carre – and, of course, Shakespeare.

40. “Somebody once wrote, ‘Hell is the impossibility of reason.’ That's what this place feels like. Hell.”

JACKIE COOPER/JACKIE COOGAN

42. “You wrote to me once, listing the four chief virtues: wisdom, justice, fortitude and temperance. As I read the list, I knew I had none of them. But I have other virtues, Father. Ambition. That can be a virtue when it drives us to excel. Resourcefulness, courage - perhaps not on the battlefield, but there are many forms of courage. Devotion, to my family and to you. But none of my virtues were on your list. Even then, it was as if you didn't want me for your son.”

MIRIAM HOPKINS? CLAUDETTE COLBERT? JEAN ARTHUR?

JASON ROBARDS

JACK CASSIDY

GLENN CLOSE

47. In two different films, this British actress has played the mother of the actress in Clue #5.

ELIZABETH SHUE

OMAR SHARIF

MICHAEL DOUGLAS

ZSA ZSA GABOR

52. “Oh, you got a letter? I got run over! Helen gets her hair chopped off, Julie gets a body in her trunk, and you get a letter? That's balanced!”

RONALD REAGAN

ETHEL MERMAN

CATHERINE ZETA-JONES

REBECCA DE MORNAY

RICHARD BURTON? LAWRENCE OLIVIER?

MADONNA? JANE FONDA?

DENNIS MORGAN

60. “You know something, Fantan? This world is so full of crap, a man's gonna get into it sooner or later whether he's careful or not.”

61. This actress – who tragically died of leukemia at the age of 32 – had her most memorable movie moment playing the trumpet in a film with a harmonica score.

KARL MALDEN

JOHNNY MACK BROWN? JOHN AGAR?

NICOLAS CAGE

EVE ARDEN

DEBRA WINGER

67. He received an Oscar nomination for playing an actor who is the answer to one of the preceding clues.

SEAN PENN

CAROLE LOMBARD

70. “Criss-cross.”
ROBERT WALKER

71. After seeing this actor in a Hitchcock film, a British critic wrote, “For the first time on our screen we have the British equivalent of a Clark Gable or a Ronald Colman, playing in a purely national idiom.”

72. “May 23rd. My first batch of subjects arrived today, and I have to admit that I am very excited. This could be the dawn of a new age. Nuclear power is meaningless in a world where a virus can kill an entire population and leave its wealth intact.”

73. I can’t swear that she is the only actress ever deliberately electrocuted on screen by a Capuchin monkey, but I’d be willing to take the bet.

MALCOLM MCDOWELL

75. One of his first stage roles was as Stanley Kowalski in Un Tram Che Si Chiama Desiderio; one of his last screen roles was as the voice of Mufasa in Il Re Leone.

UMA THURMAN

JEAN SIMMONS

78. “It is clear that we are just an advanced breed of primates on a minor planet orbiting around a very average star, in the outer suburb of one among a hundred billion galaxies. But ever since the dawn of civilization, people have craved for an understanding of the underlying order of the world. There ought to be something very special about the boundary conditions of the universe. And what can be more special than that there is no boundary? And there should be no boundary to human endeavor. We are all different. However bad life may seem, there is always something you can do, and succeed at. While there is life, there is hope.”

BETSY BLAIR

JEFF GOLDBLUM

DIANE CILENTO

GREGORY PECK

BRENDA MARSHALL

CARY GRANT

PENELOPE CRUZ

LAUREN BACALL

87. On one of my least favorite episodes of The Twilight Zone, he played a Confederate soldier who has a chance to defeat the entire Union army, but won’t do it because he refused to traffic with the Devil.

88. “You know what I'm realizing? My life is just going to go. Like that. This series of milestones. Getting married. Having kids. Getting divorced. The time that we thought you were dyslexic. When I taught you how to ride a bike. Getting divorced ... again. Getting my master’s degree. Finally getting the job I wanted. Sending Samantha off to college. Sending you off to college. You know what's next? Huh? It's my f**king funeral! Just go, and leave my picture!”

89. In his best-known film role, this French actor cuckolded a former Sexiest Man Alive. (It did not end well for him.)

JOHN C REILLY

EVA MARIE SAINT

92. “I don't know if you'd be particularly interested in hearing anything about me. My life, I mean. Most of it doesn't add up to much that I could relate as a way of life that you'd approve of…. I'd like to be able to tell you why, but I don't really... I mean, I move around a lot because things tend to get bad when I stay. And I'm looking ... for auspicious beginnings, I guess.... I'm trying to, you know, imagine your half of this conversation. My feeling is, that if you could talk, we probably wouldn't be talking. That's pretty much how it got to be before I left.”

93. The film version of a Broadway hit ended with a “curtain call” in which this actress gave the girl playing her daughter a well-deserved spanking.

JAVIER BARDEM

RUSSELL CROWE? AUSTIN PENDLETON?

97. It’s a toss-up which of his screen characters was the most purely evil: the serial killer, the necromancer, or the Nazi.

MORGAN FREEMAN

99. His film career included adaptations of works by Henry James, James Jones, Theodore Dreiser, Tennessee Williams, Nathanael West, Irwin Shaw – and NOT Shakespeare.

GLORIA SWANSON
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

franktangredi

#13 Post by franktangredi » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:19 pm

All of the answers with question marks are correct. All of the answers with alternative answers include the correct answers.

Two definite are wrong, and one of them is my fault: I included a future film in my count.

earendel wrote:Maybe a consolidation will jumpstart this. I used ? when more than one person had an answer of which they were uncertain, and / if two people had different answers but seemed certain.

DOUGLAS FAIRBANKS SR

KATHERINE HEPBURN

SIDNEY POITIER?

TOM CRUISE

ALEC BALDWIN

AVA GARDNER

LEE J COBB

JOSH BROLIN?

PATTY DUKE ASTIN

LEW AYERS

LAWRENCE HARVEY

KEVIN COSTNER/SYLVESTER STALLONE

CHRIS SARANDON

COLLEEN DEWHURST?

DONALD SUTHERLAND

LAURENCE OLIVIER

WILLIAM HURT?

PETER GRAVES

JAMES BROLIN?

VIVIAN LEIGH

VANESSA REDGRAVE?

HANK AZARIA

ETHAN HAWKE

MEL FERRER

DINA MERRILL

FRANCHOT TONE? MICHAEL J POLLARD?

AUDREY HEPBURN

CHAD LOWE

PIERCE BROSNAN

JACKIE COOPER/JACKIE COOGAN

MIRIAM HOPKINS? CLAUDETTE COLBERT? JEAN ARTHUR?

JASON ROBARDS

JACK CASSIDY

GLENN CLOSE

ELIZABETH SHUE

OMAR SHARIF

MICHAEL DOUGLAS

ZSA ZSA GABOR

RONALD REAGAN

ETHEL MERMAN

CATHERINE ZETA-JONES

REBECCA DE MORNAY

RICHARD BURTON? LAWRENCE OLIVIER?

MADONNA? JANE FONDA?

DENNIS MORGAN

KARL MALDEN

JOHNNY MACK BROWN? JOHN AGAR?

NICOLAS CAGE

EVE ARDEN

DEBRA WINGER

SEAN PENN

CAROLE LOMBARD

70. “Criss-cross.”
ROBERT WALKER

MALCOLM MCDOWELL

UMA THURMAN

JEAN SIMMONS

BETSY BLAIR

JEFF GOLDBLUM

DIANE CILENTO

GREGORY PECK

BRENDA MARSHALL

CARY GRANT

PENELOPE CRUZ

LAUREN BACALL

JOHN C REILLY

EVA MARIE SAINT

JAVIER BARDEM

RUSSELL CROWE? AUSTIN PENDLETON?

MORGAN FREEMAN

GLORIA SWANSON

silverscreenselect

#14 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:21 pm

KENNETH BRANAGH (Olivier)

JOYCE VAN PATTEN (the film is Monkey Shines)

OLIVIER MARTINEZ (the other actor was Richard Gere)

MONTGOMERY CLIFT
Last edited by silverscreenselect on Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

mellytu74

#15 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:25 pm

Filling in a couple - the consolidation certainly DID help! :) :) :)

BRIAN AHERNE! A favorite of mine, too.

PAUL NEWMAN - this is at the end of Hud.

Not sure of this but I think it's KAY KENDALL. Movie about a car.

MONTGOMERY CLIFT (the Heiress, From Here to Eternity, Place in the Sun, Suddenly Last Summer, Lonelyhearts, Young Lions)

silverscreenselect

#16 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:39 pm

I knew this was Inglorious Basterds, but I cheated to look up the actor. It's TIL SCHWEIGER (I knew it wasn't Brad Pitt, but I wasn't sure which one of the others it was).

CLAIRE BLOOM

franktangredi

#17 Post by franktangredi » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:49 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:10. “Say ‘Auf Wiedersehen’ to your Nazi balls!”

I knew this was Inglorious Basterds, but I cheated to look up the actor. It's TIL SCHWEIGER (I knew it wasn't Brad Pitt, but I wasn't sure which one of the others it was).
Dammitohell, I plucked the wrong person from the scene! There's no way to fix this.

Go with this quote from earlier in the scene: "I was saying that that makes two of us. I've had a gun pointed at your balls since you sat down."

Earl the Squirrel

#18 Post by Earl the Squirrel » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:59 pm

mellytu74 wrote: 91. Joan Crawford accused this younger actress of “setting the cause of Hollywood glamor back 20 years” by accepting an Oscar in a home-made dress.

EVA MARIE SAINT?
If Mel doesn't know this, nobody will so I'll put you out of your misery...ha!

Joanne Woodward. I learned this from Lana Turner's autobiography (she was up that year for Peyton Place with a gorgeous mermaid dress while Cheryl was in Prell green with halter straps).

Joanne Woodward, Michael Fassbender, Kay Kendall....

I'm going with movies that included a real life romance for $200, Tangredi.

mellytu74

#19 Post by mellytu74 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:44 pm

Earl the Squirrel wrote:
mellytu74 wrote: 91. Joan Crawford accused this younger actress of “setting the cause of Hollywood glamor back 20 years” by accepting an Oscar in a home-made dress.

EVA MARIE SAINT?
If Mel doesn't know this, nobody will so I'll put you out of your misery...ha!

Joanne Woodward. I learned this from Lana Turner's autobiography (she was up that year for Peyton Place with a gorgeous mermaid dress while Cheryl was in Prell green with halter straps).

Joanne Woodward, Michael Fassbender, Kay Kendall....

YES!! I knew Eva Marie wasn't quite right ….. Joanne Woodward!!

Thank you, Earl.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#20 Post by Estonut » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:39 am

SCARLETT JOHANSSON

RIP TORN

PAUL BETTANY

BILLY BOB THORNTON

CHARLIE SHEEN

JOAQUIN PHOENIX

KRISTIN SCOTT THOMAS

MADONNA? JANE FONDA? - This is MADONNA in "A League of Their Own"

PATRICIA ARQUETTE

JACK NICHOLSON
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

mellytu74

#21 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:47 am

Earl the Squirrel wrote: Joanne Woodward, Michael Fassbender, Kay Kendall....

I am not sure Matches Made in Heaven works ....Montgomery Clift? Karl Malden?

I am wondering if it is stuff in the sky ...

Clift - A Place in the Sun
Paul Bettany - After the Rain

but I am not sure this holds up.

I am at a complete loss here.

silverscreenselect

#22 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:01 am

mellytu74 wrote:
Earl the Squirrel wrote: Joanne Woodward, Michael Fassbender, Kay Kendall....

I am not sure Matches Made in Heaven works ....Montgomery Clift? Karl Malden?

I am wondering if it is stuff in the sky ...

Clift - A Place in the Sun
Paul Bettany - After the Rain

but I am not sure this holds up.

I am at a complete loss here.
Frank hinted that the two people match up in different capacities, so it wouldn't be two actors appearing in the same movie having a word like "sun" or "moon" in the title.

I'm wondering about Jack Cassidy; He did a lot of TV work but very few movies in his career. The best known would be The Eiger Sanction and The Chapman Report. He also played John Barrymore and Damon Runyan, but Frank did a puzzle about actors who played other actors, and I did a puzzle about actors who played writers so I'm not sure Frank would want to do another on the same subject.

mellytu74

#23 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:36 am

silverscreenselect wrote:Frank hinted that the two people match up in different capacities, so it wouldn't be two actors appearing in the same movie having a word like "sun" or "moon" in the title.

I'm wondering about Jack Cassidy; He did a lot of TV work but very few movies in his career. The best known would be The Eiger Sanction and The Chapman Report. He also played John Barrymore and Damon Runyan, but Frank did a puzzle about actors who played other actors, and I did a puzzle about actors who played writers so I'm not sure Frank would want to do another on the same subject.
I was thinking of his performance in Ring Lardner's June Moon, with Susan Sarandon. But I don't think that was a theatrical release. I think that was Great Performances.

But it's been some 40 years since I've seen it so I could be wrong.

Pastor Fireball

#24 Post by Pastor Fireball » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:56 am

silverscreenselect wrote:I'm wondering about Jack Cassidy; He did a lot of TV work but very few movies in his career. The best known would be The Eiger Sanction and The Chapman Report. He also played John Barrymore and Damon Runyan, but Frank did a puzzle about actors who played other actors, and I did a puzzle about actors who played writers so I'm not sure Frank would want to do another on the same subject.
Jack Cassidy also did a movie called Bunny O'Hare.

Catherine Zeta-Jones just happens to be on this list, and she was in Chicago.

Could Frank actually find airport names in sixty different film titles?
"[Drumpf's] name alone creates division and anger, whose words inspire dissension and hatred, and can't possibly 'Make America Great Again.'" --Kobe Bryant (1978-2020)

"In times of crisis, the wise build bridges. The foolish build barriers." --Chadwick Boseman (1976-2020)

franktangredi

#25 Post by franktangredi » Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:00 pm

I think you're going to hit it soon. And the matches will topple like dominoes.