I voted

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
earendel

I voted

#1 Post by earendel » Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:28 am

I went to the polls at 6AM, when they opened, and there was already a line waiting. That was surprising to me since there's no big race on the ballot - our Congressional representative is expected to win, as is the incumbent mayor. There was a ballot initiative on victims' rights that may have stirred some interest, but other than that, the ballot was pretty straightforward.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: I voted

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:05 pm

I have voted. There was a line out the door at 9:30 this morning. Many, many booths (three different precincts use my polling place), all in use. The poll worker said she'd never seen it this busy at this hour.

I overheard an exchange that was music to my ears. After the poll workers located the name of the woman in front of me in their registration books, they handed her a ballot. The woman looked to be in her mid-40s or so. She asked, "What do I do now?" I inferred from her question that she's a first-time voter. Maybe we've finally broken through the apathy that's swept our country for too long. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Spock

#3 Post by Spock » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:41 pm

Bob78164 wrote:I have voted. There was a line out the door at 9:30 this morning. Many, many booths (three different precincts use my polling place), all in use. The poll worker said she'd never seen it this busy at this hour.

I overheard an exchange that was music to my ears. After the poll workers located the name of the woman in front of me in their registration books, they handed her a ballot. The woman looked to be in her mid-40s or so. She asked, "What do I do now?" I inferred from her question that she's a first-time voter. Maybe we've finally broken through the apathy that's swept our country for too long. --Bob
Wow!!!!! congrats, in an urban precinct with presumably thousands of voters-you happened to be in line near someone who may or may not be a first time voter.

silverscreenselect

#4 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:41 pm

Bob78164 wrote:I have voted. There was a line out the door at 9:30 this morning. Many, many booths (three different precincts use my polling place), all in use. The poll worker said she'd never seen it this busy at this hour.
Don't they have mail-in voting in California?
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:16 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Yes, but it's optional. I like the ritual of voting in person. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#6 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:40 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Assume y'all have early voting, too.
Well, then

Vandal
Director of Promos

#7 Post by Vandal » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:54 pm

From Twitter:

It puts the ballot in the box.

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#8 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:56 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Assume y'all have early voting, too.
Yes. California's good at making it easy to vote. --Bob

BackInTex

#9 Post by BackInTex » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:27 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote: Assume y'all have early voting, too.
So is Texas. We have early voting for about 2 weeks. The polls are open everyday, including Sunday (limited hours). Not as many polling places, but you can go to any polling place within your county regardless of your precinct. And I have never waited more than 15 minutes to early vote.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#10 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:34 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote: Assume y'all have early voting, too.
So is Texas. We have early voting for about 2 weeks. The polls are open everyday, including Sunday (limited hours). Not as many polling places, but you can go to any polling place within your county regardless of your precinct. And I have never waited more than 15 minutes to early vote.
I waited maybe 7.
Well, then

silverscreenselect

#11 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:32 pm

In Georgia, there were reports of long lines during weekday early voting, but I voted on Saturday a week ago at the rec center of a nearby city park and there was no line at all. I was in and out in about five minutes total. Only a few locations had weekend voting though. You have to vote in the county in which you live, but you could early vote at any location in the county.

silverscreenselect

#12 Post by silverscreenselect » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:33 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
This may be a dumb question, but if you mail in your ballot, how do they know it's you and not BiT or Esto trying to pull a fast one by claiming to be you?

My understanding is that it may take a week or two to count all the mail-in votes, so that some close Congressional races may not be decided for several days.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#13 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:42 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
This may be a dumb question, but if you mail in your ballot, how do they know it's you and not BiT or Esto trying to pull a fast one by claiming to be you?

My understanding is that it may take a week or two to count all the mail-in votes, so that some close Congressional races may not be decided for several days.
First they'd have to get into my mailbox to get the ballot in the first place (after I sign up to be a permanent vote-by-mail voter). Then they'd have to sign my name on the outer envelope with a signature close enough to match my signature on file. Then they'd have to hope that I don't decide to vote in person. --Bob

jaybee

#14 Post by jaybee » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:44 pm

Tennessee has about two weeks worth of early voting. Monday - Friday, at least in my county. Walk in, waited a minute or two at the first line, vote an then out again. Probably 7-8 minutes tops.

Saw an article about the TN early voting for this midterm election - as of about two days prior to early voting closing out there had been more votes cast via early voting than all votes total in the last mid-term. Encouraging. But, we have a couple of close contested races this time that weren't there last time.
Jaybee

MarkBarrett

#15 Post by MarkBarrett » Tue Nov 06, 2018 5:50 pm

I left home at 8:33 and arrived at the polling place at 8:34 as it's conveniently around the corner. There was no line and the gentleman found my name on the first try with no extra page flipping.

While voting using my ready-to-go crib sheet I heard one person show up and produce his driver's license which the poll worker assured him was not necessary. Another voter asked if there was a spare handbook to use.

The machine for feeding the ballots was malfunctioning and I could hear another worker on the phone trying to get help to get it working. By the time I finished filling out ballot (4 sheets with 2 sides on three of them) the machine was ready for a test to see if all was okay. All four went through fine taking the counter from 128 to 132 meaning I was the 33rd voter at that precinct. I got my sticker and was home at 8:42.

When seeing people on the news lined up for hours and miles from home it makes me grateful to live in S.F.