The "Press" Conference

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

Re: The "Press" Conference

#26 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:13 am

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#27 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:18 am

Acosta did indeed put his forearm/hand on the girl's arm and pushed down. Regular video shows that.
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#28 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:51 am

Beebs52 wrote:Acosta did indeed put his forearm/hand on the girl's arm and pushed down. Regular video shows that.
Did you by chance see the false altered video that the White House shared to prove its point?

For those who are blocked by the paywall of The Washington Post (as I will be soon enough this month), here's the important stuff:
Drew Harwell wrote:The edited video looks authentic: Acosta appeared to swiftly chop down on the arm of an aide as he held onto a microphone while questioning President Trump. But in the original video, Acosta’s arm appears to move only as a response to a tussle for the microphone. His statement, “Pardon me, ma’am,” is not included in the video Sanders shared.

Critics said that video — which sped up the movement of Acosta’s arms in a way that dramatically changed the journalist’s response — was deceptively edited to score political points. That edited video was first shared by Paul Joseph Watson, known for his conspiracy-theory videos on the far-right website Infowars.

. . . .

Side-by-side comparisons support claims from fact-checkers and experts such as Jonathan Albright, research director of the Tow Center for Digital Journalism at Columbia University, who argued that crucial parts of the video appear to have been altered so as to distort the action.
Punishing the press to protest a question crosses one line. Trying to change the facts to support that decision crosses another. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#29 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:58 am

Beebs52 wrote:Acosta did indeed put his forearm/hand on the girl's arm and pushed down. Regular video shows that.
I am just not seeing a violent act there. It still looks like he was trying to hang on to the mic and contact was made, and he immediately said "pardon me ma'am". Not that I'm saying it makes it 100% ok, but I am just not seeing the malicious intent the White House wants to make it out to be.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#30 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:13 am

T_Bone0806 wrote:
I am just not seeing a violent act there. It still looks like he was trying to hang on to the mic and contact was made, and he immediately said "pardon me ma'am". Not that I'm saying it makes it 100% ok, but I am just not seeing the malicious intent the White House wants to make it out to be.
Beebs may have seen the video, distributed by the White House, that was doctored to make it look like Acosta chopped her arm. Here's the true video. The moment occurs at around 1:30. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#31 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:17 am

Bob78164 wrote: Trying to change the facts to support that decision crosses another. --Bob
The words "fake news" come readily to mind.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#32 Post by Beebs52 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:25 am

Bob78164 wrote:
T_Bone0806 wrote:
Beebs may have seen the video, distributed by the White House, that was doctored to make it look like Acosta chopped her arm. Here's the true video. The moment occurs at around 1:30. --Bob
Do NOT assume any such thing. Unless cnn is infowars.He should have been in no position to touch her at all. Giv3 the mic back.
Well, then

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#33 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:30 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:But he is doing some good things for this country
That depends on which side of the fence one is on. My ideas on what's good for the country obviously are different from yours..that's the nature of the political beast...but the worst of the conservative wishlist could prove personally devastating to me. Frightening, to be honest.
Many people say he is thin skinned. I think he has very thick skin to take all the abuse and hate that he does. The big difference from other republican politicians is that he fights back. He does it very immaturely and childishly, but he doesn't just take it.
But the difference there is that, in his current position, every word he utters is amplified to the nth degree and lands with great impact on many ears..some with unfortunate results. He refuses to see or admit that his diatribes sometimes have significant consequences and blames the evil media or Democrats. His minion Kellyanne Conway goes on Fox News and basically blames Late Night Comedians for the synagogue bombing. The "shoot from the hip" statements are fired off scattershot and later walked back, explained as just being sarcastic, or just plain contradicted. Actual facts are mere inconveniences. Seems he just says things and hopes no one fact checks or calls him on it, or does he just say them, knowing his supporters will believe any word, or just not care (remember the "I could shoot someone on 5th Avenue" remark?). A reporter asks a valid question about his use of the word "nationalist". I am not going to argue that it was what some would call a dog whistle..frankly, it could be or could not be intentional..I have no way of knowing..but cerrtainly in the current climate that word has taken on a new meaning and asking the President if he was concerned that his use of the word might be wrongly interpreted and send an incorrect message to people was a valid question. A proper answer would have been "Of course it concerns me, but in no way did I intend for it to be taken as a show of support for any hate group." Instead, he accuses the woman of asking a racist question and brags about his poll numbers.

Obviously I do not like the man. I thought he was an a-hole when he visited all the talk shows hawking "The Art of the Deal". I thought he was an a-hole when he was play acting with WWE and when he had his Apprentice show. Just because he now occupies the Oval Office, doesn't mean my opinion has changed. The difference is his words in his previous endeavors didn't carry the impact or influence they do now and he HAS to be cognizant of that..and especially, he must CARE. He is the leader and the face of this country for the rest of the world. Fair or not, he HAS to be better than this.

As my friend Skoop would say, words matter.

As for the Dems, they REALLY need to think about the next few months. Instead of immediately going on a full-on assault on Trump as soon as they're seated, they need to try to pass some of the items on their agenda that they believe will help the PEOPLE..making Trump a martyr of sorts could backfire on them in a major way. They also need to be looking into a 2020 candidate that will inspire with fresh energy and fresh ideas..and I don't mean Elizabeth Warren, Joe Biden, or any of the old guard...Although I'd love to see Trump booted out like a reality TV contestant, doing these things instead of focusing all of their energy on a vendetta against Trump is the smart play, in my opinion. I mean, it's not like he's going to fire his Attorney General in favor of a loyalist who will cover his ass and prevent damaging information from coming out, putting Trump's interests over those of the American people or anything, right?

Ummmmmmmmmm........
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

flockofseagulls104

#34 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:31 pm

My God, people. The point is that if some Fox News person had done the same thing, all you Acosta defenders would be up in arms demanding a firing, and you know it.

The main point, however, once again, is the 'question' Acosta asked. He may just as well have asked, 'Mr. President, you're a fucking racist, aren't you?' It would have amounted to the same thing. He wasn't asking a question to enlighten the public about any issue or policy. And then he interjected his opinion, chastising the President. The President gave an answer to his stupid question. The video of the 'caravan' invading Mexican territory told the story. They weren't actors. They weren't from Hollywood. Then he ignored the President's request for him to sit down multiple times. You people complain about the President's lack of decorum. But the President was the adult in this situation. Several of the 'reporters' acted like hateful spoiled brats with an attitude. Acosta is a partisan hack pretending to be a reporter.
Last edited by flockofseagulls104 on Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

flockofseagulls104

#35 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:33 pm

every word he utters is amplified to the nth degree
After it is interpreted by the hostile press, usually incorrectly and maliciously. They take the literal and make it general and the general and make it literal. Whatever suits their purpose.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#36 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:43 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
After it is interpreted by the hostile press, usually incorrectly and maliciously. They take the literal and make it general and the general and make it literal. Whatever suits their purpose.

I've seen plenty of video in which I don't need any interpretation. Unless, that is, someone has manipulated video to change lip movements into forming the words they want, then hire an actor to imitate Trump's voice. Obviously they had to have gotten someone better tan Alec Baldwin for the job..

So much easier just to say "Fake News".
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#37 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:53 pm

You misspelled "President"...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

silverscreenselect

#38 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:28 pm

T_Bone0806 wrote: As for the Dems, they REALLY need to think about the next few months. Instead of immediately going on a full-on assault on Trump as soon as they're seated, they need to try to pass some of the items on their agenda that they believe will help the PEOPLE..making Trump a martyr of sorts could backfire on them in a major way.
Here's a flashback to the last time the Democrats were in this position in 2007:

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/03/wash ... 3cong.html

Pelosi et al should hit the ground running with some legislation just like they did in 2007. If the Republicans kill it in the Senate, which they undoubtedly will, the political conversation will write itself.

silverscreenselect

#39 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:37 pm

Another Trump supporter takes his words to heart:
A Mountain Home [AR] man was arrested Tuesday, accused of making threatening telephone calls to CNN headquarters in Atlanta. Benjamin Craig Matthews, 39, made more than 40 threatening calls to CNN from Oct. 31 to Nov. 2, according to a probable-cause affidavit filed in Baxter County Circuit Court.

In several calls, Matthews threatened a CNN journalist described in court documents as DL. In one call, according to the affidavit, Matthews asked the CNN switchboard operator, "Could I be directed to DL's dead body hanging from a tree?" Another time, Matthews asked if his call could be directed to "pipe bombs for DL." In another call, Matthews spoke of "bloody pictures of DL cut up in small pieces, like the movie Saw," according to the affidavit from Sgt. Brad Hurst with the Baxter County sheriff's office.

M.J. Condland, an investigator from the Atlanta Police Department, contacted the Baxter County sheriff's office Friday about the investigation underway in Georgia. Condland is assigned to the Police Department's Homeland Security investigation unit. The threatening calls were made from a cellphone belonging to Matthews, according to the affidavit. Cell tower data indicated that the calls were placed from Baxter County. "Audio recordings of the phone calls indicate that all of the calls were made from the same male subject," according to the affidavit. "A person who has personal knowledge of Benjamin Matthews agreed to listen to samplings of the phone calls. The person positively identified the voice as that of Benjamin Matthews. Matthews' telephone records indicate that he had also made calls to MSNBC; U.S. Rep. Maxine Waters, D-Calif.; U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y.; attorney Michael Avenatti; Washington Speakers Bureau; and Planned Parenthood, "suggesting a pattern of harassment towards certain political affiliations," according to the affidavit.
DL couldn't possibly be Don Lemon, could it?

https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/201 ... bI.twitter

flockofseagulls104

#40 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:16 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:Another Trump supporter takes his words to heart:
A Mountain Home [AR] man was arrested Tuesday, accused of making threatening telephone calls to CNN headquarters in Atlanta. Benjamin Craig Matthews, 39, made more than 40 threatening calls to CNN from Oct. 31 to Nov. 2, according to a probable-cause affidavit filed in Baxter County Circuit Court.

In several calls, Matthews threatened a CNN journalist described in court documents as DL. In one call, according to the affidavit, Matthews asked the CNN switchboard operator, "Could I be directed to DL's dead body hanging from a tree?" Another time, Matthews asked if his call could be directed to "pipe bombs for DL." In another call, Matthews spoke of "bloody pictures of DL cut up in small pieces, like the movie Saw," according to the affidavit from Sgt. Brad Hurst with the Baxter County sheriff's office.

M.J. Condland, an investigator from the Atlanta Police Department, contacted the Baxter County sheriff's office Friday about the investigation underway in Georgia. Condland is assigned to the Police Department's Homeland Security investigation unit. The threatening calls were made from a cellphone belonging to Matthews, according to the affidavit. Cell tower data indicated that the calls were placed from Baxter County. "Audio recordings of the phone calls indicate that all of the calls were made from the same male subject," according to the affidavit. "A person who has personal knowledge of Benjamin Matthews agreed to listen to samplings of the phone calls. The person positively identified the voice as that of Benjamin Matthews. Matthews' telephone records indicate that he had also made calls to MSNBC; U.S. Rep. Maxine Waters, D-Calif.; U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y.; attorney Michael Avenatti; Washington Speakers Bureau; and Planned Parenthood, "suggesting a pattern of harassment towards certain political affiliations," according to the affidavit.

Oh please. Talk about extrapolation.
I didn't see any of this crap when Steve Scalise was shot.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#41 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:22 pm

That's because prominent Democrats weren't engaging in rhetoric that could even arguably be construed as inciting physical violence. --Bob

kroxquo

#42 Post by kroxquo » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:18 pm

I watched most of the press conference during my planning period at school and a couple things struck me.

First, it was amazing about how much of what he said came down to "I have the biggest @#$%". Whether it was talking about Republicans who distanced themselves from him (and remember it was Reagan's eleventh commandment that said 'Thou shalt not speak ill of another Republican'), Democrats, other foreign leaders, or the media, his overarching theme was "I am better than you." It really makes it seem like he thinks the Presidency is a pissing contest.

Second, part of the problem was that he would not let reporters finish their questions and answered what he wanted to answer. I am thinking of one British reporter near the end who began by mentioning the seeming disconnect of suburban women voters to his administration. He never let her finish the question, went off on how popular he was across the country, and never addressed the question at hand. This happened on a number of occasions.

Don't get me wrong. I think the press did to a certain degree display rudeness and lack of respect, but that feeling was sent right back.
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

flockofseagulls104

#43 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:29 pm

Bob78164 wrote:

That's because prominent Democrats weren't engaging in rhetoric that could even arguably be construed as inciting physical violence. --Bob
Like equating republicans to Nazis and white supremecists? They don't even do that on this bored.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#44 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:40 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Like equating republicans to Nazis and white supremecists? They don't even do that on this bored.
Only when they use the rhetoric of Nazis and white supremacists. --Bob

flockofseagulls104

#45 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:02 pm

Bob78164 wrote:

Just in case you don't get to hear about it from your approved news sources.
https://www.apnews.com/5aa41068747f4e41b39947f761462f96
https://www.investors.com/politics/edit ... elections/

flockofseagulls104

#46 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:04 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:That's because prominent Democrats weren't engaging in rhetoric that could even arguably be construed as inciting physical violence. --Bob
Only when they use the rhetoric of Nazis and white supremacists. --Bob
As defined by who?

silverscreenselect

#47 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:18 pm

Please provide any instance in which any prominent liberal advocated violence against Tucker Carlson or Fox news in general.

Bob Juch

#48 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:20 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
I see you're running for King of Whataboutistan. What prominent Democrats called for violence?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

flockofseagulls104

#49 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:29 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:That's because prominent Democrats weren't engaging in rhetoric that could even arguably be construed as inciting physical violence. --Bob
I see you're running for King of Whataboutistan. What prominent Democrats called for violence?
You really like that word. It's probably the longest one you know.

Let's see, off the top of my head. I'll limit it to 3 in each category.
Prominent elected democrats: Maxine Waters, Cory Booker, Eric Holder.

Prominent democrats (I assume): Madonna, Kathy Griffin, Robert DeNiro.

Prominent Democrat Tools: Many CNN pundits everyday comparing republicans to nazis and trump to hitler. What friendly neighborhood lunatic would not fancy themselves the person who took out hitler before he started the war? Antifa (Triple threat, they advocate it and carry it out, and are organized). BLM (Against police officers)

flockofseagulls104

#50 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:32 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:Please provide any instance in which any prominent liberal advocated violence against Tucker Carlson or Fox news in general.
Please provide any proof that you have stopped beating your wife.