Democrats Flip Another House Seat

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

Democrats Flip Another House Seat

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:38 am

This one is the Second Congressional District in New Mexico, which had been called for the Republican candidate, but a new group of absentee ballots has given Democrat Xochitl Torres Small nearly a 3,000 vote lead. This also gives the Democratic party a clean sweep of the New Mexico Congressional delegation. Karen Handel has also conceded, so that's a pickup that's very near and dear to my heart.

A number of seats still remain uncalled, including the 7th here in Georgia, several in California, the one in Maine due to their unusual instant runoff system, and the big one, the Arizona Senate race where the Republican candidate has a 17,000 vote lead with over 600,000 ballots still uncounted. 538 estimates the Democrats will pick up 37 seats total, which would make the House 232-203.

http://electionresults.sos.state.nm.us/ ... ED&map=CTY
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob Juch

Re: Democrats Flip Another House Seat

#2 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:04 am

silverscreenselect wrote:This one is the Second Congressional District in New Mexico, which had been called for the Republican candidate, but a new group of absentee ballots has given Democrat Xochitl Torres Small nearly a 3,000 vote lead. This also gives the Democratic party a clean sweep of the New Mexico Congressional delegation. Karen Handel has also conceded, so that's a pickup that's very near and dear to my heart.

A number of seats still remain uncalled, including the 7th here in Georgia, several in California, the one in Maine due to their unusual instant runoff system, and the big one, the Arizona Senate race where the Republican candidate has a 17,000 vote lead with over 600,000 ballots still uncounted. 538 estimates the Democrats will pick up 37 seats total, which would make the House 232-203.

http://electionresults.sos.state.nm.us/ ... ED&map=CTY
The uncounted ballots here are from early and mail voting. There are some being held-up because of supposed signature mismatches. The Republicans are suing to stop those from being counted.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:12 pm

Republican Yvette Herrell has sued, asking for absentee ballots to be impounded and checked for possible fraud. I am eagerly awaiting Flock to come on here and scream about how Republicans refuse to accept the results of any close race they lose and are adopting desperate tactics to scrounge for votes....

And for the record, I've got no problem with this lawsuit (even though I don't think it will go anywhere).

http://nmpoliticalreport.com/2018/11/14 ... e-ballots/

flockofseagulls104

#4 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:16 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:Republican Yvette Herrell has sued, asking for absentee ballots to be impounded and checked for possible fraud. I am eagerly awaiting Flock to come on here and scream about how Republicans refuse to accept the results of any close race they lose and are adopting desperate tactics to scrounge for votes....

And for the record, I've got no problem with this lawsuit (even though I don't think it will go anywhere).

http://nmpoliticalreport.com/2018/11/14 ... e-ballots/
You have some kind of mental illness.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:17 pm

California's 10th Congressional District was called for the Democratic candidate last night. I think it won't be long before Gil Cisneros takes the lead in California's 39th District, which I'm sure will make PSM happy (that's where she lives). Republican Young Kim's lead has dwindled and is now under 200 votes. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

mellytu74

#6 Post by mellytu74 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:15 pm

Add NJ 3 where Democrat Andy Kim has beaten incumbent Tom McArthur. Kim had declared victory a couple of days after the election, when McArthur's base of Ocean County had completed its absentee count. The margin is up to around 7,000 now.

McArthur was one of the architects of the ACA repeal and was the only NJ Member of Congress (of either party) to vote for the tax bill. You might have seen the clips of constituents blasting McArthur in town halls.

Trump carried the district in 2016.

Combined with the election night loss by Leonard Lance and the flip of Rodney Frelingheusen's and Frank LoBiondo's old seats, this means there is one Republican in the NJ House delegation - Chris Smith. The last time the Republicans has such small representation in Congress -1912.

Only a few years ago, it was a 6-6 split, as opposed to the new 11-1.

Also, the entire area from the Lehigh Valley east southeast to the tip of the Jersey Shore now has two Republicans reps - Smith and PA 1 Brian Fitzpatrick (Bucks County).

In addition to the McArthur and LoBiondo flips, the new, more reflective election map that replaced the badly gerrymandered one gave Democrats four new Democratic members in the Philadelphia suburbs and Lehigh Valley - three taking over seats from retired Republicans Ryan Costello, Pat Meehan and Charlie Dent.
Last edited by mellytu74 on Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

silverscreenselect

#7 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:10 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote: You have some kind of mental illness.
How long did it take you to think up that witty retort?