Is Mississippi competitive?

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Is Mississippi competitive?

#1 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:37 pm

Senator Cindy Hyde-Smith seems to be doing her very best to make next Tuesday's runoff against former Agriculture Secretary Mike Espy competitive. How in the world does any politician, especially in the South, think they can get away with saying they'd enjoy a front-row seat at a public hanging? And what, other than bigotry, could possibly have been going through her mind when she said it?

And then to top it off, she actually said, out loud, that it would be a good thing to make it harder for liberals to vote.

Maybe Doug Jones will have some southern company in the Democratic caucus. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

Re: Is Mississippi competitive?

#2 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:31 pm

Ironically, Hyde-Smith was considered the more moderate Republican candidate in the three-way open primary race against Chris McDaniel. Polls showed Espy winning a runoff against McDaniel but losing against Hyde-Smith.

Is she's more moderate, I shudder to think what McDaniel must be like.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:39 am

Donald Trump has scheduled a couple of campaign rallies for Mississippi before the runoff. I'm not sure how much of this is legitimate concern for the closeness of the race and how much of it is an attempt by him to stroke his ego in front of a couple of adoring crowds.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#4 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:40 am

Here's another data point. She accepted a $2700 donation from a notorious white supremacist, and even though his background has been called to her attention, she hasn't returned it. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#5 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:04 am

Walmart has asked Senator Hyde-Smith to return its campaign contribution to her. And she still hasn't apologized for her remarks, which lends credence to the belief that she meant what she said. --Bob

flockofseagulls104

#6 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:00 pm

No, it's not. But I believe it should get a participation trophy at least.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#7 Post by Bob78164 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:27 pm

At Senator Hyde-Smith's insistence, there will be no press and no public and her one and only debate with Espy. And she insisted that questions for the candidates to pose one another be pre-submitted and asked by the moderator, rather than the candidates themselves. So we're learning that she's not willing to face the public and that she's not willing to take responsibility for her own words.

Or actions. A picture just surfaced of Hyde-Smith posing for a picture in a Confederate cap. The more I learn about her, the more I'm thinking that "public hanging" remark was accidental honesty rather than a slip. --Bob

tlynn78

#8 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:40 pm

Bob78164 wrote:At Senator Hyde-Smith's insistence, there will be no press and no public and her one and only debate with Espy. And she insisted that questions for the candidates to pose one another be pre-submitted and asked by the moderator, rather than the candidates themselves. So we're learning that she's not willing to face the public and that she's not willing to take responsibility for her own words.

Or actions. A picture just surfaced of Hyde-Smith posing for a picture in a Confederate cap. The more I learn about her, the more I'm thinking that "public hanging" remark was accidental honesty rather than a slip. --Bob
That's a shame. I'm sure you were completely open-minded about her before that. :roll:
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

jarnon

#9 Post by jarnon » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:56 pm

This column from the Inquirer tells a bit of the history of Hyde-Smith's home town. She is a moderate compared to some past residents.

Why the blood of a 1955 Mississippi murder drenches today’s U.S. Senate race
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#10 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:05 pm

jarnon wrote:This column from the Inquirer tells a bit of the history of Hyde-Smith's home town. She is a moderate compared to some past residents.

Why the blood of a 1955 Mississippi murder drenches today’s U.S. Senate race
Maybe. But she did attend high school at a segregationist academy — a school specifically set up so that white parents wouldn’t have to send their kids to school with black kids.

Okay, you may be thinking. She probably didn’t have a choice which school she went to. But she sent her daughter to one too. And in any event with that background she should have been particularly sensitive to the offense her remark about public hanging was bound to offer.

She may not be racist herself. But she sure seems to want the racists to think she’s a racist. —Bob

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#11 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:12 pm

And that’s not even counting her support over the years for various measures that glorified the Confederacy. Or her Facebook post celebrating Confederate relics as “Mississippi history at its best.” —Bob

lilclyde54

#12 Post by lilclyde54 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:18 pm

Just to answer the question originally proposed, yes this will be the most competitive democrat/republican state-wide contest in years. However, there is no way Espy will win here Tuesday. He will be the most competitive democrat in a decade but most of our state-wide races are determined in the Republican primary. Anyone convinced that a different outcome will be in the headlines Wednesday is welcome to offer up a cash wager.
I felt the change

Time meant nothing and never would again

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#13 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:13 pm

lilclyde54 wrote:Just to answer the question originally proposed, yes this will be the most competitive democrat/republican state-wide contest in years. However, there is no way Espy will win here Tuesday. He will be the most competitive democrat in a decade but most of our state-wide races are determined in the Republican primary. Anyone convinced that a different outcome will be in the headlines Wednesday is welcome to offer up a cash wager.
I’m inclined to agree with you. Roy Moore barely lost and Hyde-Smith isn’t in quite as much hot water. Espy is making it close and Hyde-Smith is making it closer, but in the end I think too many voters will look past her apparent approval of open racism.

The interesting question is whether the business community will be equally forgiving. —Bob

silverscreenselect

#14 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:38 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
lilclyde54 wrote:Just to answer the question originally proposed, yes this will be the most competitive democrat/republican state-wide contest in years. However, there is no way Espy will win here Tuesday. He will be the most competitive democrat in a decade but most of our state-wide races are determined in the Republican primary. Anyone convinced that a different outcome will be in the headlines Wednesday is welcome to offer up a cash wager.
I’m inclined to agree with you. Roy Moore barely lost and Hyde-Smith isn’t in quite as much hot water. Espy is making it close and Hyde-Smith is making it closer, but in the end I think too many voters will look past her apparent approval of open racism.

The interesting question is whether the business community will be equally forgiving. —Bob
While I tend to agree with this, one thing I've read is that Chris McDaniel, the third-place finisher who got about 15% of the vote is not a fan of the Republican establishment in the state and that many of his supporters are still upset about the way he's been treated over the years. As a result, they may sit this election out. I tend to doubt that supporters of a hard-right candidate would do that, but it's been bandied about.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#15 Post by Bob78164 » Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:54 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

While I tend to agree with this, one thing I've read is that Chris McDaniel, the third-place finisher who got about 15% of the vote is not a fan of the Republican establishment in the state and that many of his supporters are still upset about the way he's been treated over the years. As a result, they may sit this election out. I tend to doubt that supporters of a hard-right candidate would do that, but it's been bandied about.
Even if they do, she still came in ahead of Espy in the general. —Bob

silverscreenselect

#16 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:08 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Even if they do, she still came in ahead of Espy in the general. —Bob
Complete results

Hyde-Smith (R) Incumbent 41.3% 389,952
Espy (D) 40.9% 386,312
McDaniel (R) 16.4% 154,866
Bartee (D) 1.5% 13,849

If everyone votes the same way, Hyde-Smith would win 57-43 in the runoff. But if many of McDaniel's supporters sit this out, it gets a lot closer.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#17 Post by Estonut » Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:40 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Even if they do, she still came in ahead of Espy in the general.
Complete results

Espy (D) 40.9% 386,312
Bartee (D) 1.5% 13,849

If everyone votes the same way, Hyde-Smith would win 57-43 in the runoff. But if many of McDaniel's supporters sit this out, it gets a lot closer.
Is it not possible for 100,000 voters to come out now in support of either candidate?
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

jarnon

#18 Post by jarnon » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:58 am

Estonut wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:Complete results

Espy (D) 40.9% 386,312
Bartee (D) 1.5% 13,849

Is it not possible for 100,000 voters to come out now in support of either candidate?
That's what Trump and Obama are working on. But the Republicans had a 140,000-vote edge. So for Espy to win, more Democrats must vote and some Republicans, disgusted by recent revelations, have to stay home.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#19 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:59 am

Another factor I’d forgotten about. Mississippi is one of the least elastic states in the nation. Most Mississippi voters (on both sides) simply are not persuadable. Given the Republican advantage in registration that’s bad news for Espy. —Bob

silverscreenselect

#20 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Nov 28, 2018 1:58 am

Hyde-Smith won by about 8%, half of the margin by which Republicans outpaced Democrats in the first election. So, as lilclyde predicted, Espy did very well by Mississippi standards, but not well enough to win.