"The City in Texas History"-Turning Texas Bob

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

"The City in Texas History"-Turning Texas Bob

#1 Post by Spock » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:20 am

I found exactly the book I was looking for in a Barnes and Noble in Plano, Texas; without knowing if such a book existed. I wanted something on the growth of the metroplexes or whatever they are called now. I found it in "The City in Texas History" which jumped into my hands at the store. Along with a book on oil wildcatters and one on Indians-hey, I still like what I like.

Anyway, as one might imagine, in "City" the author argues that cities are ignored in Texas history and they are the true drivers of Texas (OK, I get that) and, obviously, a main theme is the consistent growth in Texas cities over the last number of decades.

I had to laugh, though, when I paged ahead to the end. His last few paragraphs basically argue that unless Texas completely changes course and follows policies that Bob#'s would prescribe that Texas's growth will stop.

Um, I get the whole "Turn Texas Blue" thing-and, personally, I would prefer if Texas didn't grow so fast-However, it seems kind of a reach to come to that conclusion. Given the consistent growth over decades, there doesn't seem to be a problem in the growth department under current policies.

Obviously, I am of the school that "Turning Texas Bob" at the state level would hurt the Texas economy and stymie growth.

tlynn78

Re: "The City in Texas History"-Turning Texas Bob

#2 Post by tlynn78 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:54 am

Books are magical. My brother just very recently related this: an avid reader, he was wandering a large used-book store in GA, with his wife, who insisted he keep his hands in his pockets. After twenty or so minutes of browsing hundreds of books, he was allowed to pick up a random tome that caught his eye, as he (mistakenly) thought the title referenced some bit of Montana history. Before he put it back, he flipped through, and on the flyleaf, he noticed a hand-written dedication. To a man with the exact same name as his.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

Re: "The City in Texas History"-Turning Texas Bob

#3 Post by Beebs52 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:38 pm

tlynn78 wrote:Books are magical. My brother just very recently related this: an avid reader, he was wandering a large used-book store in GA, with his wife, who insisted he keep his hands in his pockets. After twenty or so minutes of browsing hundreds of books, he was allowed to pick up a random tome that caught his eye, as he (mistakenly) thought the title referenced some bit of Montana history. Before he put it back, he flipped through, and on the flyleaf, he noticed a hand-written dedication. To a man with the exact same name as his.
Yikes! Did he buy it?
Well, then