US citizens will need visas for Europe

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
bazodee

US citizens will need visas for Europe

#1 Post by bazodee » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:40 am

This is pretty big news, although it's been talked about for awhile.

Starting in 2021, U.S. citizens will require a special kind of visa to visit most of Europe.
Here's a CNN piece that explains the rationale and detail:

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/us-c ... index.html

flockofseagulls104

Re: US citizens will need visas for Europe

#2 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:55 am

Correction: An earlier version of this story mischaracterized the European Travel Information and Authorization System (ETIAS) as a visa. It is an authorization system. The story also incorrectly stated that this announcement was made on Friday. The headline and story have been updated.
It is not a visa and it is not targeted at the USA.

CNN - Come to your own conclusion.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Ritterskoop

#3 Post by Ritterskoop » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:52 pm

I don't think this is a big deal. Folks have to get docs to visit us; now we have to get docs to visit them (a passport will still go a long way toward the requirements).
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

jarnon

#4 Post by jarnon » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:12 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Correction: An earlier version of this story mischaracterized the European Travel Information and Authorization System (ETIAS) as a visa. It is an authorization system. The story also incorrectly stated that this announcement was made on Friday. The headline and story have been updated.
It is not a visa and it is not targeted at the USA.

CNN - Come to your own conclusion.
I checked out the ETIAS website. It's a visa waiver program, but there are places on their own website where they call it a visa, so there's practically no difference. There will be a fee; the website dosen't say how much, but probably small.

When I visited Jordan, I got a visa upon landing in Amman for a small charge. The travel agency tried to sell me a visa in advance, for a much higher charge, "to avoid last-minute problems." That would have been a waste of money.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Duh Mass
Merry Man

#5 Post by Duh Mass » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:16 am

Darn it! All I have is American Express...

silverscreenselect

#6 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:44 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote: CNN - Come to your own conclusion.
I guessed I missed the post in which you expressed your outrage at Jeanine Pirro's comments over the weekend. Or Tucker Carlson's.

I'm sure an impartial media watchdog like you would have been all over that.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

flockofseagulls104

#7 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:47 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote: CNN - Come to your own conclusion.
I guessed I missed the post in which you expressed your outrage at Jeanine Pirro's comments over the weekend. Or Tucker Carlson's.

I'm sure an impartial media watchdog like you would have been all over that.
What does that have to do with anything in this thread?

Your reference to the above is more proof of bias by outlets like CNN.

You think Media Matters goes back in time to find shit on MSM anchors?
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

silverscreenselect

#8 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:00 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote: Your reference to the above is more proof of bias by outlets like CNN.
Let me see if I have this straight. Jeanine Pirro and Tucker Carlson shoot off their mouths and that's proof of bias by CNN.

Got it.

BackInTex

#9 Post by BackInTex » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:26 am

Where is the outrage that anyone needs to have any form of ID?
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Ritterskoop

#10 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:51 am

BackInTex wrote:Where is the outrage that anyone needs to have any form of ID?
Everyone should have ID to travel. No?
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

bazodee

#11 Post by bazodee » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:07 am

BackInTex wrote:Where is the outrage that anyone needs to have any form of ID?

Americans could previously visit these Schengen (European Union) countries without a visa. Now we will have to get clearance (permission) in advance, and for a price. The necessity for a passport does not change.

flockofseagulls104

#12 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:25 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote: Your reference to the above is more proof of bias by outlets like CNN.
Let me see if I have this straight. Jeanine Pirro and Tucker Carlson shoot off their mouths and that's proof of bias by CNN.

Got it.
I believe in the first amendment and I totally reject political correctness. Ilhan Omar can say anything she wants, and so can Carlson and Pirro. I will judge them individually on what I believe is the content of their character. I will discount what any media person on either side tells me what to think.
CNN is supposed to be an objective observer of events. But they are not.

silverscreenselect

#13 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:12 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote: CNN is supposed to be an objective observer of events. But they are not.
I'm curious who you think is an objective observer of events. Fox? Breitbart? The Washington Free Beacon? Sean Hannity?

Pirro and Carlson may be free to say anything they want, but as representatives of Fox News, the network bears some responsibility for them. But I didn't hear any condemnation of Fox News from you today or ever, while you bash CNN all the time.

If anything, CNN, the Post, and the Times often bend over too far in trying to present "both sides" of a story.

earendel

#14 Post by earendel » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:36 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote: CNN is supposed to be an objective observer of events. But they are not.
Pirro and Carlson may be free to say anything they want, but as representatives of Fox News, the network bears some responsibility for them.
To be fair, FOX did state its disapproval Pirro's comments.
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/201 ... haria.html - see the update at the bottom of the page.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

flockofseagulls104

#15 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:20 pm

If anything, CNN, the Post, and the Times often bend over too far in trying to present "both sides" of a story.
Are you serious? 90+% negative stories on trump? I guess 10% is too much? That's an agenda, sir. And it feeds your bigotry.
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... new-study/

silverscreenselect

#16 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:07 pm

Are you serious? 90+% negative stories on trump? I guess 10% is too much? That's an agenda, sir. And it feeds your bigotry.
Other than the detail that your source is a year old and the second detail that it comes from the Washington Times and the third detail that their source is the Media Research Center, a right wing organization whose mission is "to expose and neutralize the propaganda arm of the Left: the national news media," which might affect how they categorize certain references, I don't know what's wrong with your source.

Did it ever occur to you that the reason why coverage of Trump is so negative is the same as the reason why the coverage of the Baltimore Orioles was so negative last year... because they were both terrible.

flockofseagulls104

#17 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:19 pm

Other than the detail that your source is a year old and the second detail that it comes from the Washington Times and the third detail that their source is the Media Research Center, a right wing organization whose mission is "to expose and neutralize the propaganda arm of the Left: the national news media," which might affect how they categorize certain references, I don't know what's wrong with your source.

Did it ever occur to you that the reason why coverage of Trump is so negative is the same as the reason why the coverage of the Baltimore Orioles was so negative last year... because they were both terrible.
Similar results from a Harvard University study, but that is beside the point. You don't need a study. All you need to do is watch the 'news' from any of your 'accepted' sources of information that only report the news that fits their narrative and agenda. If the coverage of the incident with the Covington kids doesn't make you think, you have no mind. Once again, you totally discredit FACTS because the facts aren't from your 'accepted' sources, the only ones that tell the truth. Where is the list I asked for?

mellytu74

#18 Post by mellytu74 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:14 am

Ritterskoop wrote:I don't think this is a big deal. Folks have to get docs to visit us; now we have to get docs to visit them (a passport will still go a long way toward the requirements).
On Sunday, at the Philadelphia Travel Show (down the hall from the Philadelphia Flower Show), we had a discussion with someone from the State Department about this. There was a roving passport office set up (free admission if you were applying for/renewing a passport) and

The visa will last several years and cost about $15. A Skoop points out, it is a reciprocal agreement situation. It is not a big deal.

Implementation will be late 2020 or - most likely - beginning of 2021.

flockofseagulls104

#19 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:00 am

mellytu74 wrote:
Ritterskoop wrote:I don't think this is a big deal. Folks have to get docs to visit us; now we have to get docs to visit them (a passport will still go a long way toward the requirements).
On Sunday, at the Philadelphia Travel Show (down the hall from the Philadelphia Flower Show), we had a discussion with someone from the State Department about this. There was a roving passport office set up (free admission if you were applying for/renewing a passport) and

The visa will last several years and cost about $15. A Skoop points out, it is a reciprocal agreement situation. It is not a big deal.

Implementation will be late 2020 or - most likely - beginning of 2021.
Probably a good thing. I was involved in a software project in Germany a couple of years ago. Some of the people who were involved from the beginning were not allowed back in because they had over 90 days in total in country.