RIP Jan-Michael Vincent

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
themanintheseersuckersuit

RIP Jan-Michael Vincent

#1 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:39 am

https://www.tmz.com/2019/03/08/airwolf- ... Trfbe3_R8c

It makes me sad that the stories about his career do not mention his first starring movie role, 1974's Buster and Billie. The screenplay was written by a local guy and the place names in the film are local landmarks. I bet even SSS could not find a copy of the film. I was really bad. We had a local premier.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

themanintheseersuckersuit

Re: RIP Jan-Michael Vincent

#2 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:49 am

from Wiki on JMV
"Vincent also starred in the 1974 romance Buster and Billie as the antihero Buster Lane, where he startled audiences with his full-frontal nudity." I had actually forgotten about that last part.
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

silverscreenselect

#3 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:31 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:https://www.tmz.com/2019/03/08/airwolf- ... Trfbe3_R8c

It makes me sad that the stories about his career do not mention his first starring movie role, 1974's Buster and Billie. The screenplay was written by a local guy and the place names in the film are local landmarks. I bet even SSS could not find a copy of the film. I was really bad. We had a local premier.
It is available from some sources on DVD, including this one:

https://www.vermontmoviestore.com/products/busterbill

This is full frame and is undoubtedly a bootleg, probably a DVD-R, from a questionable source, either a VHS tape or a recording of a TV broadcast. Needless to say, the transfer quality on films like this is very hit and miss. The film has never been legally released on DVD, although there probably are VHS copies still floating around (I might have one; I'd have to go through my inventory to check).
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

BackInTex

#4 Post by BackInTex » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:25 pm

I'm surprised his appearance in a Dragnet episode hasn't made a crappy promo.

When he does, I'm sure his name will be Vandal.

..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#5 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:27 pm

One Vincent movie I love that is available is Big Wednesday. He, Gary Busey, and William Katt are three guys who just want to spend all their time surfing, except that eventually the real world (Vietnam, pregnant girlfriends) intrudes. But they have one last amazing day at the beach with the perfect big waves. Interesting trivia is that Barbara Hale of Perry Mason fame, who was Katt's mother, played his mother in the movie. Well worth a watch for the surfing footage alone if you can find it.

SpacemanSpiff

#6 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:46 pm

The two roles I always remember his from was Danger Island, a live action segment in The Banana Splits Adventure Hour, directed by Richard Donner -- it was originally supposed to be a live-action version of Jonny Quest, but didn't quite make it; and an ABC Movie of the Week, Tribes, where he played a hippie-type draftee (long flowing hair) that hits a Marine Corps boot camp.
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

Estonut
Evil Genius

#7 Post by Estonut » Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:25 pm

Wow! He was just on Conan last month (2/06) and seemed fine.

RIP

EtF: Date
Last edited by Estonut on Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Vandal
Director of Promos

#8 Post by Vandal » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:56 pm

BackInTex wrote:I'm surprised his appearance in a Dragnet episode hasn't made a crappy promo.

When he does, I'm sure his name will be Vandal.

I act look more like bow-tie dude.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Estonut
Evil Genius

#9 Post by Estonut » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:08 pm

Estonut wrote:Wow! He was just on Conan last month (2/06) and seemed fine.

RIP
Brain fart. That was a different hyphenate, Jean-Claude Van Damme.
Groucho Marx

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#10 Post by T_Bone0806 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:10 pm

SpacemanSpiff wrote:The two roles I always remember his from was Danger Island, a live action segment in The Banana Splits Adventure Hour

He was in that?? Wow.

I watched the Banana Splits faithfully as a kid, and remember really liking the Danger Island segment, but the only thing I can remember from it was that catch phrase..."Uh-Oh, Chongo!"

But I could still sing ya the Banana Splits theme song and not miss a single lyric.

Selective memory is a wonderous thing.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Vandal
Director of Promos

#11 Post by Vandal » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:51 pm

I remember seeing this one at the local movie theater:

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#12 Post by SportsFan68 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:51 pm

He was wonderful in The Mechanic. I was so disappointed when he vanished from television and movies. If we'd been playing Dead or Alive last week, I would have missed this one -- I thought he died about five years ago.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

silverscreenselect

#13 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:30 am

SportsFan68 wrote:He was wonderful in The Mechanic. I was so disappointed when he vanished from television and movies. If we'd been playing Dead or Alive last week, I would have missed this one -- I thought he died about five years ago.
Wait long enough and Dead or Alive becomes very easy to play.

jaybee

#14 Post by jaybee » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:55 pm

I found this part especially sad: Jan-Michael actually died back on February 10 after suffering cardiac arrest while a patient at a North Carolina hospital ... according to the death certificate.

Sounds like it was pretty hard times for the last few years.

I'm pretty sure that I've actually seen "Buster and Billie". Thinking it had to be an HBO / cable showing. It was quite while ago. IIRC, Buster was the popular high school guy who fell for Billie - a girl "with a reputation" as they said back then.
Jaybee

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#15 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:52 pm

I’d have been right about him in Dead or Alive for the wrong reason. In my head, I had him mixed up with Jon Voight. —Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Estonut
Evil Genius

#16 Post by Estonut » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:12 pm

Bob78164 wrote:I’d have been right about him in Dead or Alive for the wrong reason. In my head, I had him mixed up with Jon Voight.
Jon Voight is still alive.
Groucho Marx

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#17 Post by Bob78164 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:54 pm

Estonut wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:I’d have been right about him in Dead or Alive for the wrong reason. In my head, I had him mixed up with Jon Voight.
And until recently, so was Jan-Michael Vincent. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Estonut
Evil Genius

#18 Post by Estonut » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:50 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Estonut wrote:
And until recently, so was Jan-Michael Vincent.
So what you meant to say was that, had you been playing Dead or Alive prior to February 10, you would have been right for the wrong reason. Why didn't you say so? :roll:
Groucho Marx

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#19 Post by littlebeast13 » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:20 am

Bob78164 wrote:I’d have been right about him in Dead or Alive for the wrong reason. In my head, I had him mixed up with Jon Voight. —Bob

When I saw his name, I conflated the names of Jan Hammer and Philip Michael Thomas and wondered why nobody was mentioning Miami Vice...

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

BackInTex

#20 Post by BackInTex » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:30 am

littlebeast13 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:I’d have been right about him in Dead or Alive for the wrong reason. In my head, I had him mixed up with Jon Voight. —Bob

When I saw his name, I conflated the names of Jan Hammer and Philip Michael Thomas and wondered why nobody was mentioning Miami Vice...

lb13
In this thread kept getting him confused with Jean-Claude Van Damme. Not even close.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Director_Of_Promos
Merry Man

#21 Post by Director_Of_Promos » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:56 am

We in the promos department would like to thank you all for the free publicity for Dead or Alive?

Let it be known that of all the other actors/performers mentioned in this thread, only one is dead.
Because you want to know.

Earl the Squirrel

#22 Post by Earl the Squirrel » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:37 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:https://www.tmz.com/2019/03/08/airwolf- ... Trfbe3_R8c

Really bad? No way, it was great! I can't count the number of times I've seen it (I may or not may have it on tape). It also had a pre-Nancy Drew Pamela Sue Martin (which I also have on tape in The Lady in Red, damn I love those 70s flicks!). To everybody else, Robert Englund is Freddy Krueger, to me he's Whitey the albino...

I also like Baby Blue Marine. I think that might have been one of Richard Gere's first movies.