Transcript 4/24/19 Catherine Hardee

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 4/24/19 Catherine Hardee

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:57 pm

Catherine Hardee
Kinston, N.C.

$500
In the classic tale, what causes the genteel Dr. Jekyll to turn into the evil, nasty Mr. Hyde?
A: He drinks a potion B: His cable bill goes up $5 a month
C: The Jets don’t cover the spread D: Sherlock Holmes de-friends him on Facebook

Spoiler
A: He drinks a potion

$1,000
Which four-letter “M” word can refer to both a single-channel audio recording AND an illness known as “the kissing disease”?
A: Magi B: Mono
C: Mini D: Mayo

Spoiler
B: Mono

$2,000
Dubai hack! You can save yourself a trip to the Burj Khalifa’s observation deck by making a reservation at what appropriately-named restaurant on its 122nd floor?
A: At.Mosphere B: At.Most10storieshigh
C: At.Aboutmyheight D: At.Groundlevel

Spoiler
A: At.Mosphere

$3,000
Which ’80s sitcom star famously helped popularize the #MeToo movement with her 10/2017 tweet about sexual harassment that quickly got over 50K responses?
A: Alyssa Milano B: Pam Dawber
C: Justine Bateman D: Joyce DeWitt

Spoiler
A: Alyssa Milano

$5,000
Descendants of 17th-century French settlers, the Acadians migrated south from Canada and famously established their culture in what state about 2000 miles away?
A: New York B: Minnesota
C: Oregon D: Louisiana

Spoiler
D: Louisiana

$7,000
Your odds of rolling a 9 on a pair of standard six-sided dice are exactly the same as your odds of rolling which other number?
A: 3 B: 5
C: 7 D: 11

Spoiler
Catherine’s brother Luke is a nuclear engineer. She reasons that there are 4 ways to roll a 9 (3+6, 4+5, 5+4 and 6+3). He says there are only 2 ways to roll a 5, so she answers 7.

Spoiler
B: 5
Catherine wins $5,000.

Commercial break

SpacemanSpiff

Re: Transcript 4/24/19 Catherine Hardee

#2 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:38 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Catherine Hardee
Kinston, N.C.
$7,000
Your odds of rolling a 9 on a pair of standard six-sided dice are exactly the same as your odds of rolling which other number?

Spoiler
Catherine’s brother Luke is a nuclear engineer. She reasons that there are 4 ways to roll a 9 (3+6, 4+5, 5+4 and 6+3). He says there are only 2 ways to roll a 5, so she answers 7.

Spoiler
Catherine wins $5,000.

Commercial break
I don't remember the precise percentages from my days playing backgammon, but I know that 7 has the greatest chance; since 9 is 2 more than 7, I figured 2 less than 7 would yield the same percentages as 9.
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

jarnon

Re: Transcript 4/24/19 Catherine Hardee

#3 Post by jarnon » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:44 am

SpacemanSpiff wrote:
BBTranscriptTeam wrote:Catherine Hardee
Kinston, N.C.
$7,000

Spoiler

Spoiler
Catherine wins $5,000.

Commercial break
I don't remember the precise percentages from my days playing backgammon, but I know that 7 has the greatest chance; since 9 is 2 more than 7, I figured 2 less than 7 would yield the same percentages as 9.
Luke was on the right track. The odds are based on the number of ways to roll a number. But he identified only 2 of them (1+4 and 2+3) and forgot the other 2. I hope he's more careful at work, for all our sakes.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי