Question re Derby

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Beebs52
Queen of Wack

Question re Derby

#1 Post by Beebs52 » Mon May 06, 2019 12:22 pm

Max Security owner filing appeal, etc. Would he have any case if he were to assert that the track was so compromised from rain and slop that horse jockey had no control over feets and all? No, we didn't bet on anyone.
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: Question re Derby

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Mon May 06, 2019 12:53 pm

Beebs52 wrote:Max Security owner filing appeal, etc. Would he have any case if he were to assert that the track was so compromised from rain and slop that horse jockey had no control over feets and all? No, we didn't bet on anyone.
I don't know the rules of horse racing, nor do I know Kentucky law about the availability of judicial review of a decision by the stewards. But I read a story in today's Los Angeles Times that said most of the people who knew what they were talking about agreed with the decision to disqualify, and thought that if it were any race other than the Derby it wouldn't have been a close call. Apparently there's a picture that shows one of the hooves of Maximum Security squarely between another horse's legs. It sounds like it was extremely lucky that no one went down. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#3 Post by Beebs52 » Mon May 06, 2019 1:10 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:Max Security owner filing appeal, etc. Would he have any case if he were to assert that the track was so compromised from rain and slop that horse jockey had no control over feets and all? No, we didn't bet on anyone.
I don't know the rules of horse racing, nor do I know Kentucky law about the availability of judicial review of a decision by the stewards. But I read a story in today's Los Angeles Times that said most of the people who knew what they were talking about agreed with the decision to disqualify, and thought that if it were any race other than the Derby it wouldn't have been a close call. Apparently there's a picture that shows one of the hooves of Maximum Security squarely between another horse's legs. It sounds like it was extremely lucky that no one went down. --Bob
That's what I saw, too. Just wondering what the what
Well, then

Bob Juch

#4 Post by Bob Juch » Mon May 06, 2019 1:36 pm

Here's the full race:

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Ritterskoop

#5 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon May 06, 2019 1:51 pm

I will be so glad when they put me in charge of everything, and I can shut down this barbaric endeavor they call a sport.

Horse racing and the Iditarod. Bam. And dog racing. All gone in one move.

All the dogs and horses can just run instead of being whipped or punished or rewarded. And then killed.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#6 Post by Beebs52 » Mon May 06, 2019 2:18 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:I will be so glad when they put me in charge of everything, and I can shut down this barbaric endeavor they call a sport.

Horse racing and the Iditarod. Bam. And dog racing. All gone
All the dogs and horses can just run instead of being whipped or punished or rewarded. And then killed.
I sorta agree with you.
Well, then

Spock

#7 Post by Spock » Mon May 06, 2019 2:48 pm

Stolen from Small Dead Animals

>>>"But perspective matters. The unsung hero of the debacle was War of Will, who miraculously avoided the legs of Maximum Security as he crossed in front of him. We could have been talking about multiple racetrack fatalities today, instead of a controversy in the stewards room.<<<<