The Problem With ...Global Warming as THE Existential Threat

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

The Problem With ...Global Warming as THE Existential Threat

#1 Post by Spock » Tue May 07, 2019 8:02 am

The problem with treating global warming as THE existential threat.

I have long thought that the problem with treating global warming as THE existential threat is that it sucked all the air out of the room from other conservation and environmental issues.

However, it dawned on me last night that the real problem with treating global warming as THE existential threat is that it also sucks the air out from the room for other existential threats such as Artificial Intelligence and Nanotechnology and Bioengineering.

I have been reading a lot on AI lately (both pro and con) and the main over-arching thought that strikes me is that those actually working on AI (wherever they might be) are so enamored with the technology that they are paying little or no attention to the risks.

Those risks deserve at least as much attention as global warming.

Simply put, we have time with global warming, we don't have time with AI.

Spock

Re: The Problem With ...Global Warming as THE Existential Th

#2 Post by Spock » Tue May 07, 2019 8:34 am

Even under a best case scenario, I don't see much room for humanity or nature in this AI, nano and bioengineered world that we creating as fast as we possibly can.

"Full speed ahead; Damn the consequences."

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#3 Post by Bob78164 » Tue May 07, 2019 9:15 am

Spock wrote:Simply put, we have time with global warming, we don't have time with AI.
That's exactly backwards. We're still a long way from actual AI. But it's already too late to avoid many severe effects of global warming, and the longer we continue to pump greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere without concern, the deeper the hole we are digging ourselves. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#4 Post by Bob Juch » Tue May 07, 2019 11:50 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Spock wrote:Simply put, we have time with global warming, we don't have time with AI.
That's exactly backwards. We're still a long way from actual AI. But it's already too late to avoid many severe effects of global warming, and the longer we continue to pump greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere without concern, the deeper the hole we are digging ourselves. --Bob
The good news is that after mankind is wiped out, AI will continue our knowledge.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

flockofseagulls104

#5 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue May 07, 2019 1:22 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
According to Al Gore, we should already be dead, but AOC gives us, what? eleven more years?

Of course, only America's greenhouse gasses do any harm. China and India's? No problemo!
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#6 Post by Bob78164 » Tue May 07, 2019 1:35 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
According to Al Gore, we should already be dead, but AOC gives us, what? eleven more years?

Of course, only America's greenhouse gasses do any harm. China and India's? No problemo!
Are you denying there's a problem or are you just saying we should ignore it because you think other countries also are ignoring it? Neither suggestion seems practical. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

flockofseagulls104

#7 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue May 07, 2019 1:59 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:That's exactly backwards. We're still a long way from actual AI. But it's already too late to avoid many severe effects of global warming, and the longer we continue to pump greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere without concern, the deeper the hole we are digging ourselves. --Bob

Are you denying there's a problem or are you just saying we should ignore it because you think other countries also are ignoring it? Neither suggestion seems practical. --Bob
I am not denying that there MAY be a problem, but I think the main problem is the politics behind the issue.
I mention China and India to point out the hypocrisy of the politics.
The issue has been discussed here at length, so you can now call me your names, which is your main debating technique.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#8 Post by Beebs52 » Tue May 07, 2019 2:17 pm

Next neverending thread.
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#9 Post by Beebs52 » Tue May 07, 2019 2:39 pm

So Bob. Will you be advocating against, for example, Chinese contribution to pollution and AI shenanigans as avidly as you advocate against Bored supposed bigotry?
https://www.technologyreview.com/f/6129 ... -use-artif
Well, then

flockofseagulls104

#10 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue May 07, 2019 2:42 pm

Beebs52 wrote:So Bob. Will you be advocating against, for example, Chinese contribution to pollution and AI shenanigans as avidly as you advocate against Bored supposed bigotry?
Well, those are not approved causes, so he can't go all in on them. But he will be slightly concerned.

flockofseagulls104

#11 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Tue May 07, 2019 2:44 pm

Beebs52 wrote:So Bob. Will you be advocating against, for example, Chinese contribution to pollution and AI shenanigans as avidly as you advocate against Bored supposed bigotry?
The Chinese leaders have apparently never watched any of the Terminator movies.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#12 Post by Bob78164 » Tue May 07, 2019 3:16 pm

Bob78164 wrote:

I am not denying that there MAY be a problem, but I think the main problem is the politics behind the issue.
The issue has been discussed here at length, so you can now call me your names, which is your main debating technique.
By the time you're willing to agree that there actually is a problem, it will be far too late to fix the problem. Kind of like waiting until your cancer reaches Stage 4 before admitting that maybe you should see the doctor. (And we're already at Stage 3.)

Not much I can do about China or India until we have a rational foreign policy that permits us to exert pressure on them to impose greenhouse gas limits. Donny has no interest in that subject, and the damage he's done to American ability to exert leadership on this issue will take a long time to repair. --Bob

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#13 Post by Beebs52 » Tue May 07, 2019 3:32 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:Are you denying there's a problem or are you just saying we should ignore it because you think other countries also are ignoring it? Neither suggestion seems practical. --Bob
By the time you're willing to agree that there actually is a problem, it will be far too late to fix the problem. Kind of like waiting until your cancer reaches Stage 4 before admitting that maybe you should see the doctor. (And we're already at Stage 3.)

Not much I can do about China or India until we have a rational foreign policy that permits us to exert pressure on them to impose greenhouse gas limits. Donny has no interest in that subject, and the damage he's done to American ability to exert leadership on this issue will take a long time to repair. --Bob
Tell us again how well that went in previous admini......never mind climate warrior.
Well, then

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#14 Post by Beebs52 » Tue May 07, 2019 3:44 pm

And, do we have to ask agaiiin...have you given up your fossil fuel produced phone and computer and vaseline and...
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#15 Post by Bob78164 » Tue May 07, 2019 3:57 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

Tell us again how well that went in previous admini......never mind climate warrior.
The Paris accords were a good start. Unilaterally withdrawing from them was a huge step backwards. --Bob

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#16 Post by Beebs52 » Tue May 07, 2019 4:01 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:By the time you're willing to agree that there actually is a problem, it will be far too late to fix the problem. Kind of like waiting until your cancer reaches Stage 4 before admitting that maybe you should see the doctor. (And we're already at Stage 3.)

The Paris accords were a good start. Unilaterally withdrawing from them was a huge step backwards. --Bob
No.
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#17 Post by Bob78164 » Tue May 07, 2019 4:06 pm

Beebs52 wrote:And, do we have to ask agaiiin...have you given up your fossil fuel produced phone and computer and vaseline and...
The problem (from this perspective) isn't the use of oil (although we will run out of the stuff at some point). The problem is burning it, which is what releases more greenhouse gasses into the atmosphere. I have no idea how much renewable energy was used to create my phone and my computer. And neither do you. But I do know that for nearly 30 years I've been driving cars that consistently get better than 40 mpg.

We can do a lot more than we have been to assist production of renewable energy. For starters, we could end the tax subsidies that we're still providing for fossil fuels. It's not as though they need those subsidies to remain profitable. And if they do, then we're distorting the economy's price signals in a way that makes no sense at all. --Bob

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#18 Post by Bob78164 » Tue May 07, 2019 4:07 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote: Tell us again how well that went in previous admini......never mind climate warrior.
No.
Yes.

Neener neener. --Bob

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#19 Post by Beebs52 » Tue May 07, 2019 4:12 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:The Paris accords were a good start. Unilaterally withdrawing from them was a huge step backwards. --Bob
No.
Yes.

Neener neener. --Bob
Good luck with that. No.
Well, then

themanintheseersuckersuit

#20 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Tue May 07, 2019 5:14 pm

Beebs52 wrote:Next neverending thread.
Hey! That’s my thing!
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#21 Post by Beebs52 » Tue May 07, 2019 5:18 pm

themanintheseersuckersuit wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:Next neverending thread.
Hey! That’s my thing!
And almost appropriate, less the AI. Gotta love it.
Well, then

Spock

#22 Post by Spock » Tue May 07, 2019 7:40 pm

This thread 100 percent illustrated my point in my original post-as I knew it would.

It immediately jumped to global warming with barely a nod to AI, Nano or bioengineering.

christie1111
11:11

#23 Post by christie1111 » Wed May 08, 2019 1:43 pm

Beebs52 wrote:And, do we have to ask agaiiin...have you given up your fossil fuel produced phone and computer and vaseline and...
Don't give up the Vaseline!

:lol:
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#24 Post by Beebs52 » Wed May 08, 2019 2:15 pm

christie1111 wrote:
Don't give up the Vaseline!

:lol:
Aquaphor is good, too. Is that blasphemy?
Well, then

jarnon

#25 Post by jarnon » Fri May 17, 2019 3:11 pm

Spock wrote:This thread 100 percent illustrated my point in my original post-as I knew it would.

It immediately jumped to global warming with barely a nod to AI, Nano or bioengineering.
Pope Francis (a leader on climate change) is also aware of the treat of AI.

Vatican conference on robotics and artificial intelligence

Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי