Colorado school shooting

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

Colorado school shooting

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Tue May 07, 2019 3:31 pm

Two suspects are in custody after several students at the Highlands Ranch STEM school were shot. The school was still in active shooter lockdown.

Highlands Ranch is a southern suburb of Denver.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

Re: Colorado school shooting

#2 Post by Beebs52 » Tue May 07, 2019 3:52 pm

Bob Juch wrote:Two suspects are in custody after several students at the Highlands Ranch STEM school were shot. The school was still in active shooter lockdown.

Yikes. My niece used to live there.
Well, then

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Tue May 07, 2019 4:05 pm

Beebs52 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:Two suspects are in custody after several students at the Highlands Ranch STEM school were shot. The school was still in active shooter lockdown.

Yikes. My niece used to live there.
So did my daughters and granddaughters. :cry:
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob Juch

#4 Post by Bob Juch » Tue May 07, 2019 7:25 pm

I'm getting social media posts saying one 18 year old student has died with seven wounded, some critically. One of the shooters was an "adult student", the other a juvenile.

jarnon

#5 Post by jarnon » Wed May 08, 2019 7:52 am

Student Nui Giasolli said classmate Kendrick Castillo lunged at the gunman, giving others "time to get underneath our desks, to get ourselves safe." Kendrick was shot and killed.

Kendrick Castillo, Brendan Bialy, and North Carolina's Riley Howell are amazing heroes. I’ve been taking a Krav Maga class and we just learned firearm defense, but I don’t know how I’d act in an emergency.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

BackInTex

#6 Post by BackInTex » Wed May 08, 2019 8:32 am

jarnon wrote: but I don’t know how I’d act in an emergency.
I don't think anyone does until it happens. We'd all like to think we'd be "brave" enough, but until the situation presents itself and the adrenaline rushes through the veins what actions we take are unknown.

I put "brave" in quotes because I think its definition is complex. Sometimes it is used as a synonym for "fearless", but in such a situation as yesterday it is more about "selflessness" in the face of danger. One can be brave in such a situation and be scared to death. Some amount of fear is healthy in such a situation to minimize foolhardiness.

R.I.P Kendrick Castillo (Hero, Brave, Selfless)
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#7 Post by BackInTex » Sat May 11, 2019 7:28 pm

Boy this shooting sure vanished quickly from media coverage. Why? Doesn't fit one agenda and hurts the other.

Two students arrested in Colorado school shooting make first appearance

The shooters weren't white nationalists or Trump supporters. Quite the opposite. One is transgender (biological female).
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#8 Post by Beebs52 » Sat May 11, 2019 7:41 pm

Some reports indicate one of the suspects was a bully, which doesn't fit current narratives. Net net is they were both crazy and/or evil, or both. Just like all the other crazies.
Well, then

flockofseagulls104

#9 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Sat May 11, 2019 8:05 pm

Let's not overlook this either

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ta ... -political

Not getting the coverage they gave David Hogg and that group of school shooting survivors. I wonder why?
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#10 Post by Beebs52 » Sat May 11, 2019 8:24 pm

Well, then

silverscreenselect

#11 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat May 11, 2019 8:25 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote: Not getting the coverage they gave David Hogg and that group of school shooting survivors. I wonder why?
I counted articles in the Washington Post, Denver Post, USA Today, Time, Rolling Stone, ABC News, and Slate, and that's just on the first two pages of my google search for "Colorado school shooting protest."

So, again one of your liberal bias press narratives goes up in flames.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#12 Post by Beebs52 » Sat May 11, 2019 8:42 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
flockofseagulls104 wrote: Not getting the coverage they gave David Hogg and that group of school shooting survivors. I wonder why?
I counted articles in the Washington Post, Denver Post, USA Today, Time, Rolling Stone, ABC News, and Slate, and that's just on the first two pages of my google search for "Colorado school shooting protest."

Actually, I think it's because the students wanted to have it be about the heros/victims rather than grandstanders. Not as exciting presswise.
Well, then

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#13 Post by Bob78164 » Sun May 12, 2019 2:44 am

Beebs52 wrote:Actually, I think it's because the students wanted to have it be about the heros/victims rather than grandstanders.
"Grandstanders"?

Shame on you. Those kids paid an awful price. They lived an experience no one would or should wish on them. They've earned the right to say pretty much anything they want on the subject of gun control. And not by any choice they ever made.

Even if you don't agree with the views of the Parkland survivors, I think you should show them the respect anyone who had to live through that horror has earned. And I'm glad they're doing everything they can to reduce the number of kids who will have to share that awful experience in the future. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Spock

#14 Post by Spock » Sun May 12, 2019 7:17 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:Actually, I think it's because the students wanted to have it be about the heros/victims rather than grandstanders.
"Grandstanders"?

Shame on you. Those kids paid an awful price. They lived an experience no one would or should wish on them. They've earned the right to say pretty much anything they want on the subject of gun control. And not by any choice they ever made.

Even if you don't agree with the views of the Parkland survivors, I think you should show them the respect anyone who had to live through that horror has earned. And I'm glad they're doing everything they can to reduce the number of kids who will have to share that awful experience in the future. --Bob
Actually, the best way to reduce school shootings was on display in the last 2 shootings-at Skoop's school and now in Colorado. Rush the shooter!!!

If that becomes part of the culture and only 1 or 2 or whatever go down, but the the damage is limited as others pile on, that will change the calculus of the whole thing in mass shooters' minds.

We saw what heroism and honor can do in those 2 shootings.

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#15 Post by Beebs52 » Sun May 12, 2019 8:26 am

Bob78164 wrote:
"Grandstanders"?

I apologize. I didn't know the political candidates and groups in attendance had gone through the shooting.
Well, then

Bob Juch

#16 Post by Bob Juch » Sun May 12, 2019 8:53 am

Spock wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
"Grandstanders"?

Actually, the best way to reduce school shootings was on display in the last 2 shootings-at Skoop's school and now in Colorado. Rush the shooter!!!

If that becomes part of the culture and only 1 or 2 or whatever go down, but the the damage is limited as others pile on, that will change the calculus of the whole thing in mass shooters' minds.

Would you want one of your kids the be one of the ones to "go down"?

silverscreenselect

#17 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun May 12, 2019 9:37 am

Spock wrote: Actually, the best way to reduce school shootings was on display in the last 2 shootings-at Skoop's school and now in Colorado. Rush the shooter!!!

Spoken by someone whose combat experience consists of chasing after the elusive kudu.

Spock

#18 Post by Spock » Sun May 12, 2019 10:57 am

Spock wrote: Actually, the best way to reduce school shootings was on display in the last 2 shootings-at Skoop's school and now in Colorado. Rush the shooter!!!

Spoken by someone whose combat experience consists of chasing after the elusive kudu.
Do you dispute that it is better that one goes down rather than 20? Especially, if the one is likely to go down anyway.

Remember, these shooters also have no combat experience (they are not supermen) and the distances (such as in a classroom) are very close. They would get very rattled if 6 guys rose up and charged them as seemed to be the case in the 2 recent shootings..

My tactical opinion that these shooters should be rushed is just as valid as yours that these kids should just hide and hope for the best. How much combat experience is that based on?

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#19 Post by Bob78164 » Sun May 12, 2019 11:22 am

Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
"Grandstanders"?

I apologize. I didn't know the political candidates and groups in attendance had gone through the shooting.
You were referring to local politicians attending a rally rather than joining the pile-on against the activism of the Parkland students? Then I was out of line and I apologize. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

jarnon

#20 Post by jarnon » Sun May 12, 2019 11:29 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:"Grandstanders"?

You were referring to local politicians attending a rally rather than joining the pile-on against the activism of the Parkland students? Then I was out of line and I apologize. --Bob
The actual Parkland students, for the most part, have been considerate to other young victims of violence, from a Houston school to Chicago streets, and haven't tried to impose their political views on them. I expect the same attitude from them towards the Colorado and UNCC survivors. Adult activists should learn from them.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#21 Post by Beebs52 » Sun May 12, 2019 11:39 am

jarnon wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Beebs52 wrote:
The actual Parkland students, for the most part, have been considerate to other young victims of violence, from a Houston school to Chicago streets, and haven't tried to impose their political views on them. I expect the same attitude from them towards the Colorado and UNCC survivors. Adult activists should learn from them.
Thank you. That is what I meant.
Well, then

silverscreenselect

#22 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun May 12, 2019 5:08 pm

Spock wrote: My tactical opinion that these shooters should be rushed is just as valid as yours that these kids should just hide and hope for the best.
Well, not surprisingly there are a fair amount of experts who disagree with General Spock.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/st ... e-n1003951

The point is that there are a large number of possible situations and that trying to persuade students that their best option is always to rush the shooter can just as often lead to a worse situation than a better one. A lot depends on the mindset of the shooters, how well armed they are, how much firearms training and preparation they've had, and other factors. That's not to mention the possiblity of a student mistakenly charging a would-be rescuer like a security guard or off-duty cop.

Rushing the shooter could lead to a relatively quick and bloodless end to a crisis, but it could also transform what could have been a survivable situation into a bloodbath.

One thing I would point out is that these situations almost always end up with the shooters dead or captured. That hasn't changed the calculus of their thinking so far.

flockofseagulls104

#23 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Sun May 12, 2019 6:29 pm

There is NO doubt that every one of the media outlets you mentioned IS biased towards the left. You don't see it because you don't want to.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

silverscreenselect

#24 Post by silverscreenselect » Sun May 12, 2019 6:51 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote: There is NO doubt that every one of the media outlets you mentioned IS biased towards the left. You don't see it because you don't want to.
Whether there is liberal bias is beside the point. You claimed they didn't give coverage to this story because of their liberal bias. It took about five seconds of effort on my part to prove you wrong, as usual, and as usual when you are proved wrong, you just launch into another irrelevant attack on me. You forgot to use the words "polly" and "batphone" this time, I guess because you were in too much of a hurry to come up with your usual non-witty witticisms.

BackInTex

#25 Post by BackInTex » Sun May 12, 2019 8:08 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote: There is NO doubt that every one of the media outlets you mentioned IS biased towards the left. You don't see it because you don't want to.
Whether there is liberal bias is beside the point. You claimed they didn't give coverage to this story because of their liberal bias. It took about five seconds of effort on my part to prove you wrong, as usual, and as usual when you are proved wrong, you just launch into another irrelevant attack on me. You forgot to use the words "polly" and "batphone" this time, I guess because you were in too much of a hurry to come up with your usual non-witty witticisms.
Yes, there may be A printed article in each of those publications you mention. But what we didn't get were the hours of televised coverage, recoverage, analysis, and finger pointing at legal gun owners who never shot anyone.
~~ Thomas Jefferson