Fun Weekend (and then there was one)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BackInTex

Fun Weekend (and then there was one)

#1 Post by BackInTex » Mon May 13, 2019 7:29 am

Child 3 graduated from Ole Miss on Saturday.

I flew my daughter, her husband, and my granddaughter in from Colorado while my wife, son, 2nd daughter and I drove to Oxford from Houston. It was a rainy wet nasty weekend. About 6 hours of our 10 hour drive from Houston was in heavy rain (i should have taken the northern route). But we all made it safely and enjoyed the weekend. The entire family (except daughter 2's husband who started his Veterinary clinical rotations last week) was there. It was a bonus that Sunday was Mother's day as my wife had all her kids and grandchild with her, at least for breakfast, before we all had to head back.

The most humorous thing this weekend was my granddaughter (9 months old) was playing with her aunt's I-watch while we were driving back from dinner on Friday night. All of a sudden my daughter goes, "Oh, it looks like Kayleigh called someone"...then we heard "9.1.1., what is your emergency?". Oops! After a brief conversation with the operator my daughter convinced him there was no emergency and that the call was an accident.

Only one child left in college (little BiT). He just finished his freshman year.

It is unbelievable how fast these past 4 years went. As we were driving into Oxford Thursday night it seemed only 2 years ago we moved my daughter into her dorm to begin her freshman year. :cry:

Just for SSS (as he and I do like bargains). I used frequent flier miles to purchase the plane tickets for my daughter and her husband. A couple of weeks ago his company scheduled him to work in Austin last week so they picked up the fare to fly him to Memphis (rather than back to Denver). I was able to get back the miles I had redeemed for his Denver to Memphis leg. So I only had to "pay" for 3 legs vs 4. Also, a friend whose daughter graduated from Ole Miss 4 years ago maintains the apartment she lived in for their occasional visits back to Oxford. He rented me her two bedroom / two bath apartment for the 3 nights for $180 total. Hotels in the area during graduation weekend go anywhere from $280/night for a single room at the Holiday Inn to $500+ for the nicer hotels (for a single room). My wife and daughter also were able to stay in the guest room at my graduating daughter's sorority house for free. What could have been the most expensive parts of the weekend (housing and airfare) were actually the cheapest.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

Re: Fun Weekend (and then there was one)

#2 Post by Beebs52 » Mon May 13, 2019 8:58 am

Congrats!
Well, then

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#3 Post by T_Bone0806 » Mon May 13, 2019 9:04 am

Congrats to Child 3 for the diploma and to the entire BiT family for a nice weekend, weather notwithstanding.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

tlynn78

#4 Post by tlynn78 » Mon May 13, 2019 9:08 am

Congratulations! Sounds like a terrific weekend!
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Vandal
Director of Promos

#5 Post by Vandal » Mon May 13, 2019 11:02 am

Sounds like a great weekend.

We got both boys through graduation, but can't seem to get them out of the house...
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#6 Post by Beebs52 » Mon May 13, 2019 11:12 am

Vandal wrote:Sounds like a great weekend.

We got both boys through graduation, but can't seem to get them out of the house...
It will happen. Bwahahaaaa
Well, then

silverscreenselect

#7 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon May 13, 2019 12:32 pm

BackInTex wrote:Just for SSS (as he and I do like bargains). I used frequent flier miles to purchase the plane tickets for my daughter and her husband. A couple of weeks ago his company scheduled him to work in Austin last week so they picked up the fare to fly him to Memphis (rather than back to Denver). I was able to get back the miles I had redeemed for his Denver to Memphis leg. So I only had to "pay" for 3 legs vs 4. Also, a friend whose daughter graduated from Ole Miss 4 years ago maintains the apartment she lived in for their occasional visits back to Oxford. He rented me her two bedroom / two bath apartment for the 3 nights for $180 total. Hotels in the area during graduation weekend go anywhere from $280/night for a single room at the Holiday Inn to $500+ for the nicer hotels (for a single room). My wife and daughter also were able to stay in the guest room at my graduating daughter's sorority house for free. What could have been the most expensive parts of the weekend (housing and airfare) were actually the cheapest.
Congratulations, and it's good to know that you're always on the lookout for bargains.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

jaybee

#8 Post by jaybee » Mon May 13, 2019 5:04 pm

Congratulations to the graduate and you. We know the feeling - our child #3 (and the last) walked across the stage at the University of Tennessee last Thursday.
Jaybee

BackInTex

#9 Post by BackInTex » Mon May 13, 2019 5:09 pm

jaybee wrote:Congratulations to the graduate and you. We know the feeling - our child #3 (and the last) walked across the stage at the University of Tennessee last Thursday.
Congrats to you and your new graduate.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#10 Post by BackInTex » Mon May 13, 2019 5:11 pm

Vandal wrote:Sounds like a great weekend.

My first two were girls and got married pretty quickly, so that works well to get them out of the house. This one will likely live with us a while. She does not yet have a job but will be looking (in July) once she gets back from her world travels (don't ask).
~~ Thomas Jefferson