RIP Millionaire...

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
ulysses1950

RIP Millionaire...

#1 Post by ulysses1950 » Fri May 17, 2019 4:55 pm

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: RIP Millionaire...

#2 Post by Bob78164 » Fri May 17, 2019 4:59 pm

"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#3 Post by Beebs52 » Fri May 17, 2019 5:04 pm

Someone will resurrect it. I'll make a 5 dollar bet.
Well, then

Ritterskoop

#4 Post by Ritterskoop » Fri May 17, 2019 6:29 pm

As a viewer, not to crap on anyone here who has been on since then, I would have been OK if they' stopped after Meredith Viara.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Ritterskoop

#5 Post by Ritterskoop » Fri May 17, 2019 6:30 pm

If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

MarleysGh0st

#6 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri May 17, 2019 7:26 pm

Now I'll never get my shot.

<grumble>®

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#7 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri May 17, 2019 7:47 pm

Dammit Vandal!

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

goongas

#8 Post by goongas » Fri May 17, 2019 8:14 pm

I won't get my shot either, although I had plenty of tries to impress the producers. The ratings were never that good compared to other game shows, it is a minor miracle it lasted as long as it did. It is another blow that ABC is resurrecting other game shows this summer and not honoring Millionaire's 20th anniversary. The prizes are just too high to justify bringing it back to primetime I guess.

flockofseagulls104

#9 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri May 17, 2019 8:41 pm

The only thing that ever made this show interesting was the phone game and the idea you could get on it without having to go someplace and impress somebody. Once they stopped that, that was it. Nothing different from any other mindless game show.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Vandal
Director of Promos

#10 Post by Vandal » Fri May 17, 2019 8:50 pm

littlebeast13 wrote:Dammit Vandal!

lb13

When will this nightmare end?
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

SpacemanSpiff

#11 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Fri May 17, 2019 10:07 pm

flockofseagulls104 wrote:The only thing that ever made this show interesting was the phone game and the idea you could get on it without having to go someplace and impress somebody. Once they stopped that, that was it. Nothing different from any other mindless game show.
^^ this. After the phone game went away, I tried once at a mass audition in Baltimore. Didn't try after that when I realized I wasn't their demographic.
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

hbomb1947

#12 Post by hbomb1947 » Sat May 18, 2019 2:05 am

This makes me sad, especially when I came so close to getting on at the twilight of the phone game era. Damn you O-Town! :twisted:

But the show certainly gave us some iconic moments (mostly in the prime-time version), and it's what made me passionate about trivia.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#13 Post by Bob78164 » Sat May 18, 2019 2:47 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote:The only thing that ever made this show interesting was the phone game and the idea you could get on it without having to go someplace and impress somebody. Once they stopped that, that was it. Nothing different from any other mindless game show.
There was the minor detail of the million-dollar top prize. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

hbomb1947

#14 Post by hbomb1947 » Sat May 18, 2019 2:55 am

Bob78164 wrote:
There was the minor detail of the million-dollar top prize. --Bob
And a million dollars meant a lot more 20 years ago than it does today. Giving away such large sums of money perfectly reflected the zeitgeist of the dot-com era during which WWTBAM debuted.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Sat May 18, 2019 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

ghostjmf

#15 Post by ghostjmf » Sat May 18, 2019 7:11 am

Oh crap.

ghostjmf

#16 Post by ghostjmf » Tue May 21, 2019 1:36 pm

I'm with Beebs on the "resurrect it!". Maybe some entity that wants good players, instead of "mostly photogenic" on.

goongas

#17 Post by goongas » Tue May 21, 2019 7:30 pm

I would say they had their share of "good players" this season, some former Jeopardy! players and other trivia fans.

SpacemanSpiff

#18 Post by SpacemanSpiff » Wed May 22, 2019 4:45 am

goongas wrote:I would say they had their share of "good players" this season, some former Jeopardy! players and other trivia fans.
Indeed. Tomorrow (Thursday 5/23) will have Anthony Fox, the four-time Jeopardy! champ that I beat on my appearance on the show.

Next week will be the last week of new shows.
"If you're dead, you don't have any freedoms at all." - Jason Isbell

DDP

#19 Post by DDP » Wed May 22, 2019 6:21 am

I was on the primetime version with Regis and despite multiple tries in Vegas (realizing too late that the morning and afternoon sessions used the same quizzes most days and a simple study session would have yielded much better results) never got back on. I interviewed after passing the test 3 times and got emails saying I was in the pool but nothing.

I'll always remember a guy that basically came and tested each day and would often pass it - I think he said something like 60 times - but bemoaned the face he never got picked for the show. The last time I was there he was as well and I did tell him that coming to the test/interview with untucked shirts, unshaven cheeks, messy hair and a waist around 54 probably wasn't helping matters. He also often smelled of stale cheetos.

In the end it was lots of fun trying and chatting with many of you here. I wish you all the best in the future.

Greg

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#20 Post by SportsFan68 » Wed May 22, 2019 11:37 am

DDP wrote:I was on the primetime version with Regis and despite multiple tries in Vegas (realizing too late that the morning and afternoon sessions used the same quizzes most days and a simple study session would have yielded much better results) never got back on. I interviewed after passing the test 3 times and got emails saying I was in the pool but nothing.

I'll always remember a guy that basically came and tested each day and would often pass it - I think he said something like 60 times - but bemoaned the face he never got picked for the show. The last time I was there he was as well and I did tell him that coming to the test/interview with untucked shirts, unshaven cheeks, messy hair and a waist around 54 probably wasn't helping matters. He also often smelled of stale cheetos.

In the end it was lots of fun trying and chatting with many of you here. I wish you all the best in the future.

Greg
Great to almost meet you, Greg. I was supposed to test/audition in Denver the day a snowstorm hit, and the crew's flight was canceled, so they moved it to the next day, two days after yours. That's the way I remember it anyway. It's been a while.

I have a lot of great Millionaire memories and thank everyone who had a part in it, especially the ones I met and almost met.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Tommynator

#21 Post by Tommynator » Thu May 23, 2019 10:30 am

goongas wrote:I would say they had their share of "good players" this season, some former Jeopardy! players and other trivia fans.
I can and will vouch for this as a proud S17 participant. Including me, with seven shows left in the season, there have been 24 winners of $50,000 and eight who've won $100,000. Four of the $50,000 winners tried the $250,000 question, but missed, knocking them back to $50,000.

I'd say that's pretty dang good, even if it's not the million.

ghostjmf

#22 Post by ghostjmf » Thu May 23, 2019 4:40 pm

Then I apologize to them.

But I've also seen far too many people who answered without even reading the question. Which is heartbreaking, considering the stakes.

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#23 Post by littlebeast13 » Thu May 23, 2019 7:05 pm

Tommynator wrote:[I can and will vouch for this as a proud S17 participant. Including me, with seven shows left in the season, there have been 24 winners of $50,000 and eight who've won $100,000. Four of the $50,000 winners tried the $250,000 question, but missed, knocking them back to $50,000.

I'd say that's pretty dang good, even if it's not the million.

I would love to see the reaction if this were posted on the Bored in 2000....

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

Tommynator

#24 Post by Tommynator » Fri May 24, 2019 4:26 pm

ghostjmf wrote:Then I apologize to them.

But I've also seen far too many people who answered without even reading the question. Which is heartbreaking, considering the stakes.
That's true, ghost. During my game, I nearly whiffed on the $5,000 question, When the first commercial break hit, producer Eric Waddell pulled me aside and gave me that reminder to read the question again. It clearly helped.

lilclyde54

#25 Post by lilclyde54 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:01 pm

Really sorry to see this. Even thought they never thought I was what they wanted in a contestant (despite passing all three audition tests I went to), this was the show that made me WANT to be a contestant. Without WWTBAM and this board I probably wouldn't have driven those three hours to give a WOF audition a whirl. That audition is what got me on a nationally televised game show so I owe a lot to the prime time BAM. I also would have never been to New York City had The Baboo not had that magic stuff that those 20 something staffers were looking for back in the day. All in all, I feel like prime time BAM was a big factor in The Baboo and I going from Coast to Coast courtesy of game shows. Thanks for the memories.
I felt the change

Time meant nothing and never would again