Holzhauer

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob78164
Bored Moderator

Re: Holzhauer

#26 Post by Bob78164 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:03 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Spoiler
There was a previous game where Holzhauer could have been beaten had the 2nd place player wagered the max on Final Jeopardy. Neither he or Holzhauer went all in. They both got it right, but had the other guy wagered more, he would have won.
Spoiler
If you're talking about Final, that's not correct, as you can confirm on j-archive. On the very few occasions where Holzhauer didn't have a lock game, he invariably made the lock-out wager. There was a recent game where Holzhauer might have been in trouble if one of his opponents had gone all in on a Daily Double. Perhaps that's what you're thinking of. --Bob
--Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

BackInTex

#27 Post by BackInTex » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:20 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
BackInTex wrote:
Spoiler
There was a previous game where Holzhauer could have been beaten had the 2nd place player wagered the max on Final Jeopardy. Neither he or Holzhauer went all in. They both got it right, but had the other guy wagered more, he would have won.
Spoiler
If you're talking about Final, that's not correct, as you can confirm on j-archive. On the very few occasions where Holzhauer didn't have a lock game, he invariably made the lock-out wager. There was a recent game where Holzhauer might have been in trouble if one of his opponents had gone all in on a Daily Double. Perhaps that's what you're thinking of. --Bob
--Bob
Spoiler
Perhaps. If there was a game where the final questions was a DD and the guy didn't wager enough to catch James. That might be what I'm thinking of. I'll have to see if I can find it.

Spoiler
I think I was thinking about Jame's game #26 where Nate was at $13,400 (while James was at $6,600) on a daily double and Nate only wagered $6,000. He got it correct, but could have wagered $7,000 more and then would have been ahead by the end of the game.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

jarnon

#28 Post by jarnon » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:38 pm

James Holzhauer wrote:Knew I shouldn’t have invited @Drake to the @Jeopardy taping.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

jarnon

#29 Post by jarnon » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:42 pm

Spoiler
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

Jeemie

#30 Post by Jeemie » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:17 pm

I learned a new thing today...there's an actual name (bestowed of course by those dudes over on the J! boards) for the predicament James was in Monday night- the Stratton Dilemma.

Learn something new every day.
1979 City of Champions 2009

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#31 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:32 pm

Jeemie wrote:I learned a new thing today...there's an actual name (bestowed of course by those dudes over on the J! boards) for the predicament James was in Monday night- the Stratton Dilemma.

Ted Stratton was the defending champ whom I beat when I appeared as a challenger. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#32 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:06 am

Holzhauer says he took a year off to prepare for J! :shock:
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Jeemie

#33 Post by Jeemie » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:36 am

Bob78164 wrote:
Jeemie wrote:I learned a new thing today...there's an actual name (bestowed of course by those dudes over on the J! boards) for the predicament James was in Monday night- the Stratton Dilemma.

Ted Stratton was the defending champ whom I beat when I appeared as a challenger. --Bob
I was trying to explain why James wagered what he did to folks that don't watch the show that much and so don't think of wagering strategies.

I went to some J! wagering sites to help me explain...that's how I found out this scenario had been discussed before.

I also enjoyed reading up on the discussion on what to do if you're in a lock tie situation...arguments over whether the leader should always bet $1 or when they should bet $0.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#34 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:10 am

Jeemie wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

I was trying to explain why James wagered what he did to folks that don't watch the show that much and so don't think of wagering strategies.

I went to some J! wagering sites to help me explain...that's how I found out this scenario had been discussed before.

I also enjoyed reading up on the discussion on what to do if you're in a lock tie situation...arguments over whether the leader should always bet $1 or when they should bet $0.
Does that discussion account for the relatively recent change in the rules? They no longer have co-champions. Now if a game ends in a tie for the lead, they use a tie-breaker question to determine the winner. --Bob

Jeemie

#35 Post by Jeemie » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:15 am

That discussion was entirely because of the rules changes.

In the past it would have been easy...the leader bets $0.

The consensus reached was that the smart play was to bet $1 and go for the win right there because unless you are an exceptional player, your odds of winning in FJ are usually higher than your odds of winning a tiebreaker question.

Was an interesting discussion.