Trump's D-Day Speech

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

Trump's D-Day Speech

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:16 am

This was a very good, moving speech for any President to have delivered on this occasion. Coming from Trump, it's little short of amazing. After all that had gone on England the last few days, I was expecting the worst, but he stayed on point, delivering praise where it was due, to the troops who fought, and leaving himself and all his feuds and squabbles out of it. When he did speak about current events, it was to mention in general terms the strong bonds the U.S. still has with its allies.

This is one of the few times that Trump has acted as a statesman and leader of the free world, as opposed to a petty huckster. I don't often give him credit, but it's due here.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Jeemie

Re: Trump's D-Day Speech

#2 Post by Jeemie » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:20 am

silverscreenselect wrote:This was a very good, moving speech for any President to have delivered on this occasion. Coming from Trump, it's little short of amazing. After all that had gone on England the last few days, I was expecting the worst, but he stayed on point, delivering praise where it was due, to the troops who fought, and leaving himself and all his feuds and squabbles out of it. When he did speak about current events, it was to mention in general terms the strong bonds the U.S. still has with its allies.

This is one of the few times that Trump has acted as a statesman and leader of the free world, as opposed to a petty huckster. I don't often give him credit, but it's due here.
This is a Big Deal Anniversary.

I'm sure they practiced the ever-living shit out of this one with him.
1979 City of Champions 2009

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#3 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:30 am

This gives me hope that perhaps this will carry through to his 4th of July address. Both are occasions where partisanship should be left behind and the spotlight focused on what makes this country great and unites us, and not a campaign speech or an opportunity for self-praise. I have a little more optimism now that it will be the former, not the latter.
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Jeemie

#4 Post by Jeemie » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:35 am

T_Bone0806 wrote:This gives me hope that perhaps this will carry through to his 4th of July address. Both are occasions where partisanship should be left behind and the spotlight focused on what makes this country great and unites us, and not a campaign speech or an opportunity for self-praise. I have a little more optimism now that it will be the former, not the latter.
Nah- that'll be a campaign speech.

This was much more of a big deal.

Even Trump knows you can't use D-Day for crass purposes.
1979 City of Champions 2009

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#5 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:43 am

Jeemie wrote:
T_Bone0806 wrote:This gives me hope that perhaps this will carry through to his 4th of July address. Both are occasions where partisanship should be left behind and the spotlight focused on what makes this country great and unites us, and not a campaign speech or an opportunity for self-praise. I have a little more optimism now that it will be the former, not the latter.

Call me a cockeyed optimist...
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

Bob Juch

#6 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:06 pm

T_Bone0806 wrote:
Jeemie wrote:

Call me a cockeyed optimist...
You're a cockeyed optimist.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob Juch

#7 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:38 pm

Of course, trump just had to make it political.
Trump insults Mueller and Pelosi at U.S. military cemetery in France

Just before his speech honoring military veterans at a ceremony commemorating the 75th anniversary of D-Day in Normandy, France, President Trump gave an interview marked by insults directed toward the speaker of the House and former special counsel Robert Mueller.

Speaking to Fox News’ Laura Ingraham, Trump called the former special counsel a “fool” and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi a “disaster.”

“Let me tell you, he made such a fool out of himself,” Trump said of Mueller, speaking at a cemetery where more than 9,300 American soldiers who died in World War II are buried.
More: https://news.yahoo.com/trump-blasts-pel ... 00421.html
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.