A “pretty smart guy” and “a successful gambler.”

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Bob Juch

A “pretty smart guy” and “a successful gambler.”

#1 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:40 am

No, trump wasn't talking about James Holtzhauer in an interview aired Wednesday morning on ITV’s “Good Morning Britain.” He was talking about Stephen Paddock, who killed 58 concertgoers and injured hundreds in Las Vegas in 2017. :evil:
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

franktangredi

Re: A “pretty smart guy” and “a successful gambler.”

#2 Post by franktangredi » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:07 am

He also called him "sick." In the same paragraph.

I read the article you linked on Facebook. Believe me, I am no fan of Trump's. But I am even less of a fan of people who take things out of context. In context, the "praise" you are quoting was not praise of the shooter at all.

Most of the rest of what Trump said is gibberish. But I am sick and tired of your dishonesty. Especially since we are largely on the same side.

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:29 am

franktangredi wrote:He also called him "sick." In the same paragraph.

I read the article you linked on Facebook. Believe me, I am no fan of Trump's. But I am even less of a fan of people who take things out of context. In context, the "praise" you are quoting was not praise of the shooter at all.

Most of the rest of what Trump said is gibberish. But I am sick and tired of your dishonesty. Especially since we are largely on the same side.
Here's the full quote. trump expressed admiration for the guy: “He was a sick guy. If it wasn’t guns, it would be bombs or something else. He was actually a pretty smart guy. He was a good, successful gambler and there’s no such thing as a successful gambler and what he went out and did is incredible.”
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

franktangredi

#4 Post by franktangredi » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:37 am

Bob Juch wrote:

Here's the full quote. trump expressed admiration for the guy: “He was a sick guy. If it wasn’t guns, it would be bombs or something else. He was actually a pretty smart guy. He was a good, successful gambler and there’s no such thing as a successful gambler and what he went out and did is incredible.”
If you can't see it, I don't know what to say.

Jeemie

#5 Post by Jeemie » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:39 am

Bob Juch wrote:

Actually it was just Trump's normal word salad.

I wouldn't call it admiration for the guy...just Trump doing what he does.

Trump becomes much easier to tolerate when one understands he does not speak to convey information.

That's why it's a category error to say he lies.
1979 City of Champions 2009

silverscreenselect

Re: A “pretty smart guy” “a successful gambler.”

#6 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:27 am

Jeemie wrote:Trump becomes much easier to tolerate when one understands he does not speak to convey information.

That's why it's a category error to say he lies.
Unfortunately, Trump is not some blogger or political commentator shooting his mouth off. He is the President of the United States and the White House has confirmed that his tweets are official pronouncements of the President. That means that when he tweets, the full force of the Presidency of the United States stands behind that tweet. Admittedly, his frequent nonsense spouting has diminished the stature of the Office of the President considerably, but it does mean more than if Sean Hannity or Tucker Carlson says something.

People do take him seriously for precisely that reason. And that's why you can't just let things slide and say "that's Trump being Trump." Other nations take him seriously, especially those who have paid the price for other world leaders making similar statements in the past. His followers take him seriously. The press is more or less obligated to report on what he says, and they can't just let it pass without some effort at verifcation.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Ritterskoop

#7 Post by Ritterskoop » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:29 am

I am going to be using the phrase "word salad" more frequently; thanks for that!
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Jeemie

#8 Post by Jeemie » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:09 am

You can feel free to be outaged at every little thing he says or does, SSS.

I prefer to save my outrage for the things that really matter.

This interview was not one of them.

silverscreenselect

#9 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:23 am

Jeemie wrote:You can feel free to be outaged at every little thing he says or does, SSS.

I didn't start the thread, and I'll agree that this was garbled as a lot of Trump's responses are. But, since the subject came up, it's worth noting that Trump is already a hero among a lot of white nationalists and domestic terrorists. The last thing we need is a statement like "what he went out and did is incredible” to serve as inspiration and affirmation for the next guy.

T_Bone0806
FNGD Forum Moderator

#10 Post by T_Bone0806 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:57 am

Eloquence and careful consideration before speaking are not in his playbook. He is, verbally, a bull in a china shop. Jumping all over this poor choice of words only adds fuel to the "everyone's out to get me" fire and allows him to continue to play the martyr with the faithful and add more to the numbers who will vote for him because, as ridiculous as it sounds, they feel badly for him. Concentrate on the important stuff, or get set for another 4 years of "the greatest President since Lincoln".
"#$%&@*&"-Donald F. Duck

flockofseagulls104

#11 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:27 am

silverscreenselect wrote:
Jeemie wrote:You can feel free to be outaged at every little thing he says or does, SSS.

I didn't start the thread, and I'll agree that this was garbled as a lot of Trump's responses are. But, since the subject came up, it's worth noting that Trump is already a hero among a lot of white nationalists and domestic terrorists that live under my bed. The last thing we need is a statement like "what he went out and did is incredible” to serve as inspiration and affirmation for the next guy.
Fixed it for you.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#12 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:35 am

This.

Seriously, Bob, how do you spend an entire career in IT without understanding the concept of mindshare? Most people are only willing or able to devote a limited amount of bandwidth to thinking about politics. Why would you ask people to waste that precious bandwidth on crap like this? --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#13 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:57 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote: Fixed it for you.
It's not surprising you don't want to consider domestic terrorism a problem or one that Trump is contributing to. The facts contradict you, as they usually do.

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/03/ ... emism.html

https://theintercept.com/2019/03/30/dom ... ald-trump/

Bob Juch

#14 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:04 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Jeemie wrote:You can feel free to be outraged at every little thing he says or does, SSS.

This.

Seriously, Bob, how do you spend an entire career in IT without understanding the concept of mindshare? Most people are only willing or able to devote a limited amount of bandwidth to thinking about politics. Why would you ask people to waste that precious bandwidth on crap like this? --Bob
Right now I have the time; if you don't, skip my posts.

I happen to think trump's statement shows how he thinks. It shows he actually admires the guy. Look at his admiration of Putin and Kim Jong-un who also have killed hundreds. I actually think it shows he's a psychopath who wishes he could be like them.

tlynn78

#15 Post by tlynn78 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:01 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:
Jeemie wrote:You can feel free to be outraged at every little thing he says or does, SSS.

This.

I happen to think trump's statement shows how he thinks. It shows he actually admires the guy. Look at his admiration of Putin and Kim Jong-un who also have killed hundreds. I actually think it shows he's a psychopath who wishes he could be like them.
Get help.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire

Jeemie

#16 Post by Jeemie » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:17 pm

It's too late for Bob Juch.

That intervention should have happened long ago.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#17 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:27 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:

This.

You're missing my point. You're contributing noise when the rest of us are trying to boost signal. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Bob Juch

#18 Post by Bob Juch » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:31 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:
Bob78164 wrote:This.

You're missing my point. You're contributing noise when the rest of us are trying to boost signal. --Bob
One man's noise is another's symphony.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#19 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:36 pm

Jeemie wrote:It's too late for Bob Juch.
I guess you're right. --Bob

BackInTex

#20 Post by BackInTex » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:54 pm

One of the best threads this year.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Jeemie

#21 Post by Jeemie » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:59 pm

This reminded me of the kerfluffle when everyone thought they'd caught him in the dastardly deed of lying about calling Meghan Markle "nasty".

I was more pissed at the news media wasting TWO NIGHTS of coverage on it.

We'll never get rid of this guy if we focus on each and every thing he says.

That'll just make people think WE'RE nuts, not him.

BackInTex

#22 Post by BackInTex » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:52 pm

Jeemie wrote: That'll just make people think WE'RE nuts, not him.
Too late, for most of you.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#23 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:31 pm

Jeemie wrote:This reminded me of the kerfluffle when everyone thought they'd caught him in the dastardly deed of lying about calling Meghan Markle "nasty".

I was more pissed at the news media wasting TWO NIGHTS of coverage on it.

We'll never get rid of this guy if we focus on each and every thing he says.

That'll just make people think WE'RE nuts, not him.
Rachel Maddow has had it exactly right all along. Ignore what Donny says. Watch what he does. --Bob

Jeemie

#24 Post by Jeemie » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:53 pm

BackInTex wrote:
Jeemie wrote: That'll just make people think WE'RE nuts, not him.
Too late, for most of you.
To be fair...I was already nuts before Trump ever arrived on the scene...

Estonut
Evil Genius

#25 Post by Estonut » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:20 pm

franktangredi wrote:
Bob Juch wrote:

If you can't see it, I don't know what to say.
I suspect BJ's too dumb to know the primary definition of "incredible!" Or he doesn't know what "admiration" means...
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx