Fire Up the Toaster - 2020 Political Edition

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

Fire Up the Toaster - 2020 Political Edition

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:15 pm

I actually found an earlier dropout, former WV State Senator Richard Ojeda, who entered the Democratic presidential race in November and dropped out in January:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/richard-o ... ut-of-race

Eric Swalwell becomes the second dropout.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Ritterskoop

Re: Fire Up the Toaster - 2020 Political Edition

#2 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:20 pm

I know it shouldn't have affected his chances, and probably didn't, but Swalwell's name is too hard to pronounce.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Bob Juch

#3 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:50 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:I know it shouldn't have affected his chances, and probably didn't, but Swalwell's name is too hard to pronounce.
That's why I've never run for office.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Estonut
Evil Genius

#4 Post by Estonut » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:37 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:I know it shouldn't have affected his chances, and probably didn't, but Swalwell's name is too hard to pronounce.
Spoiler

So I guess Pete Buttigieg is out for the same reason?
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Vandal
Director of Promos

#5 Post by Vandal » Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:10 pm

He went big. He was bold. But...

_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#6 Post by SportsFan68 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:30 pm

I wish Gov. Hickenlooper would drop out of the Presidential race but not run for Senate.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

silverscreenselect

#7 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:00 pm

Mike Gravel, former Senator from Alaska and oldest candidate (at 89) has dropped out of the Democratic Presidential race and endorsed Bernie Sanders (Gravel actually had over 65,000 donors to his campaign).

https://www.vox.com/2019/8/6/20703747/m ... ent-anyway

jarnon

#8 Post by jarnon » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:15 am

John Hickenlooper to end presidential campaign Thursday, sources say

We'll see if he changes his mind about a Senate run. Meanwhile Klobuchar and Buttigieg are still challenging to spell.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

silverscreenselect

#9 Post by silverscreenselect » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:59 pm

kroxquo

#10 Post by kroxquo » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:56 am

jarnon wrote:John Hickenlooper to end presidential campaign Thursday, sources say

We'll see if he changes his mind about a Senate run. Meanwhile Klobuchar and Buttigieg are still challenging to spell.
Its official. https://www.politico.com/story/2019/08/ ... 20-1471649
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#11 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:09 am

kroxquo wrote:
jarnon wrote:John Hickenlooper to end presidential campaign Thursday, sources say

Its official. https://www.politico.com/story/2019/08/ ... 20-1471649
Can't say I'm surprised. I wouldn't be surprised to see others drop out if they don't come close to making the debate stage. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Ritterskoop

#12 Post by Ritterskoop » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:52 pm

Ten have qualified, with four more partially qualified with six days to go (the deadline to qualify is Aug. 28).

Biden
Booker
Buttigieg
Castro
Harris
Klobuchar
O'Rourke
Sanders
Warren
Yang

I'm cool if that's where it lands, because we can fit everyone on the stage for one debate.

The remaining four have met the donor requirement but not the 2%-in-four-major-polls requirement:

Gabbard
Inslee - dropped out
Steyer
Williamson
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#13 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:54 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:Ten have qualified, with four more partially qualified with six days to go (the deadline to qualify is Aug. 28).

Biden
Booker
Buttigieg
Castro
Harris
Klobuchar
O'Rourke
Sanders
Warren
Yang

I'm cool if that's where it lands, because we can fit everyone on the stage for one debate.

The remaining four have met the donor requirement but not the 2%-in-four-major-polls requirement:

Gabbard
Inslee - dropped out
Steyer
Williamson
I understand that Steyer is one poll away and he's pumping a bunch of money into advertising in the early states. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

Ritterskoop

#14 Post by Ritterskoop » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:57 pm

Seems like Steyer's money would be better spent if he chose one of the others, and put his money behind them. Or waited to back the eventual candidate.
--------

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#15 Post by Bob78164 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:08 pm

Ritterskoop wrote:Seems like Steyer's money would be better spent if he chose one of the others, and put his money behind them. Or waited to back the eventual candidate.
His spending for another candidate would have to be independent of the candidate's organization. He is limited to a $2800 contribution to a candidate before the Convention, and another $2800 contribution after the Convention. But he can spend as much of his own money as he wants pushing his own candidacy. --Bob

kroxquo

#16 Post by kroxquo » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:47 am

Looks like Kirsten Gillibrand - my personal favorite - is not going to make it.
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

silverscreenselect

#17 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:55 am

Democrat Seth Moulton drops out of the 2020 White House race

Looks like several Democrats are seeing the handwriting on the wall. It's tough to watch debates from the sidelines.

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#18 Post by SportsFan68 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:08 pm

SportsFan68 wrote:I wish Gov. Hickenlooper would drop out of the Presidential race but not run for Senate.
Well, he didn't listen to me.

And he's still not listening. Every time he sends me a fundraising E-mail, I E-mail him back and tell him to get out of the way of the 11 candidates, some of them extremely well qualified, who WANT THE JOB. Unlike himself, who has waffled stuff like, ... well, I'm really not a legislative guy ... it doesn't suit me ...

Lead, follow, or get outta the way. Come on, Hick, get outta the way.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#19 Post by Bob78164 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:51 pm

Senator Kirsten Gillibrand is out in the wake of her failure to qualify for the September debate. --Bob

jarnon

#20 Post by jarnon » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:12 am

Donald J. Trump wrote:A sad day for the Democrats, Kirsten Gillibrand has dropped out of the Presidential Primary. I’m glad they never found out that she was the one I was really afraid of!
Oh damn, I guess that means four more years of Trump. This tweet was posted on his Twitter account, but he may have had help because he spelled Kirsten and Gillibrand correctly.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

silverscreenselect

#21 Post by silverscreenselect » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:48 am

Former Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz says he will not run for president in 2020

Technically not toasted since he never officially announced he would run as a third party candidate, but this pretty much seals the non-deal.

flockofseagulls104

#22 Post by flockofseagulls104 » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:13 am

I am officially announcing that I am dropping out of the race for the democrat nomination for President. Among the reasons for this decision are that I did not qualify to participate in the upcoming debate, and that there are candidates whom I can support who are sillier, stupider and more disgustingly hateful and short-sighted than I am. Those were the qualities I was basing my campaign on. I will support the nominee that the party eventually selects.
Your friendly neighborhood racist. On the waiting list to be a nazi. Designated an honorary 'snowflake'. Trolled by the very best, as well as by BJ. Always typical, unlike others.., Fulminator, Hopelessly in the tank for trump... inappropriate... Flocking himself... Probably a tucking sexist, too... All thought comes from the right wing noise machine(TM)... A clear and present threat to The Future Of Our Democracy.. Doesn't understand anything... Made the trump apologist and enabler playoffs... Heathen bastard... Knows nothing about history... Liar.... don't know much about statistics and polling... Nothing at all about biology... Ignorant Bigot... Potential Future Pariah... Big Nerd... Spiraling, Anti-Trans Bigot.. A Lunatic AND a Bigot.. Very Ignorant of the World in General... Sounds deranged... Fake Christian... Weird... has the mind of a child... has paranoid delusions... Simpleton

Bob Juch

#23 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:13 am

flockofseagulls104 wrote:I am officially announcing that I am dropping out of the race for the democrat nomination for President. Among the reasons for this decision are that I did not qualify to participate in the upcoming debate, and that there are candidates whom I can support who are sillier, stupider and more disgustingly hateful and short-sighted than I am. Those were the qualities I was basing my campaign on. I will support the nominee that the party eventually selects.
Vote Blue, no matter who!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#24 Post by Vandal » Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:05 am

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio ends presidential campaign

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 011844001/
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

silverscreenselect

#25 Post by silverscreenselect » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:48 am

Ohio Congressman Tim Ryan has ended his campaign for the 2020 Democratic Presidential nomination. We've had a long dry spell since the last dropout, so maybe this will help persuade some of the others who won't be in any more of the debates to exit the campaign.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/10/24/politics ... index.html