150 Greatest College Football Games of All Time

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
silverscreenselect

150 Greatest College Football Games of All Time

#1 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:29 pm

As part of its yearlong celebration of 150 years of college football, ESPN has selected the 150 greatest college football games of all time. ESPN's stats group selected 202 games initially, which were narrowed down by a panel of 150 media members, athletic administrators and former players. Older games were well represented, including Georgia Tech's Rose Bowl win over Cal in 1928 (the wrong way Riegels run) at #89 (but not the 222-0 game). The top two teams on the list were Notre Dame with 23 games and Alabama with 22.

The top 10:

1. Nebraska-Oklahoma 1971
2. Miami-Nebraska 1984 Orange Bowl
3. Appalachian State-Michigan 2007
4. Boston College-Miami 1984 (the original Hail Mary)
5. Penn State-Miami 1987 Fiesta Bowl
6. Notre Dame-Miami 1988
7. Texas-Southern Cal 2006 Rose Bowl
8. Penn State-Georgia 1983 Sugar Bowl
9. LSU-Mississippi 1959
10. Notre Dame-Alabama 1973 Sugar Bowl

At 11 was the Harvard-Yale 1968 tie.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ar-history
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Vandal
Director of Promos

Re: 150 Greatest College Football Games of All Time

#2 Post by Vandal » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:53 pm

2009 Humanitarian Bowl, Idaho over Bowling Green 43–42
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

BackInTex

#3 Post by BackInTex » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:51 pm

The list is flawed. Missing from the list is....

2018: #22 Texas A&M 74, # 7 LSU 72 (7OT)

There is no discussion on this. At least 10 of the games listed were yawners compared to this game.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#4 Post by silvercamaro » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:27 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:As part of its yearlong celebration of 150 years of college football, ESPN has selected the 150 greatest college football games of all time. ESPN's stats group selected 202 games initially, which were narrowed down by a panel of 150 media members, athletic administrators and former players. Older games were well represented, including Georgia Tech's Rose Bowl win over Cal in 1928 (the wrong way Riegels run) at #89 (but not the 222-0 game). The top two teams on the list were Notre Dame with 23 games and Alabama with 22.

The top 10:

6. Notre Dame-Miami 1988
9. LSU-Mississippi 1959

I was in Oklahoma Memorial Stadium (as it then was known) for #1. That game deserves the top ranking! One poor man in the stands had a massive heart attack and died almost instantly as Johnny Rodgers began his incredible, damnable run for the winning touchdown for Nebraska. If the guy was an Oklahoma fan (and I think he was), he died more happily for not knowing the final outcome.

Happy Thanksgiving, Sooner fans. Not.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

jarnon

#5 Post by jarnon » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:35 pm

silvercamaro wrote:I was in Oklahoma Memorial Stadium (as it then was known) for #1. That game deserves the top ranking! One poor man in the stands had a massive heart attack and died almost instantly as Johnny Rodgers began his incredible, damnable run for the winning touchdown for Nebraska. If the guy was an Oklahoma fan (and I think he was), he died more happily for not knowing the final outcome.

At least the Sooner Schooner didn't tip over.
Слава Україні!
עם ישראל חי

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#6 Post by silvercamaro » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:48 pm

jarnon wrote:
At least the Sooner Schooner didn't tip over.[/quote]

A new Sooner Schooner is under construction. I was just glad that the ponies (okay, and the people, too) were not injured. I hope you noticed how well trained those beautiful little horses are. Even with the Schooner on its side and no one holding the reins, the ponies followed their normal path and ran side by side through their usual exit from the field.
Now generating the White Hot Glare of Righteousness on behalf of BBs everywhere.

Appa23

#7 Post by Appa23 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:52 pm

Some of these games likely lose a bit of luster and have different outcomes today. For example, in #2, under current rules, Nebraska kicks the extra point, the game goes to OT, and Nebraska wins the second of Osborne's 5 national titles (see below).

In the 1982 PSU-NU game, video review shows that the receiver was 2 feet out-of-bounds when he caught the ball, and Nebraska goes on to win Osborne's first national title.

Luckily, I do not think that replay would looked at the Rodgers' punt return in 1971. :D (I have no recollection of the game, but I have seen replays of the game. Johnny the Jet Rodgers put the Nebraska fans "in the aisles" and tore 'em loose from their shoes. I had a chance to get to know Jerry Tagge (the Huskers' QB) in recent years.)

Appa23

#8 Post by Appa23 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:55 pm

silvercamaro wrote:
silverscreenselect wrote:As part of its yearlong celebration of 150 years of college football, ESPN has selected the 150 greatest college football games of all time. ESPN's stats group selected 202 games initially, which were narrowed down by a panel of 150 media members, athletic administrators and former players. Older games were well represented, including Georgia Tech's Rose Bowl win over Cal in 1928 (the wrong way Riegels run) at #89 (but not the 222-0 game). The top two teams on the list were Notre Dame with 23 games and Alabama with 22.

The top 10:

6. Notre Dame-Miami 1988
9. LSU-Mississippi 1959

I was in Oklahoma Memorial Stadium (as it then was known) for #1. That game deserves the top ranking! One poor man in the stands had a massive heart attack and died almost instantly as Johnny Rodgers began his incredible, damnable run for the winning touchdown for Nebraska. If the guy was an Oklahoma fan (and I think he was), he died more happily for not knowing the final outcome.

The urban legend around here is that no one went to the bathroom the entire 1st half, and then everyone did at halftime, causing a historic surge in water use in Omaha.

silverscreenselect

#9 Post by silverscreenselect » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:15 pm

Appa23 wrote:Some of these games likely lose a bit of luster and have different outcomes today.
Funny you should mention that:
87. No. 12 Colorado 33, at Missouri 31
This is the 1990 game that Colorado scored on fifth down to beat Missouri. With today's replays that probably doesn't happen, Missouri wins the game and Colorado doesn't get to share a national championship with Georgia Tech.

And, lest we forget, this game from the same season didn't make the top 150 but will live forever in Nebraska lore:

Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

kroxquo

#10 Post by kroxquo » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:34 am

The Stanford Marching Band on the field game is not in the top 10?
You live and learn. Or at least you live. - Douglas Adams

earendel

#11 Post by earendel » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:58 am

silvercamaro wrote:I was in Oklahoma Memorial Stadium (as it then was known) for #1. That game deserves the top ranking! One poor man in the stands had a massive heart attack and died almost instantly as Johnny Rodgers began his incredible, damnable run for the winning touchdown for Nebraska. If the guy was an Oklahoma fan (and I think he was), he died more happily for not knowing the final outcome.
Actually, according to the article, Rodgers's TD run was not the winning score. It occurred after OU's first possession. It was Jeff Kinney's run with 1:38 to play that was the difference.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

silvercamaro
Dog's Best Friend

#12 Post by silvercamaro » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:33 am

earendel wrote:
Actually, according to the article, Rodgers's TD run was not the winning score. It occurred after OU's first possession. It was Jeff Kinney's run with 1:38 to play that was the difference.
After nearly 48 years, my memory may be just a wee bit off kilter. Sorry about that. Would you believe me if I told you I was only five months old at the time?

Bob Juch

#13 Post by Bob Juch » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:11 pm

kroxquo wrote:The Stanford Marching Band on the field game is not in the top 10?
My scoutmaster and family friend took that photo.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

christie1111
11:11

#14 Post by christie1111 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:59 am

Appa23 wrote:
In the 1982 PSU-NU game, video review shows that the receiver was 2 feet out-of-bounds when he caught the ball, and Nebraska goes on to win Osborne's first national title.
I was at Penn State then. A nicer bunch of opposing fans you would be hard to find. Even though everyone thought he was out of bounds that is not the way the call went. And they were still saying good game as they passed us.

I do not believe I have seen that much red at Beaver Stadium. We saw some many HUGE RVs, it was amazing. They drove all that way? I was impressed by the fans for sure.
"A bed without a quilt is like the sky without stars"