Well, This is becoming a bad habit

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Spock

Well, This is becoming a bad habit

#1 Post by Spock » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:21 pm

You might remember that I got stuck in grain last summer to much ado from first responders and firemen and such.

This was maybe worse.

I run my cowherd for most of the summer and fall on the south pasture. This is located across the road from the home pasture. It usually is no big deal to move them across-we set up a view blocking vehicles and since the cows know the way they are usually more ready to move than we are. However, the calves can be a little spooky sometimes but since we move them across in late summer and back they usually know the trick by now.

We always bring them home the week before deer hunting. It just works better that way. I have run the cows there since 1994 and I ran across something that this abnormally wet fall caused.

There is a bottleneck on the way home that tends to be a little muddy but it has never caused any problems before.

As we were chasing the cattle, the cows went but the calves seemed to be holding back. When we got to the bottleneck I saw why. It was a disaster. There were 4 calves stuck in the mud and I went in to try and rescue the worst one. The others got out by themselves. But I couldn't save this one and it drowned in the mud.

Meanwhile, I got stuck up to my waste in the mud while I was trying to save the calf. Li'l Spock went off to gather help and try to figure out what to do.

He was gone a long time and that was when I got nervous. Several calves were on the back side of the bottleneck and some anxious momma cows were on the other. I was worried that the whole herd would come back through the mudhole and trample me in the mud. I was about 2 feet behind the the drowned calf so a ladder was brought back and was placed on solid ground and the calf but it was too far for me too get much leverage.

Then a longer ladder was used to straddle the mudhole and with great effort I was able to get out. Dad was worried that I would have a heart attack. I got out carrying about 40 pounds of mud. I was so cold when I took those wet clothes off.

Thankfully, my dad, the kids and a friend did a quick bypass of the bottleneck and got the cattle moved by the time I got back.

Project for early next summer is to re-engineer the bottleneck area.

Estonut
Evil Genius

Re: Well, This is becoming a bad habit

#2 Post by Estonut » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:54 am

Spock wrote:Meanwhile, I got stuck up to my waste in the mud...
Ewww. You must have been stuck there for a while! :)
A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#3 Post by Beebs52 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:00 am

Yipes!!!!!!
Well, then

BackInTex

#4 Post by BackInTex » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:25 am

I just finished reading this book on the plane yesterday, 7 Insights into Safety Leadership. Perhaps I should let you borrow my copy, or better yet, let Mrs. Spock read it.

All 7 insights are important, but it seems you need to focus on the following 2:

#2. Safety leadership starts with attention to Serious injuries and fatalities (SIFs).
#7. Cognitive bias affects safety decisions.

Glad you're O.K., but dang!
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

tlynn78

#5 Post by tlynn78 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:21 am

Scary! Glad you're safe.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. -Thomas Paine
You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. -Ayn Rand
Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities. -Voltaire