Practice for the Jeopardy On-Line Test

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
DadofTwins

Practice for the Jeopardy On-Line Test

#1 Post by DadofTwins » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:30 pm

If anybody here is interested in getting a practice run in before the J! test this week, I've put something together.

On the real thing, you have 15 seconds to type in your answer each item, and you can't go back and change one once it has passed.

Answers will be spoiler tagged in a separate post.

Hope this helps. Good luck to all.
We have enough youth. How about a fountain of smart?

DadofTwins

The Clues

#2 Post by DadofTwins » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:31 pm

1. COLORFUL PHRASES – This phrase can refer to someone who smuggles refugees across a border or a reddish flower that closes in cloudy weather.

2. TV ACTRESSES – Gillian Anderson is the only actress to win an Emmy for Best Actress in a Drama Series whose show aired on this network.

3. VINCENT VAN GOGH – This 1885 painting, one of Van Gogh’s earliest, depicts a family of French peasants sitting down to their evening meal.

4. SILENT “P” – The willow variety of this grouse is the state bird of Alaska.

5. DRAMA – This Mississippi city, home to Keesler Air Force Base, was the setting for the second play in Neil Simon’s autobiographical trilogy.

6. STATE CAPITALS – America’s northernmost and southernmost state capitals were both admitted to the union in this year.

7. CHEMICAL COMPOUNDS – Pure, anhydrous forms of this substance – chemical formula H-2-O-2 – will explode at a temperature just over 300 degrees Fahrenheit

8. EUROPEAN COLLEGES & UNIVERSITIES – Originally called the Community of Needy Theology Students, this Paris college founded in 1257 came to be known for its founder.

9. VOCABULARY – Oil slicks, fish scales, or soap bubbles might display this rainbow-like play of color that changes with the angle of view.

10. CATS – The O gene, located on a cat’s X chromosome, determines whether a cat will have black or this color fur.

11. GREEK MYTHOLOGY – The Aegean Sea is named for Aegeus, the father of this Athenian prince who slew the Minotaur and rescued his countrymen from the Labyrinth.

12. ROMAN POETRY – This poet whose name comes from the Latin word for “egg” believed he was banished from Rome for publishing Ars Amatoria.

13. HISTORIC WOMEN – This country’s president Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf, Africa’s first democratically-elected female head of state, was inaugurated in Monrovia in January, 2006.

14. PRESIDENTS – Though he won re-election in a landslide, this president’s second term only lasted 45 days.

15. BAROQUE MUSIC – This collection of exercises, composed by J. S. Bach to teach his sons, was published in two volumes twenty years apart.

16. NEWSPAPERS – This city’s Star-Tribune is the largest newspaper serving a city on the Mississippi River.

17. LEGENDARY EPONYMS – This word for a trusted teacher comes from the name of the tutor Odysseus commissioned to educate his son Telemachus.

18. ANCIENT ASIAN HISTORY – The Mahavamsa, or Great Chronicle, tells the story of the first Sinhalese ruler of this island.

19. BROADWAY – Irving Berlin wrote “There’s No Business Like Show Business” for this character based on a cast member in Buffalo Bill’s Wild West Show.

20. GLOBAL CLIMATE – This weather phenomenon that usually occurs around Christmas causes warmer-than-average ocean conditions around Ecuador and Peru every two to five years.

21. GLOBAL SPORTS – Australia has won the last three World Cup titles in this sport, in which a ball batted out of the field of play on the fly is worth six runs.

22. BREAD”Z” – From the German for “twice baked,” this sweetened bread is baked, sliced, and toasted until crisp.

23. BROADWAY – Steven Sondheim’s musical “Sunday in the Park with George” is based on a work by this French pointillist.

24. I KNOW THE KINGS OF ENGLAND – Six English kings have had this name; the first four reigned consecutively between 1714 and 1830.

25. CANADIAN CITIES – This city, host of the 2010 Winter Olympics, is on an island separated from the mainland’s west coast by the Strait of Georgia.

26. 20TH CENTURY FICTION – Alec Guinness played “beggar man” George Smiley in the film adaptation of this John le Carre novel.

27. CROSSWORD CLUES “J” – Danger (!) (8 letters)

28. THE U. S. CONSTITUTION – When a Presidential election is decided by this body, each state gets one vote.

29. THE BIBLE – Named for Moses’ successor, this is the first book of the Bible named for a person.

30. STEVEN SPIELBERG MOVIES – Matt Damon played the title character Tom Hanks and his men are trying to rescue in this 1998 movie.

31. COLLEGE FOOTBALL – The first college football bowl game was played between Stanford and Michigan on January 1, 1902 in this California city.

32. ASTRONOMY – In 2004, the Cassini spacecraft joined 46 moons in orbit around this planet.

33. 1957 – On October 4, the Soviet Union launched Sputnik, while in the United States this sitcom featuring brothers named Wallace and Theodore first aired.

34. AMERICAN LITERATURE – This Poe title item was stolen from the queen’s chamber by a minister known only as “D.”

35. ASIAN RIVERS – During monsoon season, the flow of this Southeast Asian river reverses, increasing the depth of Cambodia’s Tonle Sap by up to 25 feet.

36. MUSIC OF THE 90’S – “You Oughta Know” this Canadian former child TV star, who released her third album, “Jagged Little Pill,” in 1995.

37. CLASSIC MOVIES – This John Ford film about a Welsh mining community beat out Citizen Kane for the Best Picture Oscar for 1941.

38. MOUNTAINS – Th-th-th-th-th-th-this mountain, from the French for “White Mountain,” is the highest peak in the Alps.

39. DR. SEUSS CHARACTERS – He “hated Christmas, the whole Christmas season. Please don’t ask why. No one quite knows the reason.”

40. WORLD WAR I – Kemal Ataturk played a crucial role in repelling the 1915 allied invasion of this peninsula near Istanbul.

41. BEFORE & AFTER – An opening in the Berlin Wall accessible only to those carrying one of Roald Dahl’s golden tickets.

42. THE HUMAN BODY – Also a term for a large waterfall, this vision problem occurs when a lens becomes clouded.

43. COMPOSERS – His 1899 tone poem Finlandia was banned by Russian authorities because it aroused too many nationalistic sympathies.

44. THE U. S. NAVY – Also a computer brand, this rank just above captain was abolished in the late 1980’s; officers in that rank are now officially called “Real Admiral Lower Half.”

45. SHAKESPEAREAN COMMON BONDS – Banquo, Julius Caesar, Hamlet’s father

46. TV THEMES – Songs by this British band play under the opening title sequence of all three CSI series.

47. POTENT POTABLES – This cocktail, named for a Southeast Asian city-state, is made with gin, cherry brandy, and Benedictine.

48. THREE-LETTER WORDS – Merriam-Webster’s 35th of 42 definitions of this word is “the quantity of work turned out in a continuous operation, as of a press.”

49. COLONIAL AMERICA – The Battle of the Great Meadows, in which the French captured this fort built and commanded by George Washington, marked the first major American engagement in the French and Indian War.

50. NOVELISTS – For his novel Little Dorrit, he invented the Circumlocution Office, a bureaucracy in which nothing gets done.

DadofTwins

#3 Post by DadofTwins » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:32 pm

Spoiler
1. Scarlet pimpernel
2. FOX
3. Potato Eaters
4. Ptarmigen
5. Biloxi
6. 1959
7. Hydrogen peroxide
8. The Sorbonne
9. Iridescence
10. Orange

11. Thesus
12. Ovid
13. Liberia
14. Abraham Lincoln
15. The Well-Tempered Clavier
16. Minneapolis
17. Mentor
18. Sri Lanka
19. Annie (Oakley)
20. El Nino

21. Cricket
22. Zwieback
23. Geroges Seurat
24. George
25. Vancouver
26. Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy
27. Jeopardy
28. House of Representatives
29. Joshua
30. Saving Private Ryan

31. Pasadena
32. Saturn
33. Leave It To Beaver
34. The Purloined Letter
35. Mekong
36. Alanis Morissette
37. How Green Was My Valley
38. Mont Blanc
39. The Grinch
40. Gallipoli

41. Checkpoint Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
42. Cataract
43. Jean Sibelius
44. Commodore
45. Ghosts
46. The Who
47. Singapore Sling
48. Run
49. Fort Necessity
50. Charles Dickens

gsabc

#4 Post by gsabc » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:53 pm

36 on a very fast run-through. Wouldn't mind that on the real thing.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

gsabc

#5 Post by gsabc » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:54 pm

Oh, and thanks, DoT.

earendel

#6 Post by earendel » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:54 pm

I got 39 out of 50, which I think would be a passing grade.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

ne1410s

#7 Post by ne1410s » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:54 pm

34 of 50.

I don't think that will cut it Wednesday night...

BTW, great quiz!!
"When you argue with a fool, there are two fools in the argument."

Jeemie

#8 Post by Jeemie » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:01 pm

35 of 50.

Seemed more difficult than the test I took 2 years ago.
1979 City of Champions 2009

Bob Juch

#9 Post by Bob Juch » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:03 pm

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Catfish

#10 Post by Catfish » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:13 pm

ne1410s wrote:34 of 50.

I don't think that will cut it Wednesday night...

BTW, great quiz!!
Do not fear. This test is far more difficult than either of the actual J! tests I took and passed.
Catfish

TheConfessor

Re: The Clues

#11 Post by TheConfessor » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:32 pm

Nice practice test. I think this one is wrong:
DadofTwins wrote: 25. CANADIAN CITIES – This city, host of the 2010 Winter Olympics, is on an island separated from the mainland’s west coast by the Strait of Georgia.
The host city is actually on the mainland. The Strait of Georgia separates the host city from the island with the same name. They are many miles apart.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#12 Post by ulysses5019 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:00 pm

38....w00t!
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

jsuchard

Re: The Clues

#13 Post by jsuchard » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:43 pm

Spoiler
1. CLAM
2. What is Fox
3. What is The Potato Eaters
4. What is Ptarmigan
5. What is Biloxi
6. What is 1959
7. What is Hydrogen Peroxide
8. What is Sorbonne
9. What is Iridescence (?)
10. What is Calico (?)

11. Who is Theseus
12. Who is Ovid
13. What is Liberia
14. Who is Lincoln (? Died in April?)
15. What are the Brandenberg Concertos (?)
16. What is St. Louis (?)
17. What is Mentor (? Sounds right, but still a guess)
18. What is Sri Lanka (Ceylon)
19. Who is Annie Oakley
20. What is El Nino

21. What is Cricket
22. What is Zweiback
23. Who is Seurat
24. What is George
25. What is Vancouver
26. What is Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (? probably wrong)
27. What is Jeopardy
28. What is the Senate (?)
29. What is Aaron (? maybe)
30. What is Saving Private Ryan

31. What is Pasadena (?)
32. What is Saturn
33. What is Leave It to Beaver
34. What is The Cask of Amontillado (? probably wrong)
35. What is the Mekong River
36. Who is Morrissette
37. CLAM [too "classic" for me apparently]
38. What is Mont Blanc
39. Who is the Grinch
40. What is Gallipoli

41. What is Checkpoint Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
42. What is Glaucoma (? fits, but never heard it that way)
43. Who is Sibelius [the Democrat response to the State of the Union speech was given by someone with a very similar name]
44. [I'll kick myself later]
45. Who are characters that are killed [hope you don't need anything more specific]
46. CLAM [can hear it in my head, but never paid attention to the band's name]
47. What is a Singapore Sling
48. What is RUN
49. What is Fort Necessity [this was covered in a question in Maddie's J game]
50. Who is Dickens (?)
38 out of 50

With one stupid, stupid error [Medically-related, of course]
* Either Arglebargle IV or someone else.

plasticene

#14 Post by plasticene » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:18 am

Great quiz! Definitely harder than the real thing, so nobody should fret if they don't get a "passing" score here.

gsabc

#15 Post by gsabc » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:21 am

plasticene wrote:42

Great quiz! Definitely harder than the real thing, so nobody should fret if they don't get a "passing" score here.
Yeah, well, I seem to recall DoT or someone else posting a similar practice test last year. I did okay there, but flamed the real thing. Luck of the stack, and all that.