Publishing News

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
Vandal
Director of Promos

Publishing News

#1 Post by Vandal » Thu Jul 25, 2024 9:28 pm

Most of it is not good. My most recent publisher, Pen It Publications, released me and many other authors from our contracts a few weeks back. This includes The Dragon's Song and Devin Drake and the Family Secret, plus the unpublished sequel Devin Drake and the Roller-Ghoster. The only positive out of the move was that they sent me all the proofs and artwork, which I am free to reuse if needed (unlikely).

It was not easy to find a publisher to republish a book, even more so a second time, like Dragon and Family Secret. It is also difficult to publish a sequel if the first one is in limbo.

There is some good news, though. Ten years after the publication of The Secret at Haney Field, I have completed and sent in the long-awaited sequel to the same publisher. If published, it will be book number nine and likely my last. Except for edits to existing manuscripts, I am retiring from fiction writing. I just don't have the ideas and skills I used to have.

Many thanks to Ms. Beebs for beta reading all of them for me. Thanks to Bored members who have supported me over the years.

It has been quite a journey.

Peace.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Secret At Haney Field: A Baseball Mystery
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man
The Dragon's Song by Binh Pham and R. M. Clark
Devin Drake and The Family Secret

Visit my website: http://www.rmclarkauthor.com

Ready: Devin Drake and The RollerGhoster

BackInTex

Re: Publishing News

#2 Post by BackInTex » Fri Jul 26, 2024 7:07 am

Bittersweet post to read.

Forget finding a publisher, you need a producer.

There is so little appropriate streaming content out there for pre-teens/young teens, it seems there would be a strong demand for a few made for kids movies.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

SportsFan68
No Scritches!!!

#3 Post by SportsFan68 » Fri Jul 26, 2024 9:52 am

Well, here's a piece of bad news.

The Dragon's Song is so good! Thank you for the look at a piece of history I knew nothing about.
-- In Iroquois society, leaders are encouraged to remember seven generations in the past and consider seven generations in the future when making decisions that affect the people.
-- America would be a better place if leaders would do more long-term thinking. -- Wilma Mankiller

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#4 Post by Beebs52 » Fri Jul 26, 2024 9:56 am

BiT has a good idea! Movies!
And it's been an honor.
Well, then

littlebeast13
Dumbass

#5 Post by littlebeast13 » Fri Jul 26, 2024 10:54 am

You pursued your passion with a lot more hard work and got a lot farther than most other people with a dream of writing for a living ever had. It's a shame you never got that one big break, but who knows.... much of your work is out there, and I'm pretty sure future best sellers have been yanked out of the clearance bin by influential people before.

BackInTex wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2024 7:07 am
Forget finding a publisher, you need a producer.
All of those big shot directors and actors who do promos for him.... you'd think they'd do him a favor.

lb13
Thursday comics! Squirrel pictures! The link to my CafePress store! All kinds of fun stuff!!!!

Visit my Evil Squirrel blog here: http://evilsquirrelsnest.com

mellytu74

#6 Post by mellytu74 » Fri Jul 26, 2024 4:54 pm

When I read the Subject, I was afraid the news would be something like this.

I second (or third) BiT's suggestion.

There is an untapped market out there for age-related content. Your books would make terrific web films or films for a streaming platform.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#7 Post by Vandal » Fri Jul 26, 2024 7:43 pm

Trying to sell a book's movie rights without an agent is a near impossible task, unless you know someone in "the biz", which I don't. I've had three agents and they all dropped me for various reasons, mainly they couldn't make any money off my books (via royalties or movie rights).

I thought The Dragon's Song was going to the one that allowed me to turn the corner, career-wise. I was sure my agent would find a large publisher and Binh Pham and I would make some good coin. The book would be sold to a producer who wants to make it into a series. Yay, us! Turned out to be pure fantasy on my part. Now it is only available through third-party book vendors and the copies that I own. I still love the book, but I guess it just isn't as good as I thought.

Thanks for all the kind words, folks.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

Bob78164
Bored Moderator

#8 Post by Bob78164 » Fri Jul 26, 2024 10:47 pm

Vandal wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2024 7:43 pm
Trying to sell a book's movie rights without an agent is a near impossible task, unless you know someone in "the biz", which I don't. I've had three agents and they all dropped me for various reasons, mainly they couldn't make any money off my books (via royalties or movie rights).

I thought The Dragon's Song was going to the one that allowed me to turn the corner, career-wise. I was sure my agent would find a large publisher and Binh Pham and I would make some good coin. The book would be sold to a producer who wants to make it into a series. Yay, us! Turned out to be pure fantasy on my part. Now it is only available through third-party book vendors and the copies that I own. I still love the book, but I guess it just isn't as good as I thought.

It happens I've spent the last ten weeks in trial with someone in "the biz." I have no idea whether your works are the type of property he'd be interested in, but I'd be happy to ask whether he'd like an introduction. --Bob
"Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear." Thomas Jefferson

silverscreenselect

#9 Post by silverscreenselect » Sat Jul 27, 2024 3:05 am

I'm sorry to hear this. I've read some of your books, and they're better than a lot of stuff that's selling a lot better out there. The Dragon's Teeth is especially good. Unfortunately, it may be the most difficult to film because it would have a larger cast and be more expensive.

I don't know whether you've considered re-publishing these books yourself or not. That may be a viable option because you already have a ten-book catalogue. Call yourself Vandal Press or whatever you want. Re-publishing ebooks cost very little. You can write a new introduction to the books so you can promote them as "new" material. You have a website. I don't know if you have an email list or not, but you can reach out to your facebook and twitter followers. I know there are a number of book review blogs that specialize in books for younger readers. You can search them out or join some of the ARC groups on Facebook (the trick there is finding people who can get you some meaningful publicity as opposed to those who just want a free read).

Keep plugging, and don't get discouraged. You've got a lot better catalogue than many other authors.
Check out our website: http://www.silverscreenvideos.com

Bob Juch

#10 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Jul 27, 2024 3:58 pm

Vandal wrote:

I think I told you some years ago that I talked you up with an agent. Unfortunately, he's now the head of programming for Nickelodeon.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Bob Juch

#11 Post by Bob Juch » Sat Jul 27, 2024 4:01 pm

silverscreenselect wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2024 3:05 am
I'm sorry to hear this. I've read some of your books, and they're better than a lot of stuff that's selling a lot better out there. The Dragon's Teeth is especially good. Unfortunately, it may be the most difficult to film because it would have a larger cast and be more expensive.

I don't know whether you've considered re-publishing these books yourself or not. That may be a viable option because you already have a ten-book catalogue. Call yourself Vandal Press or whatever you want. Re-publishing ebooks cost very little. You can write a new introduction to the books so you can promote them as "new" material. You have a website. I don't know if you have an email list or not, but you can reach out to your facebook and twitter followers. I know there are a number of book review blogs that specialize in books for younger readers. You can search them out or join some of the ARC groups on Facebook (the trick there is finding people who can get you some meaningful publicity as opposed to those who just want a free read).

Keep plugging, and don't get discouraged. You've got a lot better catalogue than many other authors.
You can publish yourself on Amazon, both paper books and Kindle books. I can tell you exactly how to do that if you're interested.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#12 Post by Vandal » Sat Jul 27, 2024 5:25 pm

Bob78164 wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2024 10:47 pm
Vandal wrote:

It happens I've spent the last ten weeks in trial with someone in "the biz." I have no idea whether your works are the type of property he'd be interested in, but I'd be happy to ask whether he'd like an introduction. --Bob
That would be great. Thank you. My website is www.rmclarkauthor.com and my email is vandalrmc@comcast.net
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

Vandal
Director of Promos

#13 Post by Vandal » Sat Jul 27, 2024 5:29 pm

Thanks for the advice and well wishes. I’m still exploring my options.
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

Vandal
Director of Promos

#14 Post by Vandal » Sat Jul 27, 2024 5:30 pm

Bob Juch wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2024 4:01 pm

You can publish yourself on Amazon, both paper books and Kindle books. I can tell you exactly how to do that if you're interested.
Thanks. I’ll let you know if I choose to go that route.
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

Beebs52
Queen of Wack

#15 Post by Beebs52 » Sat Jul 27, 2024 5:33 pm

Yes! Check it out.
Well, then

Vandal
Director of Promos

#16 Post by Vandal » Mon Aug 12, 2024 6:57 am

Bob Juch wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2024 4:01 pm

Check your PMs.
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man

Ritterskoop

#17 Post by Ritterskoop » Mon Aug 12, 2024 8:18 am

I'm certain that your next chapter will be a great part of the adventure. Best wishes.

Congrats on getting farther than many people who start this ride.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.

Vandal
Director of Promos

#18 Post by Vandal » Tue Aug 13, 2024 8:40 pm

My sequel to The Secret at Haney Field was rejected by the publisher today. It seems unlikely I will make it to my goal of ten published books.

Such is life in the shallow end of the publishing pool.
Available now:
The Right Hand Rule
Center Point
Dizzy Miss Lizzie
Running On Empty
The Tick Tock Man