RIP JD Souther

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BackInTex

RIP JD Souther

#1 Post by BackInTex » Wed Sep 18, 2024 7:23 am

JD Souther, Singer Who Co-Wrote Eagles Classics Like ‘New Kid in Town,’ Dies at 78

An "unofficial" Eagle
Souther was also known for acting roles on 'Nashville' and 'Thirtysomething,' as well as being a Songwriters Hall of Fame inductee associated with Linda Ronstadt and James Taylor.

JD Souther, the singer, songwriter and actor who co-wrote some of the biggest hits of the Eagles, like “New Kid in Town” and “Best of My Love,” and had a long solo career that included the top 10 hit “You’re Only Lonely,” died Tuesday at age 78. No cause of death was given but he was described by reps at Solters PR as dying peacefully at home in New Mexico.

Souther was about to go out for joint concert dates this fall with Karla Bonoff, another veteran of the 1970s Southern California singer-songwriter scene, and had performed as recently as five days ago.

Besides “New Kid” and “Best of My Love,” other compositions co-written by Souther that appeared on Eagles albums included “Heartache Tonight,” “Victim of Love,” “James Dean,” “Doolin-Dalton,” “The Sad Cafe,” “You Never Cry Like a Lover,” “Teenage Jail” and “Last Good Time in Town.” He was the sole writer of “How Long,” a cover the Eagles released in 2007 of a song Souther had first put out as a solo artist in 1972. His friendship with Don Henley extended to co-writing that artist’s classic “The Heart of the Matter” and several other tracks on Henley’s solo albums.
..what country can preserve it’s liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? let them take arms.
~~ Thomas Jefferson

War is where the government tells you who the bad guy is.
Revolution is when you decide that for yourself.
-- Benjamin Franklin (maybe)

Vandal
Director of Promos

Re: RIP JD Souther

#2 Post by Vandal » Wed Sep 18, 2024 1:46 pm

Linda Ronstadt wrote fondly of him in her autobiography, Simple Dreams: A Musical Memoir.. She called him John David, never JD.

Ritterskoop

Re: RIP JD Souther

#3 Post by Ritterskoop » Wed Sep 18, 2024 3:58 pm

I looked him up just today, when my local classic rock station played James Taylor and a mystery voice on "Her Town Too" - I wanted to know who the other vocal was.
If you fail to pilot your own ship, don't be surprised at what inappropriate port you find yourself docked. - Tom Robbins
--------
At the moment of commitment, the universe conspires to assist you. - attributed to Johann Wolfgang von Goethe.