Transcript 06/26/08 - Anthony Valente (carryover)

The forum for general posting. Come join the madness. :)
BBTranscriptTeam
Keeper of the Transcripts

Transcript 06/26/08 - Anthony Valente (carryover)

#1 Post by BBTranscriptTeam » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:06 pm

Guest Host: Leeza Gibbons

Anthony Valente
Falls Church, VA

Anthony is a Harvard grad from Staten Island who works for a think tank in Virginia.

Anthony's rooting section in this audience includes his dad, sister, grandmother and two aunts.

$16,000
The national flag of which of these countries features an image of the sun called the "Sun of May"?

A: Jordan B: Czech Republic
C: Lithuania D: Argentina

Leeza tells Anthony to keep playing that way and she'll give him the check for $1 million.

$25,000
In 1930, Mahatma Gandhi led a 240-mile march across India to the Arabian Sea to protest the British government's taxation of what?

A: Salt B: Ink
C: Wheat D: Textiles

Anthony: I think I know this one, too. Let me think about it, I want to make sure.

Leeza: You are cool as a cucumber! It's impressive! There's no lip quivering. There's no heel tapping. Nothing! Is your heart beating in there?

Anthony: Oh, yeah. Really fast! Just on the outside. Ummm, okay. Gandhi--I think I remember something about him wearing a sack or making his own clothes. I think it's D: Textiles. Yeah, final answer.

Anthony drops to $1,000.

Answers:
$16,000: D: Argentina
$25,000: A: Salt

sunflower
Bored Hooligan

#2 Post by sunflower » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:44 pm

Based on yesterday's performance, I am not at all surprised by this outcome!

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#3 Post by ulysses5019 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:47 pm

There's no heel tapping

Heel tapping? Is it now politically incorrect to tap your toes?
I believe in the usefulness of useless information.

AnnieCamaro
Four-Footer

#4 Post by AnnieCamaro » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:49 pm

ulysses5019 wrote:
There's no heel tapping

Don't tell my mom. She makes all kinds of noise with her feet.
Sou iu koto de.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#5 Post by ulysses5019 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:51 pm

AnnieCamaro wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:
There's no heel tapping

Don't tell my mom. She makes all kinds of noise with her feet.
Oh yeah. She clogs the airwaves with those clunky shoes.

AnnieCamaro
Four-Footer

#6 Post by AnnieCamaro » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:57 pm

ulysses5019 wrote:
She clogs the drain in the kitchen sink, too, and she doesn't even need her shoes.
Sou iu koto de.

ulysses5019
Purveyor of Avatars

#7 Post by ulysses5019 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:05 pm

AnnieCamaro wrote:
ulysses5019 wrote:
She clogs the drain in the kitchen sink, too, and she doesn't even need her shoes.
Are you sure it's not dog hair?

AnnieCamaro
Four-Footer

#8 Post by AnnieCamaro » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:19 pm

ulysses5019 wrote:
Are you sure it's not dog hair?
Hmmn. Maybe. I wonder if Lizbit has been washing her feet in the sink.

(It couldn't be my hair, because I am of a particularly short and sleek furrosity. Besides, if I had sheddy bits, I would have the good manners to keep them to myself.)
Sou iu koto de.

Bob Juch

#9 Post by Bob Juch » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:16 am

ulysses5019 wrote:
There's no heel tapping
Yes, especially in men's room stalls!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams (1952 - 2001)

Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to drive in New Jersey.

slam

#10 Post by slam » Fri Jun 27, 2008 5:33 am

Was the Argentina question that easy or was he just lucky to get something he knew? It seemed that it simply came down to knowing what the Argentinian flag looked like or that none of the other 3 had a sun on them. I'm not that knowledgable about national flags. I suppose if I were ever to get on this show or J! that's an area where some studying might help me.

MarleysGh0st

Re: Transcript 06/26/08 - Anthony Valente (carryover)

#11 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:13 am

BBTranscriptTeam wrote: $25,000
In 1930, Mahatma Gandhi led a 240-mile march across India to the Arabian Sea to protest the British government's taxation of what?

A: Salt B: Ink
C: Wheat D: Textiles

Anthony: I think I know this one, too. Let me think about it, I want to make sure.

Leeza: You are cool as a cucumber! It's impressive! There's no lip quivering. There's no heel tapping. Nothing! Is your heart beating in there?

Anthony: Oh, yeah. Really fast! Just on the outside. Ummm, okay. Gandhi--I think I remember something about him wearing a sack or making his own clothes. I think it's D: Textiles. Yeah, final answer.

Anthony drops to $1,000.
That was an outstanding job Leeza did of derailing Anthony in the middle of his deliberations over a question. Yeah, he was already heading down the wrong track, but she couldn't wait a few seconds to compliment him on his lack of lip quivering and heel tapping? :roll:

themanintheseersuckersuit

#12 Post by themanintheseersuckersuit » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:49 am

slam wrote:Was the Argentina question that easy or was he just lucky to get something he knew? It seemed that it simply came down to knowing what the Argentinian flag looked like or that none of the other 3 had a sun on them. I'm not that knowledgable about national flags. I suppose if I were ever to get on this show or J! that's an area where some studying might help me.
Its easy if you know it, I certainly didn't
Suitguy is not bitter.

feels he represents the many educated and rational onlookers who believe that the hysterical denouncement of lay scepticism is both unwarranted and counter-productive

The problem, then, is that such calls do not address an opposition audience so much as they signal virtue. They talk past those who need convincing. They ignore actual facts and counterargument. And they are irreparably smug.

gsabc

#13 Post by gsabc » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:01 am

slam wrote:Was the Argentina question that easy or was he just lucky to get something he knew? It seemed that it simply came down to knowing what the Argentinian flag looked like or that none of the other 3 had a sun on them. I'm not that knowledgable about national flags. I suppose if I were ever to get on this show or J! that's an area where some studying might help me.
I'm with you on this one. I would guess that the month of May has some importance in Argentina's history, which could be used to figure out the right answer as well.
I just ordered chicken and an egg from Amazon. I'll let you know.

MarleysGh0st

#14 Post by MarleysGh0st » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:11 am

gsabc wrote:I'm with you on this one. I would guess that the month of May has some importance in Argentina's history, which could be used to figure out the right answer as well.
The CIA Factbook says Revolution Day is May 25; I presume that's where the name comes from.

And for future reference:

Argentina:

Czech Republic:

Jordan:

Lithuania:

NellyLunatic1980

Re: Transcript 06/26/08 - Anthony Valente (carryover)

#15 Post by NellyLunatic1980 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:55 am

$25K: I never would've guessed salt. I thought it was either ink or textiles. I would've phoned a friend before locking in with anything.

Here's Fanny!
Peekaboo!

#16 Post by Here's Fanny! » Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:59 am

MarleysGh0st wrote:
gsabc wrote:I'm with you on this one. I would guess that the month of May has some importance in Argentina's history, which could be used to figure out the right answer as well.
The CIA Factbook says Revolution Day is May 25; I presume that's where the name comes from.
I know about the May Revolution because my sister's birthday is May 25 and it's always on those 'Today in history' things (meanwhile my birthday has several disasters. Ha!), but wasn't sure of the flag.

I know Lithuania's flag because there's a group of crazy Lithuanians who go to a lot of Nuggets' games and proceed to lose their shit over Linas Kleiza. It involves waving a flag and a group sing of the Lithuanian National Anthem.

Czech Republic I'd figure didn't have a sun because they have no sun.

Jordan I had no idea.

So, push come to shove, I'm going with Argentina.
Spoiler
I'm darned good and ready.

MarleysGh0st

#17 Post by MarleysGh0st » Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:56 am

A post on the J! board says that Anthony was a runner-up on a high school edition of Jeopardy! about five years ago.